Planning to get diaper stuff at walmart, nervous/anxious. Need advice

skylanderpamp

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Diaperfur
So, basically I'm debating on getting some Gerber cloth diapers to use as booster pads and maybe some larger pull ups, but I am just anxious even with the thought, and thinking even if I get other stuff, I'll be judged or people will stare.

Anyone had a similar situation, how did you overcome these ANTs (Automatic Negative Thoughts) or how did you do it?

Reactions: DBabygirl2 and KrazyJoe67
I would order it from their website or get it from target since walmart treats their employees (even ppl with disablities) like crap

Reactions: Jorelaxed, PaddedRita and Chosen
You're overthinking this, honestly. I think 99.9% of others have done the exact same thing too, so don't fret over it. Before becoming disabled and physically (medically) NEEDING diapers (lower spinal destruction L2 through L5/S1 + nerve damage, numerous surgeries from discectomies through a morphine pump implant, spinal stimulator implants etc. etc.) I too LIKED to wear/use diapers. I had these desires, OVER POWERING at time since before I was fully potty trained not much past the age of 2! I learned how to "poop on the potty" and knew when I had to go right around 2 years old, but I truly LOVED going to sleep in a "loaded Pamper". It was a cat & mouse game with my Mom for most of a year until I got a handle on wetting well before I was 3. She'd MAKE me sit on the "potty" until I went and when I knew I had to go but wanted to sleep in a messy diaper I'd sit there for as long as she made me, insisting I didn't have to go! I did that quite a bit and remember at least 3-5x quite clearly actually. As soon as I'd hear her footsteps going down the stairs after being put down for bed at night or for a nap (usually waited til night time so I could get the "full effect" I'd wait for as long as possible (she caught me intentionally doing this more than a couple times) until I literally was about to pass out from boredom or simply being tired and then I'd let rip! I know for a fact the last time I did this I got dragged out of bed whenever my Mom & Dad went to bed, changed and spanked because my Mom made me sit on the toilet at least 3-4x throughout that day.
Fast forward to after getting caught for the last time when I was 7-8...I'd line my underwear with a LOT of TP, fill my pants and play in the bathroom. Got caught doing that A LOT, but this time was different as I was forced to wear Pampers for the next 2-3 days AND go outside to play with the neighbors, my brother etc.. The Pampers came nowhere near close to fitting me and were held on with black electrical tape wrapped all the way around my waist and I was made to fully use them. Thankfully I didn't have to "go poop" until after we were back in for the night. I had my balls busted about that by a lot of people until I was at least 10...by the time I was 12 I was lifting, wrestling, playing football (football started when I was 8, wrestling when I was 10, lifting @ 12) and became one hell of a "banger" and no one that knew me made fun of me anymore. I never did get caught again as far as I know.
I used to obsess over buying diapers much like you are now. For years I was always able to satisfy my needs by snagging a Pamper (or 4) from my best friend's house as he had 4 younger siblings and we lived at each other's house. Well, everything eventually comes to an end and I was 13 when I bought my 1st pack of Ultra Pampers Plus.....spent at least a half hour paralyzed by fear inside of a small little store to the degree the cashier and her friend couldn't keep straight faces when I finally got up the guts to grab a pack, take then to the register & pay for them. It really took a LONG time to get past that fear.
Now fast forward to 2004...in Jan 2004 issues I picked up while in the Army (incident began in Aug/90) came to a head and turned into 24/7/365 chronic problems with indescribable 24/7/365 headaches being at the top of the list followed really closely by frequently indescribable back pain to the point by Sept/Oct '04 I couldn't even stand or walk. I had been wetting myself unknowingly & uncontrollably since maybe June and somehow was able to lie about that, at least I thought I was good at hiding it. I was deathly afraid that I was literally dying as I went from a 232 lb ROCK who was benching over 500lbs, squatting just shy (literally) of 1000lbs, working 50-60 hours a week at my business, fishing a minimum of 15 bass tourneys/year on top of having two very young sons, lifting every other night (I'd take off 6 weeks or so each summer), doing everything required around the house, kept the soon to be ex happy to literally not being able to stand or walk without a walker and sometimes incapable of even doing that.
Well, not only being older and not caring so much. I mean, everyone who knew me knew of my issues as they came on so brutally fast so my entire family, at least 2 dozen good friends, every medical professional etc. knew of ALL of my issues. I was buying Molicare from a local medical supply store by this time (after a nightmarish experience relying on depend!) and I got to the point where I didn't even take them to my car (or have them taken to my car/minivan (couldn't get in/out of my truck) without bags.
Today I do my best to conceal what kind of "underwear" I have on though never had any issues with anyone pointing it out, people talking behind my back etc. No one pays any attention so long as you're not flaunting anything AND you act normal as to not give them any reason to wonder why you're acting very nervous, anxious etc. That last line is CRITICAL. Trust me on that!
You will get used to buying these supplies and no, don't even bother making up bullshit back stories as they're a dead giveaway that you're doing something out of the ordinary or trying to hide something. You need to act as if this is nothing and you do it all of the time.
I have more to add but have a slew of Appts today and have to jet shortly.
Let me know if I can be of any assistance to helping you learn to not care so much so you ARE able to relax without even thinking about it.

