Plushies vs. blankies: Maybe not the same

Status
Not open for further replies.

teddy564339

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
No, this isn't a thread asking people whether they like plushies or blankies better. ;)

On TBN I used to post a bunch of completely random AB thoughts that I had to see what people thought. For whatever reason, I thought about this again today and was curious to hear what people here will have to say.

For me, I had always grouped plushies and blankies together, and thought that their purpose and use was almost synonymous to me. They're both things that are soft and cuddly that kids get comfort from. Most of us (at least for those of us in Western cultures) had at least one of the two when we were young kids and they were special to us.

I had just assumed that which of the two someone had as a kid was irrelevant, that they served the same purpose, and some people were more fond of plushies, while others more fond of blankets, and that there was no real reason for a preference of one over the other. For example, I was more of a stuffed animal kid, while my brother had a blanket that he was attached to. But as I started to think about it, I started thinking that the two things actually seem to serve different needs/purposes.

Now, this may just be based on my own experience, and I'm sure that it's not the case for everyone. But it seems to me that security blankets are more comfort/security, while plushies are more for protection/loneliness. Now, the lines are kind of blurry on all of this, but hear me out.

When I think of kids, it usually seems that security blankets are things that they tend to carry around more, while plushies are more for sleeping at night. I'm not saying that there aren't kids who carry around plushies during the day and that there aren't kids who like to sleep with their blankies for comfort, but it seems like there?s more of them the other way around.

Security blankets seem to help kids out during the day. Kids get nervous in new situations, and they don't feel mentally secure or safe. They may even have some form of anxiety, especially if they're away from parents. It's like it's just a soft object that gives them reassurance and reminds them of things that they're comfortable with, like home. It's like they're attached to the object by connection.

With plushies, it seems to be more of something that offer kids a way from being lonely. Kids seem more likely to sleep with plushies because they?re afraid of being alone in the dark, away from parents. Plushies almost offer more physical protection in kids' minds...monsters don't seem quite so scary when someone else is there...like a plushie friend to keep you company. Besides, even adults sleep with blankets...not security ones, but just normal ones for warmth. It doesn't seem like a blankie offers the same kind of comfort in a sleeping situation...it's not a friend who can offer company and protection.

I mean, plushies represent actual animals, which can be easily substituted as an actual friend or companion with its own mind (especially if kids already have pets and see how active and friendly they can be). So it seems like they actually represent an actual being that can be a friend...something to offer protection and fight loneliness. I mean, I'm sure some kids give their blankies personas and act like it?s a real friend, but it seems plushies fit this mould a lot more.

So generally, it seems to me that a kid is more likely to carry around a security blanket during the day to deal with stresses and new situations because it reminds them of things they're familiar with, whereas plushies seem to offer companionship that offers company in lonely or scary situations, like sleeping at night in the dark.

So, both things do offer a form of attachment and comfort, but it seems like they aren't necessarily exactly the same. Now again, I'm generalizing on all of this, so don't think I'm trying to set anything in stone. But these were just things that popped up in my mind. Anyone care to share their own experiences or thoughts on this?

(By the way, if you think is the silliest over-analyzation of a simple AB thing, you haven't seen anything yet ;) )

Takashi

Always willing to give help to those who seek it.
Est. Contributor
Role
Carer
I don't have that much of an oppintion on the subject but it is a very interesting argument.

Squigma

Est. Contributor
Role
Babyfur
I've never had a blankie as far as I can remember, but I would quite like to get a nice soft blanket I can cuddle one day. I've never really seen much of a connection between blankets and plushies though - plushies are all about having a personality, and being a friend without all the hassle of people. I suppose, though, some people might not want that and a blankie could serve the same purpose but in a different way.

Wait... did I just follow your chain of reasoning, but backwards? :confused:

Kraiden

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Humphrey Sez: Both are soft and huggable, so it doesn't really matter!! Except plushies have persomalities, and blankies don't!!

But blankies and plushies together is the bestest! Nighttime hugglesnugs under a cozy blanket is the best way to keep the boogeyman away!!

calibf

Contributor
Role
Babyfur
I think I have to agree with you. I never had plushies as a child, but always had a blankie handy.

You can wrap yourself in a blankie, hide under it, let it provide warmth, etc. Even as a teenager I always had a blanket wrapped around me.

Pramrider

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Other
I think I have to agree with you. I never had plushies as a child, but always had a blankie handy.

You can wrap yourself in a blankie, hide under it, let it provide warmth, etc. Even as a teenager I always had a blanket wrapped around me.
That was true of me also, except my original blankie had *disappeared* by my teen years. :frown: I don't recall ever having a special plushie I would sleep or play with. I do remember enjoying snuggling up underneath my baby blanket, even when I was getting too big for it to cover me completely unless I balled myself up under it.

This thread brings back fond memories of coming home from elementary school, taking off my school clothes, covering up with my blankie, and taking a nap on the couch.:smile:

~Pramrider

Kraiden

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Don't mean to shift this topic, but... I kinda think this picture is strangely appropriate.

AbbeyJunction

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur, Sissy, Carer, Other
Humphrey Sez: Both are soft and huggable, so it doesn't really matter!! Except plushies have persomalities, and blankies don't!!

But blankies and plushies together is the bestest! Nighttime hugglesnugs under a cozy blanket is the best way to keep the boogeyman away!!
I agree!

C_C_C_Otter

Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur
To Kraiden:
You say blankets don't have personalities, and plushies do.... Well... time to tell MY story, I guess.

I never had a stuffed animal... well, Ok, I had a bear when I was a baby, with a music box built into it, But that was it, when I grew up it went into storage, don't remember much about it.

