Plastic patterned baby nappies?

Marting

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
Hi all. I've been wondering: a lot of modern abdl diapers have all over designs and are plastic backed. Vintage plastic nappies mainly had just the pictured landing strip. My question is this. Was there a crossover where they had all over design but were still plastic backed? Or was the all over design era only cloth backed?

I certainly believe there was a time where they'd had an all over print and plastic backed I have some Peaudouce smurf print reflecting this. I'm guessing not all brands went this way though.

wowser81 said:
I certainly believe there was a time where they'd had an all over print and plastic backed I have some Peaudouce smurf print reflecting this. I'm guessing not all brands went this way though.
Oh cool. Do you have pictures of the smurf ones?

There were some, yeah, but they were unusual. The only ones I remember well were the Luvs Phases and Luvs Deluxe diapers of the early 90's, but I'm sure there were a few more. For example:

OIP.Ggd5T4iXOLw-9bKtoXqgxAAAAA.jpeg
Vtg-Luvs-Phases-for-Girls-Diapers-Plastic-Diapers.jpg

Also, about ten years ago, there was a product called Cool Diaps. They were hybrid baby diapers, plastic-backed but with hook-and-loop tabs, sold more as a novelty than as a serious product. They had all-over prints as well: peace signs, smilies, and zebra stripes. I bought some and made a post about them back in the day, but it's been archived. You can find more pictures on Google. Here's what the package looked like (they were sold only in threes):

81kbBWF-vLL.jpg

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: Mapboy, BlameBaby, FudgedInLuvs and 5 others
  • Love
Reactions: happiestmoon, Cottontail and Marting
Cottontail said:
There were some, yeah, but they were unusual. The only ones I remember well were the Luvs Phases and Luvs Deluxe diapers of the early 90's, but I'm sure there were a few more. For example:

View attachment 104464
View attachment 104465

Also, about ten years ago, there was a product called Cool Diaps. They were hybrid baby diapers, plastic-backed but with hook-and-loop tabs, sold more as a novelty than as a serious product. They had all-over prints as well: peace signs, smilies, and zebra stripes. I bought some and made a post about them back in the day, but it's been archived. You can find more pictures on Google. Here's what the package looked like (they were sold only in threes):

View attachment 104466
How cool. A bit like Tykables!

Marting said:
How cool. A bit like Tykables!
They were neat. If they'd been available in larger sizes and larger quantities I'd have had more fun with them. I really liked the zebra ones, but as they only came in size 4, no amount of modding could make them suitable for my big butt, LOL.

Reactions: happiestmoon and Marting
download.jpg4857070882_b0ed34bc54_b.jpg919b58097b35a3c627bb918e8a63fa72.jpgbenetton_diapers_ebay.jpg

• Love
Reactions: wowser81, PaddedRita, baliebox4916 and 2 others

About plastic all over prints....

Luvs did a run of all over printed diapers in the very early 90's. Boys print had oxford stripes and the girls print was little flowers. Pampers did this too but added sesame street characters in the front tape zone. Generally variations of these diapers stopped when Luvs was discontinued as the "luxury diaper brand."

What I've been looking for though is a diaper that was done in the mid 90's and sold exclusively for Target. They were called "Show-Off's" and had bright color prints.

Reactions: happiestmoon
Really like some of the girlish patterns and prints!! Just so cute !!

In Australia, Kimbies and Cosies were plastic-backed with fade-when-wet prints. Kimbies had blocks with letters and the letters would fade when the nappy was wet. I don't have photos but it appeared Kimberly-Clark reused an idea from the US featured on Kleenex nappies:

lODlXlP.jpg

Reactions: wowser81 and Marting
Back