please use substantial reasons when adding rep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
Private
For those of you who don't know, I make a point of, once a month, reviewing all rep given in that month and deleting any that doesn't conform to the rules of how rep should be given.

Please, use substantial reasons when giving rep.

Examples of a substantial reason are :
* funny
* helping a newbie
* insightful
* wise
* politely expressed
* informative

Real examples of invalid rep given recently :
* <3 <3!
* +1!
* ;)
* Small Penis
* for gradually growing a larger penis <3
* asgfhjashlrtkhwktjhqjkwehruietyaioewuioryqweiur1337
* *sigh*
* showing your support for yawgmoth
* +1 for my Schnookums!
* ~
* ...*facepalm*
* +1, cause red rep is no fun ;_;
* F*cking stupid
* No
* Unjustily negative rep't by DS.
* Haw!
* -.-
* Yawgmoth approves of your review.
* Stinky Squishy Goodness
* Is good!
* w00t
* the peach nees

Real examples of valid rep given recently :
* A short, alterior look at the situation at hand -- it could have been said no better
* A very truthful and helpful guide which I enjoyed
* Thanks for the welcome!
* Nicely put :)
* It was hard to pick just one post to agree with, but I agree fully with all of them. It's nice to see someone who's not afraid to tell it like it is!
* Ergh, there was no need to bump it. Just leave it be and people will respond.
* If you're going to insult a programme you should at least learn to spell it first.
* I can finally give ye reputation again, I was mistaken when I removed a point .-. Besides, I think I was tired or something when I did that -_-'
* There is no need for that kind of treatment even to newbies..even if they are creepy.
* You did not deserve neg rep dude, heres for being a trooper!
* You type in proper english, you use punctuation, very few spelling mistakes, decent sized, informative posts. I LOVE your personality! *hugglez*
* This seems unlikely.

If the rep scorings you have been giving have reasons closer to the invalid examples above than the valid examples, now is the time to visit http://www.adisc.org/forum/repextras.php - select "reputation given" from the drop-down menu, and use the button to edit the reasons attached to the rep you have given (or delete it if there isn't a good reason for it).

I'll be looking over the rep again in the next few days, and anything without a valid reason is going to get deleted.
Remember: I do care about the rep system. If someone has unjustified rep on their file, you can post in the requests forum to get me to check all rep they have got and sent. You don't need to give them rep to reverse other scorings you see as unjustified. Doing that just means I have twice as much invalid rep to delete.

There are already around 20 pages of rep scorings/comments for me to wade through since the forum came online. Please don't make this job unnecessarily difficult for me by cluttering the rep system with obviously invalid scorings.

By all means give/take rep, but do it for the right reasons, and please, please take the time to type out a decent reason when you submit it.

avery

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
hee hee. it's crazy how many of the examples you gave of invalid reasons are from rep points given to me. i'm going to lose like half of my rep when you go through and prune it out. :p

Corri

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Incontinent, Carer
Oh...so the one rep I gave Peachy to VIP him got taken away?

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
Private
hee hee. it's crazy how many of the examples you gave of invalid reasons are from rep points given to me. i'm going to lose like half of my rep when you go through and prune it out. :p
Maybe. I'm not sure... I wasn't making a note of who was giving/getting the invalid rep.

I'm sure you'd get the lost rep back, though. From what I remember, your posts are the kind that attract valid rep.

Role
Diaper Lover
Lots of my positive rep I've given, looking back on it now, don't look like they are substantial, but the reason I gave them is usually because I thought what the person said was funny. In case your looking over mine and wondering WTF is he talking about!

Last edited:

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
Private
Lots of my positive rep I''ve given, looking back on it now, don't look like they are substantial, but the reason I gave them is usually because I thought what the person said was funny. In case your looking over mine and wondering WTF is he talking about!
You can easily use the link above to find and then edit the reputation reasons for the rep you have given.

Raccoon

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur,
For those of you who don't know, I make a point of, once a month, reviewing all rep given in that month and deleting any that doesn't conform to the rules of how rep should be given.

Please, use substantial reasons when giving rep.

