PokeMon no longer a priority to GameFreak

Status
Not open for further replies.

BabyTyrant

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
What do you think about GameFreak trying to "diversify" and PokeMon not being a Priority to them any more?

I think it is a shame that the Franchise that has made up 97% of their sales is being treated like it doesn't matter all that much any more, they are focusing on other games as their priority and trying to make something else that is gonna be as successful as PokeMon

I think they are foolish for trying and its gonna end up not resulting in anything that will touch the success level of PokeMon

All they are doing is sabotaging what upcoming Pokemon game are going to be like, because the games are going to suffer as long as they divert money and resources away from PokeMon

I think the best we can hope for is that those other games fall flat and they realize the error of their ways

Last edited:
Pokemon lost the plot back in the late 2000s. Its basicly running off nostalgia anymore. If gamefreak was to double down on pokemon in this decade they would go bankrupt before the 2030. pokemon has not progressed well into the 3D format of gaming and have traditionally been anywhere from 10-15 years behind the technology curve in development plus eventually Nintendo will run dry on ideas.

w0lfpack91 said:
Pokemon lost the plot back in the late 2000s. Its basicly running off nostalgia anymore. If gamefreak was to double down on pokemon in this decade they would go bankrupt before the 2030. pokemon has not progressed well into the 3D format of gaming and have traditionally been anywhere from 10-15 years behind the technology curve in development plus eventually Nintendo will run dry on ideas.

Pokemon has been doing fine, worth $90 billion as a Franchise and apparently $16 Billion (or more) just for the Video Games

Yes I would agree that they could have done better with the last several Generations

I liked Gens 1-4 the most, 5 and 6 had some good Pokemon but they made a lot of mistakes

I liked Gen 7 (Sun and Moon), but disliked how they removed the data for most Pokemon to put it into the Storage System

Their storage system was a pretty good idea because it has simplified transferring Pokemon so much

I remember in the early days you had to get together with a Friend or Family Member and had to have 2 systems, 2 games, and a transfer cable hanging from one system to the other

Now you just connect to the online server, pay for the transfer service (which BTW is really cheap yearly) deposit them, and then transfer them to a new game, but it's a one way transfer from an Old Generation to a New Generation

They have an opportunity to really make Pokemon truly 3D and take advantage of the big jump from 3DS to the switch

But they are on a Specific schedule, they probably are only given a specific budget, and they are making some really poor choices out of fear that they will be replaced (By Niantic, which made Pokemon Go), I guess is their concern

Sure the quality may have stagnated and reached a peak a while ago, but the franchise is far from dead and makes a lot of money, too much to be treated like it is being treated

Pokémon took a dive imo after BW. I haven't kept up with much after then. I haven't cared for the designs the Pokémon and games took especially in terms of graphics. So whatever they've been doing I personally think they've been doing it "wrong"

Last edited:
I love Pokemon, but maybe a break is needed.

I don't want to see the franchise milked into the ground, but lately quality has been slipping on their recent games if you ask me.

I doubt Game Freak is completely abandoning Pokemon as it's such a cash cow, but I think it might be a good idea to branch out for a bit with new IPs while shelving Pokemon for a little bit until they get some new ideas.

Topex said:
Pokémon took a dive imo after BW. I haven't kept up with much after then. I haven't cared for the designs the Pokémon and games took especially in terms of graphics. So whatever they've been doing I personally think they've been doing it "wrong"

I never cared for most of the "Remixes" (Fire Red, Leaf Green, Heart Gold, Soul Silver, Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire and so on) to me they should have saved that work and put it into entirely new Games

But, when they can put in a little work, take 90% old Data and sell it as a "New Game", of course why wouldnt they?

And yeah in general some/alot of newer Pokemon just aren't as well thought up as old Pokemon or designed very well; not to mention running out of ideas and making many examples of Pokemon based off of the same concept ( much like how certain animals have probably been used as inspiration probably half a dozen times)

I may just skip over Sword and Shield, but idk yet, it depends on how badly they mess up everything I guess (the "no national dex" is only a part of that)

Sheepies said:
I love Pokemon, but maybe a break is needed.

I don't want to see the franchise milked into the ground, but lately quality has been slipping on their recent games if you ask me.

