Plastic Pants: Are they overated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LinusBlueSnow

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I've been thinking about whether I should get a pair of plastic pants or not, but do they feel the same as plastic backed diapers when you wear them? I've heard they handle leaks a lot better which would be great for when I'm trying different store brands like CVS, walgreens, etc. but I was wondering if anyone who has tried them or wears them could give me some info on some of the pros and cons of plastic pants before I actually bought a pair. Any info that anyone could give on plastic pants is appreciated. Thanks guys!

Aki

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I've never used them but... they control leaks a lot better than just diapers. But the plastic heats up the area down there a lot, it traps body heat.

tom

Role
Diaper Lover
Yer, not that I've tried them, but from what I hear, the crinkly noise is increased (could be a pro or a con) and it traps in heat.

Trevor

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur
I suppose they could be a little helpful with disposables. The plastic is different from a plastic backed diaper (has to be, since these aren't meant to be thrown away after a single use), but they vary depending on the kind of pants you get. It's a personal taste thing.

I don't really like them much with disposables as they additionally trap the heat which can work against the integrity of the tapes. Also, if there is a leak, there's nothing absorbant, it's just catching it, so it's strictly a short-term fix. I prefer to know the capacity of the diaper I'm using and not push it, but if you only have access to bad diapers, I guess they might help. If you ever wanted to try cloth (which are nice in their own way), you'll already have the pants handy.

LinusBlueSnow

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Thanks Trevor, I'm not sure if I'll try cloth anytime soon (maybe when I'm living alone), the diapers I wear don't usually leak, if they do it's usually something I did (like not make sure the pampers size 7 I use as a stuffer wasn't sticking out from the outer diaper's leak guards).

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I think that if you want to be able to wear your diapers a bit longer, then they would be very good, since they would hold in some leaks...If you're worried about the heat, then don't wear them where it's too hot...You should be fine wearing in your house without too much trouble with heat and such

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent,
I have some for use with my cloth diapers. I find them pointless with disposables. They are too warm and make me sweat. Plus any leaks they catch just stay in the pants until you change... then it runs out everywhere b/c there is nothing to absorb it.

ballucanb

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
They do work with disposeables, however they do cause excess moisture to collect on the outside of the diaper, and that makes the tapes let go alot quicker.

I use them from time to time, I bought a whole bunch of cheap ones in medium and large from carolwrightsgifts.com there a mail order place that sells household junk.

But they do hold up good I put them through the wash and put them in the dryer, and only had to throw away a few, well worn pairs.

LinusBlueSnow

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Thanks everyone, pojo that's exactly what I'm going to do (I figure my basement is the coldest and I usually sleep down there so I think I'll try it one night). Darkfinn, thanks I'm going to take them off in a tub or shower I just hope that if I have any leaks that they don't stain the plastic pants. Thanks for the info everyone, I'm gonna try getting some blue plastic pants. If I succeed, then I'll definitely post up pictures.

Shupie

Contributor
Role
Adult Baby
I have a pair of plastic pants that I wear my with disposable if I feel it's not going to hold up well. Tapes tend to pop right away for me, blah~ They're good for leaks, and trap a lot of oder, too. But yeah, they get really hot with disposables, so I try not to wear any pants over them if I can help it. You don't reeeally need them if you're not wearing cloth diapers though, unless you want something really cute over your diapers since they do sell different designs online.

doubledbbw

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I guess for me no. Plastic pants are not over rated. As a matter of fact I love them! I always wear them when diapered. Like it was stated earlier in this thread by other members they help in controlling leaks and odor. And if worn correctly can keep the noise from a disposable from being to loud.:):)

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Historically they were designed to be worn with cloth. That's what I would have had when I was a real baby...haha....had to be specific. Then when my kids were babies, we often used them with their disposables when they were "dressed up" and going out, so that if they had a big, and I emphasize big, mess, the plastic would help keep it from leaking through their clothes.

I usually wear cloth since that is my background and of course plastic. But I sometimes wear goodnites, and since they don't hold very much, I wear plastic with them when I go to bed, so I am reasonably safe from leaks. They are indeed hotter, and they can cause their own odor problems. Also, they will deteriate and become brittle and split if you don't wash them in some sort of grease breaking soap. I simply use my shampoo while I'm in the shower. I hope this helps.

CarKid

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Other, Private
I don't get why people that have never used plastic pants are posting on this as they have no experience with them.

Anyways, I find them very helpful for leaks but they are only a short term fix, as they will leak after alittle bit if you don't wipe up the mess in them.

Pluses: Help control leaks, quiet down the sound of the diaper, give you peace of mind that you won't have a wet spot on your pants if you leak and are just cool to wear as they complement the diaper.

Downsides: Trap in heat which makes you sweat alot and is uncomfortable in the summer, they are not availible in most stores and they are pricey and some people don't like the presure the bands put on there legs.

Well I hope this helps you and good luck with buying some.

ballucanb

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I think the main reason is the cost, if you buy good plastic pants they can set you back about 20 bucks.

And most of the bigger guys can't even think about buying baby or toddler pants.

Like I said earlyer in this thread you can buy some cheapo pants I got those for about 3 bucks a pop, but they don't fit as good as the expensive ones.

I have 2 pair of those and the cost me over 20 bucks each, but there great with cloth, because there big enough to hold a full bath towel.

Abercrombiestud

Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I have been wearing plastic pants for as long as I can remember and I will tell you that the texture of the plastic will vary each time you buy new plastic pants. I have never wore adult plastic pants, I have only worn Gerber Toddler size and size 3T plastic pants. At times the plastic is really soft and will feel like the plastic on the old plastic backed diapers and other times the plastic is hard and will rip very easily. The most recent 6 pack of 3T vinyl pants(assorted prints) I picked up at Walmart for 4.98 had semi soft plastic and was one of the better packs I have picked up recently.

If you never tried plastic pants and you are skinny I would recommend atleast trying out the 3T plastic pants and that will atleast give you a feel to see if you think u might like wearing them. Oh and yes if it is above 80 in your house and you dont have the air on, you will sweat in them quite a bit.

Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur
In my experience, plastic pants don't really contain leaks. The liquid gets trapped between two waterproof layers (outside of the diaper and the plastic pants) and eventually finds a way to escape.
They're mainly used for cloth diapers, that's the waterproof layer.
Some are noisy, some are not, depends on the plastic.
I wear them because mine have nursery prints on them (or need then when I'm wearing cloth) :D

Status
Not open for further replies.