Plastic backed disposables... availability in the UK in Feb 2013?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paxe

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
What's still out there? It's a couple of years since I had the time to buy and enjoy nappies regularly. I had built up quite a big stock which I have been slowly using up on special occasions, long journeys etc. Now I am looking forward to a little more playtime it's worth getting some supplies but it seems a few more product lines have switched to cloth-style which I don't like at all.

A lot of references and reviews seem to relate to the US ranges which are sometimes different to the UK. Can anyone help confirm which brands available in the UK today are still traditional plastic-backed full-fitting nappies. I wear medium size and always go for maximum absorbency, old favourites include Tena, Molicare, Lille, Abri-form and Attends. 100% waterproof plastic backing rocks!

Thanks in advance
S

downtide

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Tena slips are still plastic backed in the UK. I currently buy these from Incontinence Choice online which is pretty much the best and cheapest place to get quality nappies in the UK.

Eurons, which as far as I know in the UK are only available from Gompels Healthcare (online) - Eurons themselves are great; as good as Tena and half the price, but Gompels customer service sucks and I've had several orders where they've sent the wrong thing and it's taken up to a week to fix it.

Lille Classics, available from Incontinence Choice (their customer service is excellent - I've never had an order go wrong with them). Avoid Lille Supreme like the plague. They're cloth-backed and completely useless.

If you're buying from a store, Boots stay-dry slips are still plastic backed but frankly their absorption sucks and I would only use them if I was desperate and didn't have anything else available.

Cuddlz are plastic backed and popular with the AB/DL community. I tried some samples and found that the absorbency was excellent but the quality of the tapes was poor. I won't buy them again; I'd rather stick to Tena. Or Euron, if anyone else decides to start selling them, because I'm damned if I can put up with Gompels' mistakes any more.

bebehuey

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent
  4. Private
Yeah, If you're in GB, I guess anything Abena is a forgetaboutit. the plastic backed are no longer available

I know they dumped my favorite onsies several years ago, and have found comparable (and slightly better) from Save Express under the Airoliver brand after my old ones wore out. Considering I use these them daily, I don't mind so much importing them at a similar price I used to pay

at least to date, I've been much less than impressed with the 'Cloth Backed' diapers, and, unless Abena wants to change their ways back, I'm not much interested in their future products... I might be in the minority on this, but it is one lost customer

cgh

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
I'd also vote for Tena Slip Maxi. They're easy enough to get hold of, they're relatively cost effective, have pretty good absorbancy and, of course, they are plastic backed.

Paxe

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Thanks for the info so far, I like the sound of buying from Incontinence Choice, let's review their plastic-backed offerings:

Tena Slips have changed in design, I think, since I last bought them a few years ago. Obviously still a must-have, a couple of cases will be on the shopping list.

Lille. What am I going to do without the Supreme Fit Maxi grey? They were low in cost, a good fit (for me anyway) and offered 3000ml absorbency in the medium, so they became one of a favourite for general use. Awesome when doubled. Looking at the pictures of the 'Classic' line I wonder if they are the same products? Unfortunately no maxi option. :(

Molicare Super Plus? By the specs, not particularly absorbent, 1435ml for a medium. But they claim to have a 'Full waterproof backing for maximum security' and the girl in the picture seems to be wearing the same kind of plastic-backed nappy as before. The 'soft' range is clearly cloth-like but maybe the Super Plus is still plastic? Perhaps someone can confirm from recent experience?

Moving on to Gompels:

Euron Form was an old favourite when I was working abroad, I was able to get them off the shelf in the local pharmacy at a great price. Like the Lille, I found them to be good value everyday nappy, they were quite loose fitting around the legs and comfortable to wear although slightly prone to leaks. But look here: euron form changes as it seems they are transitioning to 'CottonFeel' although their website still shows the traditional plastic versions for medium and large (blue and green). On the Gompels website, I see the following slightly suspect feature: "Reusable tapes and a wetness indicator save unnecessary changes by allowing visual inspection of the pad, whilst its cotton back ensures the pad remains comfortable and discrete." even for the medium and large. Hopefully this is just a cut-and-paste error.

Proform has a similar description and appearance but claims to be plastic backed. Is it a version of the Euron under a different name or what?

Thanks
S

ade

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
in an ever changing world, here's mine:
TenderCare (available on Amazon or as in-person pick-up) and IndaSlip ('breatheable' wings, but the pad section is placky. limited availability, though; bmsupplies.co.uk, in Lancs, do mail-order, also on ebay and, possibly, pick-up).

neither are as good as the likes of Tenaslip maxi, but okay for regular use and changing. the Indaslip would be my recommendation; and they still fit well if you go up a size.....plus, they smell lovely.

starman

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Sissy
I ALSO USE INDA SLIP, I BUY THEM OF EBAY they are i think abou 15 pounds for 2x packs then p&p on top.
cuddlz have bought out a new design aparantely with only one tape eigher side, but they are expensive for the amount you get in a pack.or try age uk i cant remember if they are cloth or plastic but they are really thick and cheaper than abena.
i have also tried the new boots staydry slips thy say they are equivlant to attends ,but rge tapes were tubbish, and they leaked.