I did however have a blankie. It's name was Sleepa. I took it everywhere, It got so roughed up and broken down that a small section ripped off, and I named it Ragtime. I took them both everywhere until 1 day they went missing (Got put in my baby book) I never got over the whole security blanket thing, I take a blanket around with me just about everywhere around the house, but not outside, usually...

Blankets have plenty of character, especially if you take them along with you, Mine has battle scars and bloodstains, Patches, all sorts of things...

As for the plushie thing, I solved my loneliness issue by sleeping curled up next to my cell phone ,and calling someone before bed every night...

Kraiden

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
To Kraiden:
You say blankets don't have personalities, and plushies do.... Well... time to tell MY story, I guess.

I never had a stuffed animal... well, Ok, I had a bear when I was a baby, with a music box built into it, But that was it, when I grew up it went into storage, don't remember much about it.

I did however have a blankie. It's name was Sleepa. I took it everywhere, It got so roughed up and broken down that a small section ripped off, and I named it Ragtime. I took them both everywhere until 1 day they went missing (Got put in my baby book) I never got over the whole security blanket thing, I take a blanket around with me just about everywhere around the house, but not outside, usually...

Blankets have plenty of character, especially if you take them along with you, Mine has battle scars and bloodstains, Patches, all sorts of things...

As for the plushie thing, I solved my loneliness issue by sleeping curled up next to my cell phone ,and calling someone before bed every night...
Character is one thing, but I don't see a lot of children projecting a personality onto their blankets. *shrug*

IncompleteDude

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I sometimes pretended my blanket was an alien trying to eat me. That's a kind of personality, I guess.

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Little
While I can agree with you it wasn't that way for me. I have my Blanky, as you may have noticed by the capital letter, it was named and to me had a personality. I might have had some plushies but they didn't really mean a lot to me, they were on my bed but if they'd have gone I would probably hardly notice. However I always slept (sleep) with my Blanky (meaning in my life I've missed 2 nights as far as I can remember). True, it's a bit beaten up, it got replaced once when I was 4 but it's still here and as long as I can I'll continue sleeping with it. (I even take it anywhere I'll stay the night). Trust me, nobody asks.

Rosy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
So generally, it seems to me that a kid is more likely to carry around a security blanket during the day to deal with stresses and new situations because it reminds them of things they're familiar with, whereas plushies seem to offer companionship that offers company in lonely or scary situations, like sleeping at night in the dark.

So, both things do offer a form of attachment and comfort, but it seems like they aren't necessarily exactly the same. Now again, I'm generalizing on all of this, so don't think I'm trying to set anything in stone. But these were just things that popped up in my mind. Anyone care to share their own experiences or thoughts on this?
I can certainly see where you're coming from when you say a blanket is carried around during the day to help you deal with stresses etc. However, I don't know of many children who are actually allowed to bring their blanket around with them. I could be wrong, but I really never see it. When I was a child, it was certainly something I longed for, but it was never really allowed, and it's only as an adult that I do it (discreetly). However, you often see kids with soft toys, and it usually seem totally acceptable to see children carrying around soft toys and sleeping with them. I think blankets are much more socially unacceptable, and even if children wish to carry them around, I don't think it's often allowed.

I certainly agree, though, that blankets and soft toys don't offer the same kind of comfort. Toys are definitely more companions and play mates, whereas blankets offer straightforward comfort and support. I'm not saying one is less important than the other though: they can be equally important, or one can be more important than the other, depending.

mizzycub

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur
If I remember correctly, I was never really attached to them as much as some children are. I didn't carry my blanket round, and on the occasions we went somewhere and forgot my blanket or my plushies I don't think I was especially worried about it. I think this might be partly because my blankies and plushies often got changed to different ones, so I never really became attached. Even know, I can't remember their names :eek:. At the moment the two that I have gotten back are nameless until I remember what I used to call them - don't want to hurt their feelings, y'know? :rolleyes:

I understand what you are getting at exactly, and see how it could be the case for some, maybe even a lot of people, but I can't really say how much it applied to me.

However, I do have a distinct seperation between my blanky and my plushies now. For one, my plushies are distinctly TB for me. I haven't got much to do with them when I am not, to some degree, actively being TB. I really like them and stuff but I just don't have much contact with them.

My blanky however, has other purposes. Even when I am not being especially babyish, I love to wrap myself up in my blanket as tight as possible. It just feels so good. I will find myself snuggling it, even when I am not practising TB, I'll just be in bed and realise it is in my arms.

A very interesting, if over-analytical. Not that there is anything wrong with over-analysis, if I thought that then I would be an extreme hypocrite.

teddy564339

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
Ha ha...unlike when I posted this at TBN years ago, there have actually been some very detailed and thought out responses to this whole silly situation.

It looks like a good number of people have found blankies to have more personality that I had been generally thinking. I find that interesting...especially because I never really had one as a kid, so it's harder for me to draw on that experience.

I do agree that blankies seem much more socially embarrassing or unacceptable than plushies. Like...when I have certain *B fantasies, blankies are more appealing in some ways because they feel more juvenile, and more babyish...like diapers and pacifiers. Like, it's embarrassing to still have one. With plushies, however...they seem like more of a cute thing to have.

It does seem like most people agree that while both are comfort objects, they don't serve exactly the same purpose. But outside of the *B/DL community, I've never heard anyone, not even parents of babies, talk about the differences between them. Like, the few times I've had conversations with people about the stuff we had as kids, plushies and blankies have always fit in the same category.

I just think it's a fun topic to talk about, I guess. ;) Besides, where else can it be discussed but here?

Maybe I should post some more of my weird/over-analyzed *B thoughts...as long as people don't start thinking I'm TOO crazy. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.