Reactions: Diprs2 and sinceiwassmall
I use the Gerber cloth diapers as inserts. They make a great booster. But they also make great rags for car washing, dusting etc. People will not think that you are buying them as a diaper because they would be to small. So relax, they will assume that you are buying them for an infant who would fit into them, for a miscellaneous household use, or maybe at worst as a joke.

Reactions: theancientmariner and Diprs2
skylanderpamp said:
So, basically I'm debating on getting some Gerber cloth diapers to use as booster pads and maybe some larger pull ups, but I am just anxious even with the thought, and thinking even if I get other stuff, I'll be judged or people will stare.

Anyone had a similar situation, how did you overcome these ANTs (Automatic Negative Thoughts) or how did you do it?
Realize that nobody at Walmart gives a crap about you, what you're buying, or why. They're wrapped up in their own lives and do not care one iota. If they do notice it, they're going to assume that you have a child. It's the easiest solution, and 99% of the time the easy solution is the right one. They're not going to go through a whole mental thought experiment wondering what you're doing with these items, and envisioning you using them on them yourself. And even if they did, that's their private thoughts that you're not going to know anything about or have access to anyway. Also, self checkout.

Reactions: Diprs2 and chamberpot
skylanderpamp said:
Used to be a ball of nerves, lol. Then you get over it after you realize your the adult and no one should be questioning you. Practice, age and maturity makes it easier or a non issue over time.

Wonder how much of this common self embarrassment is related to upbringing where our parents, teachers, or other adults basically had an interest in everything we did and could easily pry into what's going on. A common part of growing up is developing a sense of need for privacy - what wasn't embarrassing yesterday suddenly becomes mortifying. Transitioning mentally from having prying parental figures to being a self sufficient independent adult doesn't instantly happen.

Reactions: PuffPuffPaci
I forgot to add...I've been an over educated certified to the hilt automotive/lt, med & heavy truck mechanic (as well as a tank mechanic on the M1A1 Abrams main battle tank in the Army) my entire adult life and had been working in a garage every chance I had since I was 13-14. One of my biggest hobbies is buying/restoring/selling, building cars/trucks for others & my own. I learned (self taught) how to do meticulous body work, paint (I literally can lay "glass") as well as wet sanding/buffing fresh paint (after allowing it to off gas for 30-60 days depending on the material used) to turn glass like paint into a mirror.
This is where this comes into being related to buying cloth diapers. They are honestly amongst the BEST kind of cloth to use on paint as they're very soft, don't get clogged easily and are reusable over & over & over again (getting better the older they are) so long as you never allow any foreign material to get on/in them, such as dropping them onto a scuzzy floor that has metal shavings, all sorts of automotive "dirt" etc. as you'll never get all of that out and can easily F-up a perfect finish if there's a minuscule sliver of dirt, metal etc. stuck in the cloth.
SO, if you're worried about someone seeing you buying cloth baby diapers to use as booster pads and someone asks simply say you've seen videos on Youtube where professionals recommend using exactly those items for wiping off buff residue, wax etc. etc.. You can say that with a smile because it is in fact 100% true. I've never used baby cloth diapers from what I can remember (as diapers that is) but have to have 8-10 dozen of those kept sealed in plastic bags in a box along with all of my buffing pads, buffers, dozen+ bottles of different compounds, waxes, ceramic coatings etc.. NOTHING works as well or lasts as long as cloth diapers and like I said, so long as you never allow them to get contaminated, they'll outlast you by decades. I've probably buffed at least 500 vehicles over the years and I have some cloth diapers that I bought in the late 80s that are still being used. Sure, some have holes, are getting worn well but still function perfectly. So long as they're free of contamination, dry & soft, they're the best material to use for this purpose. FAR better than microfiber towels as they're pretty much fubar after 1-2 uses as they start to get harder instead of softer. I almost always try to stay away from microfiber unless I'm doing a quick shine to polish a beat up finish, not getting carried away like I do on nice finishes (spent 38 hours wet sanding/buffing my Monte Carlo after the 1st complete restoration on that in '93-'95) so I won't consider wasting/possibly ruing a reliable cloth diaper on a "beater". Microfiber towels are dirt cheap anyway but again, nowhere near as good as well worn cloth diapers.

