Pls answer this techy boffins

Status
Not open for further replies.

funkybeanie

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
i'm bringing this up again cause i never really got a clear answer 1st time.
Will u techy boffins ever allow it so i can use the chat functions on this site Via a playstation 3?
it's taken for granted that everybody uses a PC - i dont have a PC :(
i feel like i'm only peering in the shop window with these forums and all the real action is taken place behind closed doors....
Let me in :(

BerkoBear

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Carer
Remember that the PS3 has a very basic browser so it may not be possible to access the chat room ever. Guess it depends though.

Badger

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
It's not really up to the ADISC admins. The chat client linked to at the top of the forum is more likely to run in an unusual browser than most other options (e.g. a Java applet or a full standalone IRC client), but it's still pretty complex. There isn't really a sensible alternative that will work on the PS3.

Hex

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Sissy
[font="Calibri,Arial"]It's not a matter of allowing it or otherwise - for a PS3 to access the IRC chat, someone has to make an IRC client that works on the PS3. Which is easier said than done. I'm sure the admins would love that any device ever could access all parts of the site, but they can't summon a PS3-capable IRC client out of thin air.

Do you have a mobile phone? Some mobiles are capable of using mibbit to access IRC. If it's a smartphone, it may have an IRC app on it. You might have more luck using that than the PS3 (also, it'd be pretty pointless using IRC on a PS3, by the time you've typed a reply, the conversation will have moved on)[/font]

Ben

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Other
The chat tech being used is one of the oldest chat technologies possible. It has the advantage of having stand alone clients that give people alot more features and control than any browser based chat room could ever have.

Also by my understanding the ps3 can have linux installed on it which would certainly allow you to visit the adisc site though that would be quite involved to do.

Also by my reading many other chat options wouldn't work on the PS3.

Ages ago there was an attempt to get people to use a browser based chat room. I and many other members hated it. While there were a few people who used it the vast majority of people stuck with irc.

I don't even know if that one would work on the ps3 though... depending on the tech involved it is quite possible a browser based chat still wouldn't work on the ps3.

A possible solution to your problem might be mibbit. It allows you to access irc over a browser.

recovery

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
Following from what Ben said, Try Mibbit, Although the browser is basic, I can't see why it won't accept basic Javascript/AJAX.

Also, if you have the old PS3 (i.e. not the Slim) here is a few links to look at to get linux on it. It's like having an OS similar to Windows. That will basically turn your PS3 into more like a computer. IIRC you can easily plug in a keyboard and mouse with USB. So would really be like a real PC! and that hardware is usually relatively cheap.

Here is some links to look at

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PlayStation_3
Linux on the PlayStation 3 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Grutzvalt

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
If you can access Mibbit, then you can get on. Just make sure you have a keyboard.

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
  1. Private
The chat is just IRC.

If you can find an IRC client that works on your console, you can use that to connect.

Status
Not open for further replies.