Peta?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Role
Diaper Lover
I beleive everyone knows the organization for animal rights, 'Peta.' They go undercover to exploit labrotories, shelter, food that requires animals etc. and show the public that animals are being harmed and killed. Understandable that it is inhumain (sp?)

However, I do not approve of Peta. I know there's a lot of Peta people around the globe and internet, but I feel like I'm defying animal rights if I'm against Peta. From what I know, they are known for having explict advertisements, euthanize many animals for seperate reasons (want a better death, not enough money) and tend to have very vicious tactics to get noticed. Here's the source (Sorry it's from Wikipedia, but I also want clarification on Peta, if needed):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PETA

So curious for those out there, do you approve of Peta BEFORE this thread? How about after you read this thread? How does this make you feel? Do you think others memeber of Peta know their past records?

Once again, I find killing/torturing animals is TRULY inhumain; I am still not approving of Peta.

P.s. Should a warning should be put on this thread? I'm all for it if needed be.

Last edited:
D

daria7483

Most people don't like PETA. It doesn't make you an animal hater to dislike them. I particularly dislike them because I am an animal lover, and they make people like me into a joke. I volunteer at an animal shelter, try not to buy meat that I don't know where it came from and how it was killed, I don't wear fur, etc. But PETA just turns all that into something so extreme that it is mocked by most. For example, years ago they had a campaign where they tried to tell people that beer was healthier to drink than milk. And I think they also have done some extreme things with celebrities who wear fur or leather. It's disappointing because the message behind all their actions is one that I support, but they go about it in too extreme of a way.

Charlie

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Carer, Other
Well before this thread I had heard of them, but didn't much about them.

I think that animals do have certain rights, "The question is not, can they reason? Nor can they talk? But, can they suffer?". (Bentham)
And I think that using explicit advertisements is perfectly fine; even the government uses explicit adverts go important things (Don't drink and drive campaigns, don't speed etc.) so I have no problem with them doing that. (But the adverts have to realistic though, like saying beer is healthier than milk is silly).
But euthanasia on animals... In my opinion they should only rescue the animals they are able to save, what's the point it if they kill the animals? I think they could be doing something more useful than taking suffering animals just to kill them. Either fully save them, or work on other ways to prevent the mistreatment of animals.

And supporting people who raid places and cause damage... well that's just not right. People who help animals are meant to be the good guys, surely things can be done inside of the law. I think that this kind of stuff gives you a bad name, and so will probably result in less support!

So I'd never support PETA, because there are other animal rights groups that I would find more trustworthy. (Not even taking into account PETA is against things that i think are fine, like eating meat and doing scientific experiments on animals*)

*There's a lot I could say about that, but that's for a different topic!

recovery

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
But euthanasia on animals... In my opinion they should only rescue the animals they are able to save, what's the point it if they kill the animals? I think they could be doing something more useful than taking suffering animals just to kill them. Either fully save them, or work on other ways to prevent the mistreatment of animals.
Most of the time the animals are put down is because it is cheaper for them than to pay the vet bills. They just don't get enough from donations etc.. to care for every needy animal.

But they can't just leave the animals to die. If they know an animal is in need and it sounds like they'll have to put it down so they leave it to die by itself. No necessarily the best when to get a good reputation, which in turn would reflect on the amount of donations they get.

But in the end, Its kinda harsh that there is animal cruelty. I do support the fact that they try and prosecute the guilty people responsible by gathering evidence etc...So there is some justice done on the animals behalf.

As for PETA. Yes, I pretty much agree with the above of extreme views and sometimes working outside the law is just not the way to go. Physically attacking researchers known to do animal testing? I think all those protesters should have all drugs, medicine and possible make-up confiscated from them and see if they still have their views after a few years. Unlikely.

Raccoon

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur,

ayanna

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
I'm a proud member of PETA...it means "People Eating Tasty Animals"...right? :D

Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Carer, Other
I'm a proud member of PETA...it means "People Eating Tasty Animals"...right? :D
Amen!
I support animal rights....but these people are crazy, I mean, I eat a ton of meat but I don't hate animals. Can you blame an animal for naturally eating another animal?

If I may bring out my nerdy MMO side for one second:
"Peta needs to lrn2darwinism"

Dawes

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I love animals. I hate PETA.

I will avoid a forty-page-long rant about how much I ****in' hate PETA by just saying that ... I think they suck!