Thought exercise, instead of coming up with an "excuse" for every possibly abdl item your going to check out with, consider this... Besides polite conversation (if your lucky enough to get even that!), when's the last time you got interrogated for a purchase of anything at a Walmart by anyone there? They stock stuff that people purchase (stuff that doesn't sell isn't stocked, not good business!) - including a lot of personal items such as toilet paper, tampons, condoms, lube... All of which no one interrogates you on or questions, including diapering supplies. If an inappropriate or malicious comment is made, it reflects poorly on the person making it and you could simply call that out instead of answering it.

Mental gymnastics and coming up with excuses to have at the ready isn't unusual in this community, but can't think of a good reason it's necessary - you may just be playing into your own insecurities possibly making it worse. As an adult, your allowed to do things your way and not explain why to others - your also allowed to keep things private and out of the public eye if you desire - pullups and cloth diapers are commonly purchased and used for their marketed purpose, often for children. Children don't usually buy them for themselves, their (adult) parents do. Your an adult, it's really ok and no one's guessing your any different than the norm unless they too are in the same boat, in which case they're probably not going to say anything either, lol.

Reactions: wetnights
loadedpamperman said:
You're overthinking this, honestly. I think 99.9% of others have done the exact same thing too, so don't fret over it. Before becoming disabled and physically (medically) NEEDING diapers (lower spinal destruction L2 through L5/S1 + nerve damage, numerous surgeries from discectomies through a morphine pump implant, spinal stimulator implants etc. etc.) I too LIKED to wear/use diapers. I had these desires, OVER POWERING at time since before I was fully potty trained not much past the age of 2! I learned how to "poop on the potty" and knew when I had to go right around 2 years old, but I truly LOVED going to sleep in a "loaded Pamper". It was a cat & mouse game with my Mom for most of a year until I got a handle on wetting well before I was 3. She'd MAKE me sit on the "potty" until I went and when I knew I had to go but wanted to sleep in a messy diaper I'd sit there for as long as she made me, insisting I didn't have to go! I did that quite a bit and remember at least 3-5x quite clearly actually. As soon as I'd hear her footsteps going down the stairs after being put down for bed at night or for a nap (usually waited til night time so I could get the "full effect" I'd wait for as long as possible (she caught me intentionally doing this more than a couple times) until I literally was about to pass out from boredom or simply being tired and then I'd let rip! I know for a fact the last time I did this I got dragged out of bed whenever my Mom & Dad went to bed, changed and spanked because my Mom made me sit on the toilet at least 3-4x throughout that day.
Fast forward to after getting caught for the last time when I was 7-8...I'd line my underwear with a LOT of TP, fill my pants and play in the bathroom. Got caught doing that A LOT, but this time was different as I was forced to wear Pampers for the next 2-3 days AND go outside to play with the neighbors, my brother etc.. The Pampers came nowhere near close to fitting me and were held on with black electrical tape wrapped all the way around my waist and I was made to fully use them. Thankfully I didn't have to "go poop" until after we were back in for the night. I had my balls busted about that by a lot of people until I was at least 10...by the time I was 12 I was lifting, wrestling, playing football (football started when I was 8, wrestling when I was 10, lifting @ 12) and became one hell of a "banger" and no one that knew me made fun of me anymore. I never did get caught again as far as I know.
I used to obsess over buying diapers much like you are now. For years I was always able to satisfy my needs by snagging a Pamper (or 4) from my best friend's house as he had 4 younger siblings and we lived at each other's house. Well, everything eventually comes to an end and I was 13 when I bought my 1st pack of Ultra Pampers Plus.....spent at least a half hour paralyzed by fear inside of a small little store to the degree the cashier and her friend couldn't keep straight faces when I finally got up the guts to grab a pack, take then to the register & pay for them. It really took a LONG time to get past that fear.
Now fast forward to 2004...in Jan 2004 issues I picked up while in the Army (incident began in Aug/90) came to a head and turned into 24/7/365 chronic problems with indescribable 24/7/365 headaches being at the top of the list followed really closely by frequently indescribable back pain to the point by Sept/Oct '04 I couldn't even stand or walk. I had been wetting myself unknowingly & uncontrollably since maybe June and somehow was able to lie about that, at least I thought I was good at hiding it. I was deathly afraid that I was literally dying as I went from a 232 lb ROCK who was benching over 500lbs, squatting just shy (literally) of 1000lbs, working 50-60 hours a week at my business, fishing a minimum of 15 bass tourneys/year on top of having two very young sons, lifting every other night (I'd take off 6 weeks or so each summer), doing everything required around the house, kept the soon to be ex happy to literally not being able to stand or walk without a walker and sometimes incapable of even doing that.
Well, not only being older and not caring so much. I mean, everyone who knew me knew of my issues as they came on so brutally fast so my entire family, at least 2 dozen good friends, every medical professional etc. knew of ALL of my issues. I was buying Molicare from a local medical supply store by this time (after a nightmarish experience relying on depend!) and I got to the point where I didn't even take them to my car (or have them taken to my car/minivan (couldn't get in/out of my truck) without bags.
Today I do my best to conceal what kind of "underwear" I have on though never had any issues with anyone pointing it out, people talking behind my back etc. No one pays any attention so long as you're not flaunting anything AND you act normal as to not give them any reason to wonder why you're acting very nervous, anxious etc. That last line is CRITICAL. Trust me on that!
You will get used to buying these supplies and no, don't even bother making up bullshit back stories as they're a dead giveaway that you're doing something out of the ordinary or trying to hide something. You need to act as if this is nothing and you do it all of the time.
I have more to add but have a slew of Appts today and have to jet shortly.
Let me know if I can be of any assistance to helping you learn to not care so much so you ARE able to relax without even thinking about it.
Wow, this was a reply I was not expecting, but yeah, I would like assistance in learning not to care so much as I'm very self conscious about things, always think worse case scenarios, and being on the autism spectrum and a introvert along with low self confidence does not help at all.

