People will believe anything

Status
Not open for further replies.

starshine

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Awww, Poor man! I hope he gets all his stuff back! Shame on those who took his stuff, despite his protests.

Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Several events very similar to this have happened in the last couple of years and been given a wide ammount of media coverage. Its an awfull way to get revenge =/ I bet that atleast some of the people there had heard about fake postings like this happening before and were just their to haul away everything not nailed down.

From what it looks like to me it's not so much of a case of people willing to believe everything but rather people willing to steal anything =/

Either way it does lower my faith in humanity =/

Charlie

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Carer, Other
Yeah, people make themselves extra stupid if it means getting free stuff.

It's a pretty good way to get revenge on someone though...

How did the people get into his house? Surely he locked the door!

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent,
yet another reason not to piss someone off... and something I'll have to add to my ways to get back at someone...

Chillhouse

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Carer
How did the people get into his house? Surely he locked the door!
The article indicates that people took stuff from his shed and front porch. There's no mention of actualy going in the house (which, I assume, was locked).

andysetra

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Other
That's actually really scary - and the people refused to stop even after learning who he was. "It was in an ad on craigslist, so it must be true!" Mob mentality + free stuff with a little webpage printout so they can try and claim legitimacy :rolleyes:

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent,
Well... in the days of the old west... stealing a horse was a hanging offense...

chevre

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I should probably clarify the part I thought was funny is that people thought that printing the ad gave them legal right to take the stuff.. and even argued with the guy that they had the right to take it. The actual idea of this happening to someone is of course not cool.

D

daria7483

That's awful. Poor guy. He must have an angry ex somewhere or something.

I wonder what crime that the person who posted the ad could be charged with, though. Assuming he/she didn't actually take anything, just invited others to do so, it doesn't seem like they could be charged with larceny. I'm no expert, though.

If anyone sees an update, please post!

cpndl

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
That's awful. Poor guy. He must have an angry ex somewhere or something.

I wonder what crime that the person who posted the ad could be charged with, though. Assuming he/she didn't actually take anything, just invited others to do so, it doesn't seem like they could be charged with larceny. I'm no expert, though.

If anyone sees an update, please post!
Maybe some type of "conspiracy" crime?

cpndl

Deltaomega

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Saw this on digg the other day, pretty bad if people think an ad online is 'proof' that they can take things regardless of what the owner says.

Other things on Digg you'd find interesting are the ones involving the stolen xbox,tv and macbook. Guy comes home to find these items missing, first calls up the local pawn shops asking if someone tried to hawk a macbook with a broken screen and no AC adapter. Gets told a yes, comes down and grabs a copy of the surveillance footage. Does a ton of research on the thief and then when he signs onto a friends xbox or something, gets a message on his account from the kid that bought the xbox from the thief that 'I stole ur xbox'.

Owner then posts ALL of this kids information online and diggs the article, people start calling the house phone # every minute and his parents are pissed because they cannot get any sleep.

Links:
http://digg.com/people/Phone_call_with_XBOX_Morons_Mom
http://digg.com/xbox/WOW_You_re_a_MORON
"The INTERNET is calling!"

Status
Not open for further replies.