I doubt Game Freak is completely abandoning Pokemon as it's such a cash cow, but I think it might be a good idea to branch out for a bit with new IPs while shelving Pokemon for a little bit until they get some new ideas.

Of course they aren't giving up on Pokemon

They just dont care about it like they used to, so instead of it being Priority it is being worked on as "Project #2" with their other games being "Project #1" basically they have to make the Pokemon games, but it just isnt that important to them anymore

And the problem is they cant just stop making Pokemon, it's an empire

If the games get stalled, so does the TCG, so does the Cartoon, so does Merchandise

They consistently release new Pokemon stuff on a schedule, and have been keeping to that schedule for years

Last edited:
Pokemon has reached maximum complexity for Game Freak that's why they have a shave off some for sword and shield cuz if they want to upgrade the graphics of the game they have to cut the number of Pokemon
that's why they're looking into other games now they reached the limits of Pokemon

The people at game freak are artists, they wanted to make something other than pokemon and there's nothing wrong with that. Game Freak could have made Town and a fantastic Pokemon Game, Bethesda made fallout and elder scrolls for years, rockstar has GTA, Red Dead Redemption, and other good games like Bully.

Instead of cutting content they could have hired more staff, TPCI Nintendo and Game Freak all have the money
They could have given the game more development time
But in the long run, if you don't buy the game then they won't make profits so they'll either stop making games for a while or just make better ones. I don't think the boycott is unreasonable but I wouldn't want anyone to attack the creators personally.

Last Poke game I played was Snap for the N64 ...
So I am kind of lost past Gen 1 games.

SicartheaSpikefan said:
The people at game freak are artists, they wanted to make something other than pokemon and there's nothing wrong with that. Game Freak could have made Town and a fantastic Pokemon Game, Bethesda made fallout and elder scrolls for years, rockstar has GTA, Red Dead Redemption, and other good games like Bully.

Instead of cutting content they could have hired more staff, TPCI Nintendo and Game Freak all have the money
They could have given the game more development time
But in the long run, if you don't buy the game then they won't make profits so they'll either stop making games for a while or just make better ones. I don't think the boycott is unreasonable but I wouldn't want anyone to attack the creators personally.

Yes they could have made 2 Amazing games (Town could have been Amazing, and so could have SwSh) if they wanted to hire the extra help

It's not like $16 Billion in game sales for 8 Pokemon Generations is an insignificant amount of money; but clearly the Higher ups either dont care that much, or they really thought their decisions were good ones that would be well recieved

And no matter what, I cant see them actually losing money on Pokemon

They will still make easy profits, I am just hoping enough people refuse to buy the games to effect their sales numbers

If they see a significant reduction of sales compared to what they expect, and especially if Nintendo gets on them for it not meeting their sales expectations (no doubt they are counting on it to help sell Switches this Holiday Season, as many people will buy Nintendo Consoles just for Pokemon) then I could see them fixing their mess and adding in much more Pokemon

I dont get how anyone can say "Less Pokemon is a Good Thing" sure those people may not care about 99% of the Pokemon and may just want to play a new Pokemon game with New Pokemon in it; but a higher # of Pokemon adds versatility and there are a lot of fans out there will a complete "Living PokeDex" that buy every Main Title Pokemon Game, and even sometimes the Remasters/Remakes and side games.

Personally I believe GF is so full of excuses

We know the Animations are Reused and not "Brand New" like they said they would be; the Frame Rate is a lackluster 30 FPS instead of the 60 FPS that people were expecting; and the full game is incredibly short with almost no Post Game; and I have heard of all kinds of technical problems, and the wide open areas seem very empty, not to mention always on EXP Share and that stupid level lock that makes it so you need badges to even Capture Pokemon at/above certain levels (whereas before you could capture such creatures, but they wouldn't obey)

Not to mention way too much "Handholding" AKA you are where GF wants you to be for much of/most of the game; rather than it allowing you to do things how you want to

It's too bad because I have a Switch and would have loved to buy both versions; but they ruined any potential it had of being more than Mediocre with so many of my favorite Pokemon left out and unable to be transferred in

Gonna just say how I honestly feel, and please remember this is just my opinion. Also I am more likely to side with creators being one myself.