PuddleFopsKit

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Diaperfur, Little, Incontinent
What Rance said! I'll just put it this way: I hate extremists, therefore I hate PETA. Their ideas for helping animals is laughable at best.

g6s

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
peta isn't all about extremes, but it does get in the way of a lot of useful legislation in the states.

shame for using a wikipedia as a source... especially for something like PETA

Spirit

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Other
I think PETA is a bit extreme in some cases.

I have always eaten meat, I don't think I could bear living without it, but I do believe in animal rights.

However, I also believe animals kill other animals, it's nature. Besides, slaughterhouses have improved dramatically, which in turn makes better produce, and means less (if any) suffering to the animals.

I won't go to a circus, tolerate an animal of ANY sort being mistreated (unless it was in self defence), but I also won't give up eating meat. I think humans have the right to eat animals, just like other animals do.

Also, I think that the research into the "dangers" of eating meat is rather bias. There can be too much of a good thing, but there is something called "moderation", this can be very useful towards your health. Even if you eat too many vegetables and organic stuff, the body sometimes won't be able to cope with the minerals and you could quite possibly become sick.

Anyway, end of this controversial rant.

So in summary, I believe in animal rights, but I'm not going to stop eating meat because of it.

PuddleFopsKit

Est. Contributor
Role
Yeah, that, and dosing people in animal blood for not believing in what they do- seems like that happened not to long ago.. or am i thinking of another animal rights group?

Charlie

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Carer, Other
Yeah, that, and dosing people in animal blood for not believing in what they do
Was that when someone threw animal blood (or was it just red paint?) on someone wearing fur, I think it was someone famous on the red carpet?

Because if it was, I'm kinda ok with that. :D :p
I think it is very extreme, and I really should find it wrong, but... I think wearing fur for fashion is terrible. It's not like using animals for food or for research, the only thing that comes from it is a good look. And I think that's really wrong, I like the idea of someone who is so obsessed with looking good (which is a problem in itself) being covered in blood and looking a mess.
It's a bit childish, but I don't see how being covered in blood can be seen as being that bad when you'd happily wear a dead animal. I think sometimes the best way to get a point across is to get a bit visual.

PuddleFopsKit

Est. Contributor
Role
Was that when someone threw animal blood (or was it just red paint?) on someone wearing fur, I think it was someone famous on the red carpet?

Because if it was, I'm kinda ok with that. :D :p
Maybe.. but I feel bad for the animal, not the person.. assuming it wasn't red paint, which knowing the extremes of PETA, I doubt it was.

Charlie F said:
I think it is very extreme, and I really should find it wrong, but... I think wearing fur for fashion is terrible.

Agreed. I cringe everytime I see a fur coat..

kite

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur, Carer
i dislike peta. i have stopped eating red meat albiet the varying special occasion. i still eat chicken, ham, bacon, etc. but i try to do it with other things to spread out my spectrum. i hope the actions of peta have garnered up better production and i guess they have to be, in part, associated with the rise in organic foods and like products (which i love). peta may not have the greatest rap sheet and their extremities tactics abhorred, but i guess they've been the catalyst for a few good things, right?

PuddleFopsKit

Est. Contributor
Role
Yeah, they have contributed to more people buying organic, and that is a good thing.. But it's like I've always said though: "People can't survive on just vegetables and fruit."

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent,
If God didn't want us to eat animals... he wouldn't have made them taste so good.

recovery

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
But it's like I've always said though: "People can't survive on just vegetables and fruit."
It has been known in the past for people to live healthy lives without meat. So it is possible. I know one guy who went to be a vegetarian for a year to prove it wasn't difficult. And it aint.

But from my knowledge, only true vegans have problems. The lack some vitamin or something. Whats wrong with milk and eggs? Unless you think breast feeding is cannibalism :eek!:!

PuddleFopsKit

Est. Contributor
Role
That's my point though- if your a vegatarian for a short perios of time, it doesn't cut it.. It has to be your lifestyle, and I'm sure the lack of certain viatmins, fats, and amino acids would ultimatey hurt you.. You just can't get everything you need from veggies and fruits.. though you can certainly go a long time..

Edit: Just remebered this: I was in IPC(That's Integrated Phyics and Chemistry) in my Sophomore year in High School. Our teacher told about his daughter that was a vegetarian. She had been eating veggies for years, but it finally caught up her. Not only did she have a deficiency in certain vitamins and other stuff(can't remember exactly what now..), but she took in too much of something(vitamin C?) and her skin turned orange! He showed us a picture and everything! That was enough to her to pick up a thick, juicy steak.

No orange skin for me! No sir! *slathers a thick Ribeye in Jack Daniels steak sauce, and wolfs it down*

Status
Not open for further replies.