Status
Not open for further replies.

Hello_Kitty

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Other
Some obviously some chick from Maryland hasn't missed a school day in 13 years not even for vacation, doc/dentist appointments, or from being sick.

I barely went to school 5 days a week especially my senior year. 3-4 days a week was my max for senior year. ^_^

Sorry I just saw this yesterday on Yahoo News and wanted some input.

Linkage:
washingtonpost.com

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
A korean most likely already beat that record. Korean's can do ANYTHING. :p

(And no I don't mean that as a form of racism, it's just that all the ones I seen are HIGHLY motivated. Oh asides for this one leader in north Korea, that one is just a dick.)

dlt88

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Damn..talk about dedication.

I was never that motivated either.... I usually came pretty damn close to using all of my "sick days"...I think we had like 15 days or so per year.

My district was weird though...if you brought a doctors note the absense was erased from your record. So if I really was sick, the note would take care of everything. :D

Props to her though. She will probably put all of us to shame one day.....

Charlie

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Carer
  5. Other
This should be the norm, not in the bloody paper! :p

I don't see why it's all that unusual. School holidays are very generous, and you get the summer off. To my mind, there's no good reason why you should miss school to go on vacation.
I don't know what to say about the doctors, usually you can book for after school. But even if you can't or you have to go to A&E or something, you can get a note and that doesn't count as missing school.

And for being off ill: if you're really *that* ill that you have to miss to school then you should have gone to the doctors at some point, which would mean you'd have a note. :p

As you can probably tell, I didn't miss much school. Not when I was ill (except when I couldn't physically move...), not when my friend died, not for holidays... I don't like missing it and getting behind.

Except in primary school when I was ill. :p You should get away with skiving then.
I still think 100% attendance shouldn't be that strange though.
I have a load of those 100% certificates that you get given. I'm a right swot, but it might help me get a job one day.

itsme

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Other
  3. Private
God, thats pretty amazing. I'm finishing senior year right now, and I haven't been to school on a Friday in probably two months.

Shredder92

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
  4. Other
She is insane
I take at least 3 days off a year (Jewish Holidays) plus all the "sick" days

In year 7 + 8 i broke many bones and was diagnosed with A retina problem, so missed lots of school, which was cool, coz I HATED my school - I get to leave at the end of June after my exams =]

but this girl has dedication beyond belief, I mean, not 1 sick day. So blatently she had "parental Guidence" like many people do The Following may sound racist, but it isn't meant to be It may be likely that she is Asian, as they seem to be less prone to taking days off for school, because their parents are generally stricter, therefore, not as easy to persuade to take a day off school.

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
This means that she went to school when she was sick... and endangered the health of teachers and other students.

I HATE parents who make their kids do that kind of shit... just for some lame-ass award at the end of it all.

Ironicly kids like this are the ones who skip the first week of college classes.

Gil

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
That's disgusting. Who the hell doesn't miss a single day of school? I've missed 15 just this year.

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
This means that she went to school when she was sick... and endangered the health of teachers and other students.

I HATE parents who make their kids do that kind of shit... just for some lame-ass award at the end of it all.

Ironicly kids like this are the ones who skip the first week of college classes.

Some perfect attendance student's in my area of California are getting brand new cars. I hope they did more then perfect attendance though and I hope the state is not paying for these cars. Also I can count how many times I got sick since someone came to school sick, even the teachers did it and everyone always knew who to blame.

Also student's like this just assume everything is going to be perfect. I was one of them, I had a VERY easy time in school in nearly all my subject's asides math and writing (odd on how those are the most important.) however at one point I gave up on doing a senior project, the last requirement for graduation. Even the brightest student at any school can fail the hardest.

Aki

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
*eye twitches slightly*

... Why would you want this goal? How boring!

ShippoFox

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Little
  6. Other
And for being off ill: if you're really *that* ill that you have to miss to school then you should have gone to the doctors at some point, which would mean you'd have a note.

No, I do not agree. People don't just go running to the doctor every time they feel like crap. Well some people do, but it's kinda pointless. Just because you have a bad cold doesn't mean you need to see a doctor. It will go away. And if you go to school, you'll just be spreading it around to others. Attendance awards are kinda stupid. It's like rewarding someone to spread sicknesses. :eek:

I did win a couple here and there though. Unfortunately, there was at least once where I don't even think I got any reward at all. :frown: I think that was when I gave up on trying for perfect attendance.

teddy564339

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Babyfur
I think there have been good points made on both sides of the spectrum here.

On one hand, having "perfect attendance" just for the sake of it completely misses the point. In addition to what Darkfinn said about not taking time off for being sick, you shouldn't strive for perfect attendance just to say you have it. You show up to school or work because there's a purpose to it and because you're committed. If there is a necessary reason to take off, such as really being sick, then you take it. That's the way it is with everything.

On the other hand, like Charlie's saying, there's nothing wrong with showing up consistently and doing what you're supposed to do. I never skipped school because I viewed it as laziness (and I still do). If you want to do it, then fine, that's your decision. But to have any bad judgment of someone who doesn't to me is just pettiness and jealousy. To me, there's still something to be said for working hard even if you don't feel like it.

So this is definitely an extreme case that was taken too far and to me, the focus and reasoning is all wrong. However, in general I don't see anything wrong with doing a good job.

DHLA40

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Props, and all that, but I hope that the parents who read that article won't use her as an example to try and motivate their own children into going to school when they really shouldn't because of sickness, or injury. Lord knows how easily a virus can propagate amongst students, and what hell it is trying to lug a satchel of books around with a broken, dislocated, or sprained...whatever. I remember that specifically from breaking my collarbone, and dislocating my left elbow. (separate occurrences) After the collarbone incident I couldn't tote my book bag, so I unhitched one shoulder strap and just dragged it around from class to class. :lol:

I almost didn't graduate because of how often I skipped 6th period during my senior year. :sweatdrop:

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Shouldn't the school have the power to send a sick student home? I know nursery-schools and preschools here in NC will send a child home if they are feverish or are coughing/sneezing constantly... because it is a danger to the other children.

I do believe that attendance is important, I rarely ever miss a day of work... but I will stay home if I am sick just because I don't want others getting sick.

Arlikra

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
I agree with Charlie on this one, although my own attendance was never that great, but that was mainly due to bullying. There was one girl in my year who went through all five years of high school without having a single day off and she got an award for it at the end, and fully deserved. Just because you go to school everyday doesn't mean you don't have a life. I now regret that I didn't force myself to go everyday.

Dawes

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Oh. She lives in Maryland? Guess I need to find her and punch her in the tits.

"My daughter can't come into school today."
"Why not?"
"Some clown busted through our drywall last night and punched her in the breasts with a combat boot."
"...Did that excuse take you 13 years to make up?"
"Yes. Does she need a doctor's note?..."

Takashi

Always willing to give help to those who seek it.
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Carer
A korean most likely already beat that record. Korean's can do ANYTHING. :p

This is true! I went to school with a Korean kid, cool dude very talented, the only flaw that I saw is that he didn't take pride in his accomplishments.

Status
Not open for further replies.