I feel people should look at the games for what they are and what they did give us (more customization options, a bunch of cool new pokemon, new ways to interact with pokemon etc) than what they didn't or what we have gotten in the past.

I dont see a need for having all the pokemon in every game. I play the tcg and never is every single pokemon available to have I your deck but it still is a great time. The national dex really just allows you to transfer up pokemon from past games and I dont feel that's needed for the current game to be successful and they've stated it will help change the competitive scene which is needed.
Also what it comes down to is Game Freak made it, we are the consumer. If you dont like it you dont have to buy it. Just because people are connected to a franchise does not mean they are entitled to make any decisions about it.

SparkleAlchemist said:
Gonna just say how I honestly feel, and please remember this is just my opinion. Also I am more likely to side with creators being one myself.

I feel people should look at the games for what they are and what they did give us (more customization options, a bunch of cool new pokemon, new ways to interact with pokemon etc) than what they didn't or what we have gotten in the past.

I dont see a need for having all the pokemon in every game. I play the tcg and never is every single pokemon available to have I your deck but it still is a great time. The national dex really just allows you to transfer up pokemon from past games and I dont feel that's needed for the current game to be successful and they've stated it will help change the competitive scene which is needed.
Also what it comes down to is Game Freak made it, we are the consumer. If you dont like it you dont have to buy it. Just because people are connected to a franchise does not mean they are entitled to make any decisions about it.

Getting rid of the National DeX for "competitive balancing" is BS

They could just as easily do it through modifying Pokemon stats, or banning Pokemon or specific moves from competitive modes; while allowing them to be transferrable into the game for Non-Competitive modes

The majority of Pokemon are not competitively viable in the 1st place and people tend to use a small sample that is easier to win with

People are mad at GF over getting rid of the National DeX because it was a feature fron Gens 3-7 and people like playing with the Pokemon they like

For me I like the Pokemon I like from a Design Standpoint, and I loved getting closer to 100% completion as well as breeding to raise and use the Pokemon that I liked

I am not quite "All or Nothing" but 400/900ish is a pretty low bar, they could have at least got in 60 or 70% of the Pokemon, rather than removing approximately 60%

If they fix the technical issues and add in like 200+ more Pokemon I could perhaps see getting SwSh; otherwise I can wait until out for a real satisfying Pokemon game

You take out 60% of the PokeDex, the game has a slew of Glitches, Forced EXP Share, and excessive Handholding/being stuck on a "rail" where GF dictates where you can go at what point, and you cant even catch Pokemon above a certain level until you have a certain badge.

I expect way more out of a $60 game, otherwise I can skip Pokemon and spend that money on games that actually look and feel like what you should get out of a $60 game

GF will keep being successful either way; but if they want the money from me and the more discerning fans they are gonna have to do a whole lot better than SwSh is in its current state

Last edited:
SparkleAlchemist said:

It has to do more with a broken promise basically. They said they were cutting out pokemon for shield so they could have higher quality animations. All we got is a 3ds port...........

CutePrincess said:
It has to do more with a broken promise basically. They said they were cutting out pokemon for shield so they could have higher quality animations. All we got is a 3ds port...........

Well that is a key part of it, but theres a lot more to it than that

I think a lot of the Dedicated fans buy Every Pokemon Generation for having all the Pokemon and the "customization" that brings to the experience

With many Pokemon being taken away via removal of the National DeX people had high Expectations; in part because they said the Animations would be new and implied it would be worth it to lose the National DeX

They said we would never have it again and that was the final decision, and it was "impossible" for them to keep having all the Pokemon (even though Storage Wise it is not and basically they implied a huge jump forward in Quality)

They lied, they tried to deceive their customers, implied the cut was gonna be small, said it was for newer higher quality animations

And they are incompetent and Lazy

This isnt some small "Indie Studio" they are worth $16 Billion; they could easily buy extra help to make better games; but GF has shown they arent trustworthy, make terrible decisions, and quite frankly dont even care about Pokemon

So they dont deserve to have it or the money it makes going forward

For $60 per copy the consumer deserves something as good as BoTW or Mario Odyssey, or many others that are true 9-10 Range games, rather than a game worthy of a 5 or 6 (and I feel that is generous given all the technical bugs being reported)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back