skylanderpamp said:
Wow, this was a reply I was not expecting, but yeah, I would like assistance in learning not to care so much as I'm very self conscious about things, always think worse case scenarios, and being on the autism spectrum and a introvert along with low self confidence does not help at all.
It's like other things you have probably worked through and improved or conquered in life... It takes time and often practice before it's more comfortable. It's easy for us to say "stop worrying about it", but you (and most of us to some degree!) actually have to work through it and can't get there without challenging ourselves and practicing.

Like I said, used to have similar worries... It gets better! Most of us have dealt with irrationally thinking that everyone can read our intimate thoughts and is judging - it can be debilitating yet appears to be completely normal in our over judgemental society. It's very liberating when your able to confront those thoughts and "stop worrying (as much!) about it"!

I've bought pull-ups at Walmart before and literally no one gave two shits about what I was holding. So I don't think they would care if you bought a cloth diaper.

Easy peasy. You walk into Walmart, go to the adult diaper aisle, pick what you want, go to the self-checkout and pay for it, walk out of store. Don't even need to interact with anyone. Walmart people, I suspect, would get into trouble if they commented on what you were buying.

Reactions: Magicalgirl101
skylanderpamp said:
Well, feel free to ask. I know I'm not the only one willing to help out as much as is possible on a forum like this.

I recommend using Walmart.com for buying diaper stuff

So, thought I'd give a update. Decided to go and get what I was looking for. Was anxious, and had pit in stomach. Also was stuck jn their baby department for awhile cause they had the cloth diapers at the very bottom of the racks of newborn clothes.

Nobody noticed or if they did said nothing, and did self check out. No issues, but still was anxious as hell. Think next time might do online and pick up, idk.

Reactions: tbjay, DBabygirl2 and PupSpaz
DO Hope you find some that fit you !!
Wal-Mart is not a very good place to to fine adult size diapers ....

Reactions: LittleLeeInDiapers, DBabygirl2 and Cavvet8993
Rita said:
DO Hope you find some that fit you !!
Wal-Mart is not a very good place to to fine adult size diapers ....
I have found that their house-brand overnight pull-ups, which have always have been absorbent enough but have recently had improvements to the padding in front needed by big boys. Only like nine dollars.

I remember being really nervous before finally buying my first pack of adult diapers. A 10 - 12 pack of cvs brand adult diapers with tabs. But honestly most people will not pay attention to what you are buying. Heck no one working at the store will even remember you buying them.

But if you are still nervous, trying going to a store in a different town to get adult diapers. Also go later at night before they close

Reactions: DBabygirl2
skylanderpamp said:

Been there! No worries! No one would care tbh and if you see someone you know and they ask, you can say that they’re donations for charity. Just an FYI XL Goodnites do fit well up to 145. Walmart brant Parents Choice diapers are actually pretty good at holding large quantities of pee but not poop. Target has baby and toddler Gerber cloth prefolds and flats. Wash them and dry at least 3 times before using. You can get 18 to 36 Mo paci’s and those work great. Good luck.

Reactions: skylanderpamp
DBabygirl2 said:
Been there! No worries! No one would care tbh and if you see someone you know and they ask, you can say that they’re donations for charity. Just an FYI XL Goodnites do fit well up to 145. Walmart brant Parents Choice diapers are actually pretty good at holding large quantities of pee but not poop. Target has baby and toddler Gerber cloth prefolds and flats. Wash them and dry at least 3 times before using. You can get 18 to 36 Mo paci’s and those work great. Good luck.
Cvs has briefs with tabs and you get a lot for the price.

Back