Real examples of invalid rep given recently :
* <3 <3!
* +1!
* ;)
* Small Penis
* for gradually growing a larger penis <3
* asgfhjashlrtkhwktjhqjkwehruietyaioewuioryqweiur1337
* *sigh*
* showing your support for yawgmoth
* +1 for my Schnookums!
* ~
* ...*facepalm*
* +1, cause red rep is no fun ;_;
* F*cking stupid
* No
* Unjustily negative rep't by DS.
Please, please give us more of this :thumbsup: - this is educational and hilarious :rockon:
The list of rep given is grrrrrrreat & being able to review and edit the comments is way useful. We might well see warning neg-rep: shots being fired over bows; whether that is a good or bad thing will be interesting to watch.

ayanna

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
Wow! A couple of those 'valid' reasons for giving rep were either given by me or to me!!

Then again...I tend to post rather long winded explanations of why I'm giving the rep...and then I sign it (in a special way) :-D

Vladimir

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
When I neg rep, it's not for a precise reason, it's just for the user's attitude in general... ^^;;

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
Private
So you should use reputation reasons like these :
"combative attitude"
"needlessly offensive"
"picking on people for no reason"

The key is : use something that I will understand.
Something I can read with the post and say "yes, I can see what he means by that", rather than something that makes me think "this makes no sense to me!".

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
Private
Please, please give us more of this :thumbsup: - this is educational and hilarious :rockon:
The list of rep given is grrrrrrreat & being able to review and edit the comments is way useful. We might well see warning neg-rep: shots being fired over bows; whether that is a good or bad thing will be interesting to watch.
Glad you think the invalid ones are amusing.

I've edited the first post to include a few more examples of them.

As to how being able to edit/retract your rep will affect things... I'm not sure.
Bear in mind that the editing addon normally has a time limit of 5 minutes, after which you can't edit/retract the rep anymore.
I've disabled the time limit entirely for the purposes of this thread, so that people can freely edit/delete the rep they have given, and thus I have less work to do myself.
However... after this thread is over, the time limit will probably return, probably set at 3-7 days or so. Anyone wishing to do 'shots across the bow' will have to make them pretty speedy.

Vladimir

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
When I neg rep, it's not for a precise reason, it's just for the user's attitude in general... ^^;;
The ****? I got neg repped for saying that!?
Sorry for saying that, but whoever did that, you're pissing me off, bitch.
And sorry for reviving a 3-week old thread. Feel free to contribute to my moderation.

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
Private
The ****? I got neg repped for saying that!?
Sorry for saying that, but whoever did that, you're pissing me off, bitch.
And sorry for reviving a 3-week old thread. Feel free to contribute to my moderation.
The Forum Rules said:
* If you bring up negative rep you have got outside the requests forum, you will get more negative rep, and the mods will not review either rep.
You really should know better by now, DarkSunDS.

Raccoon

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur,
* If you bring up negative rep you have got outside the requests forum, you will get more negative rep, and the mods will not review either rep.
Absolutely terrific rule. Simple, precise, and effective. (Though I assume it refers to complaining about negrep; not boasting of it and proudly displaying it on your living room walll.)

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
Private
Yup, it is intended to stop people complaining, not to stop people displaying their negrep on their living room wall :p

Vladimir

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
You really should know better by now, DarkSunDS.
I don't read all posts in the Administrative forum.
And I get neg repped for something that was... I think it was 3 weeks old. But I don't mind, you'd day I deserve it anyways.
Do you see all issues caused by reputation, at least?

On an unrelated note since the thread is locked, what the hell is wrong with memes?

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
Private
Note to self : never assume that people won't take your joke suggestion seriously.
DarkSunDS said:
I don't read all posts in the Administrative forum.
And I get neg repped for something that was... I think it was 3 weeks old. But I don't mind, you'd day I deserve it anyways.
Do you see all issues caused by reputation, at least?
:angry:
IIRC, you were told weeks ago that bringing up the neg rep you got outside the requests forum will result in negative rep.

I know of a few issues with reputation... but I don't know which you are referring to by "all".
With regard to the memes thing... see the thread about memes.

Frankly, I don't really want to get into any discussion of these topics in *this* thread, as this thread has a very different topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.