CharliePup

Mommy's puppy
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
  2. Incontinent
  3. Carer
  4. Other
Yeah, If you're in GB, I guess anything Abena is a forgetaboutit. the plastic backed are no longer available
...at least to date, I've been much less than impressed with the 'Cloth Backed' diapers, and, unless Abena wants to change their ways back, I'm not much interested in their future products... I might be in the minority on this, but it is one lost customer
Just FYI, I ordered some abenas a while ago and they were plastic back: their production date is from the beginning of this January. So it looks like they're still being made for now?
Molicare Super Plus? By the specs, not particularly absorbent, 1435ml for a medium. But they claim to have a 'Full waterproof backing for maximum security' and the girl in the picture seems to be wearing the same kind of plastic-backed nappy as before. The 'soft' range is clearly cloth-like but maybe the Super Plus is still plastic? Perhaps someone can confirm from recent experience?
Molicare Super Plus are indeed still plastic-backed!

Paxe

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Cool! Were they original Abri-Forms? Where did you buy them? I checked the Abena website and they refer to breathable sides etc which doesn't bode well.
Thanks
S

HappyNappin

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
some of the smaller and less well known online stores might still have the old ones, i know incontinence choice took a while to change there product descriptions and might even still have some of the lower absorbencys of the old style left.

Has anyone seen the cloth tena slips? i cant find anything about them, only the ultima and flex are cloth atm

Overnight

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Boots StayDry non-pullup ranges (which are all rebadged Attends products) are all now plastic, I think.

cgh

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
Has anyone seen the cloth tena slips? i cant find anything about them, only the ultima and flex are cloth atm

I don't think the cloth Tena Slip Maxi is being sold in the United Kingdom yet. I suspect they'll switch eventually, but hopefully they'll have worked out some or all of the flaws by then. I really hope this is the case as we don't have Dry24/7s or Bambinos available here, so the Tena Slip Maxi is one of the last premium diapers around.

snugglebum

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I only buy plastic back diapers I had come cushies with cloth backed and i was not impressed I have never tryed the tena slip maxi but i will order some to try .. I know here in Canada we dont get the cuddles and i would love to try them.

skalboi90

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
I know that Tena Slip are plastic as are Tendercare and Vlesliaslip Compact (from TenderCare/Tanner Bros on Amazon). Tendercare are expensive though but you do get a lot for your money. Absorbency wise even the night ones aren't great as it's got a low SAP:paper ratio. The Vlesi Slip Compact is fine although it does have breathable sides but the rest of it is plastic. The tapes can be a bit fickle though on the Vlesli Slip as it's a woven mesh side so they don't always stick properly but otherwise I can recommend all three.

downtide

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Lille. What am I going to do without the Supreme Fit Maxi grey? They were low in cost, a good fit (for me anyway) and offered 3000ml absorbency in the medium, so they became one of a favourite for general use. Awesome when doubled. Looking at the pictures of the 'Classic' line I wonder if they are the same products? Unfortunately no maxi option. :(

Lille Supreme Maxis, the grey ones, are exactly the ones that I've given up on, because they just aren't waterproof enough. Moisture just seeps through the whole back. Unfortunately the Classics only come in Regular and Super so they're quite slim, but even the Super is better than a maxi that leaks before it reaches 20% capacity. If bulk is your priority, the Classics are not for you.

I only have experience of the pads rather than the all-in-ones, because these are what the NHS supplies free for me. I tend to get a mix of the Soft and the ordinary; basically if it doesn't say Soft, it's plastic backed. However the Molicare Softs are still superior to Lille. Capacity isn't as high as some others, and again they're not as bulky.

Moving on to Gompels:

Euron Form was an old favourite when I was working abroad, I was able to get them off the shelf in the local pharmacy at a great price. Like the Lille, I found them to be good value everyday nappy, they were quite loose fitting around the legs and comfortable to wear although slightly prone to leaks. But look here: euron form changes as it seems they are transitioning to 'CottonFeel' although their website still shows the traditional plastic versions for medium and large (blue and green). On the Gompels website, I see the following slightly suspect feature: "Reusable tapes and a wetness indicator save unnecessary changes by allowing visual inspection of the pad, whilst its cotton back ensures the pad remains comfortable and discrete." even for the medium and large.

Ack. *cries* I've just sent Gompels an email to ask.

Can't comment on Proform though. Never used them.

boroughbaby

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I have just tried tena slip super mediums,these look superb on extremely comfortable and very discreet for wearing out and about and hold a lot without slipping problems that cloth ones have,so I will be buying these in future highly recommended

Paxe

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
OK, so that might mean they stalled the changeover process. It would be a bit optimistic to think that a manufacturer would have second thoughts about pulling the plastic version, on account of customer feedback! My work schedule has changed so I can't order anything until the end of next week. What I want to do if possible is get at least one pack of every brand we think is likely still to be plastic, check they are, then buy in quantity. The Euron will definitely be on the list.

I have just checked my stock of the original plastic-backed Lille Supreme Maxi; it's down to two packs. I'll have to stop wearing those too, I never really thought about rationing them because I had so many and they were such good value. So now almost everything in the cupboard here is 'remainder stock' to be kept for special occasions like sharing with a loved one. I have a couple of other vintage styles already, early 90's Depends and Attends (from when they were also both full-spec plastic backed) from when I first started discovering nappies again as a teen. Still, Tenas to look foward to by the end of the month...

S

Status
Not open for further replies.