Pelvic floor physio?

BabyAby123

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Incontinent
Hi everyone,

I have mixed urge urinary incontinence. My doctor recommended that I get physio therapy for my pelvic floor. With such an embarrassing and intimate problem, I do not want to do the consultation, especially since I really haven’t had any medical tests or anything done down there before (25 F).
Thankfully, my current physiotherapist (for an injury) also does pelvic floor PT.

What am I supposed to expect at the appointments? How do I get over the awkwardness of it to even attend the appointment? I just don’t know about any of it!
Any experience people want to share would be great!

Reactions: newt, Edgewater and Diprs2
So I think you don't have to worry about that. My PT first looked at the findings, and ask me about my problem and when it exactly occurs. Then she showed me a series of exercises.

I didn't find it much different than when you have a personal trainer at the gym. Interestingly, I already knew some of the exercises from back gymnastics - but the PT modified them so that, for example, the pelvic floor or auxiliary muscles had to be tightened as well. I found some of the exercises pretty complex and had some difficulties to coordinate my muscles but after some tries it worked well.

All in all, I found it very helpful and I think for my stool incontinence it has brought something. In the end, it is important to find a way to incorporate the exercises into everyday life and to keep doing them. It's like any other muscle training - if you stop for a few weeks it usually gets worse and you start all over again.

Reactions: BabyAby123, Edgewater, newt and 2 others
My talks to physios were always more helpful that talks to doctors, they take time and know stuff.

In my case all physiotherapists for pelvic floor problems and incontinence as well as all nurse that came home to me were women, on the one hand this is a little strange in the beginning, but they are most understanding and very professional in my case.

Reactions: BabyAby123, Edgewater, newt and 4 others
I’ve seen a PFP before. First appointment involved her taking a history of my condition, asking about pad usage, bladder ultrasound pre and post void. I got sent home with a bladder diary to record all drinks, toileting and accidents over three days.

Subsequent appointments involved getting taught how to do the exercises, more bladder diaries to check progress and a pelvic floor muscle release (for hyperactive pelvic floor) done via a finger inserted in my rectum every couple of visits. I also purchased a Tens machine off her to do tibial nerve stimulation stuff.

Pelvic floor physios are, in my opinion, way more knowledgeable than most other health professionals about incontinence.

Last edited:
Reactions: BabyAby123, mickdl, cloakplt and 3 others
PT will help in providing ways you can either strengthen or relax the pelvic floor. A lot of talking and stretching. There is biofeedback but, it is your choice.

Reactions: BabyAby123, Diprs2 and Edgewater
Pino said:
My talks to physios were always more helpful that talks to doctors, they take time and know stuff.

In my case all physiotherapists for pelvic floor problems and incontinence as well as all nurse that came home to me were women, on the one hand this is a little strange in the beginning, but they are most understanding and very professional in my case.
Completely agree with this. In one session my PT answered more questions and showed more empathy and compassion than every urologist did over 4 years. I never felt rushed talking with her unlike the urologists who could not wait to get me out of the office as soon as they answered a few questions and shoved a prescription in my face.

Reactions: BabyAby123, Diprs2, mickdl and 2 others
Be very open and honest! You will learn much and become far more comfortable with you IC, which in and of it will be helpful!
Your acceptance of your Incontinences is a major part of all of this.
The Great Part of ADISC is there is a whole community here of individuals that are IC!

Reactions: BabyAby123, Diprs2, mickdl and 1 other person
UrgentWees said:
I’ve seen a PFP before. First appointment involved her taking a history of my condition, asking about pad usage, bladder ultrasound pre and post void. I got sent home with a bladder diary to record all drinks, toileting and accidents over three days.

Subsequent appointments involved getting taught how to do the exercises, more bladder diaries to check progress and a pelvic floor muscle release (for hyperactive pelvic floor) done via a finger inserted in my rectum every couple of visits. I also purchased a Tens machine off her to do tibial nerve stimulation stuff.

Pelvic floor physios are, in my opinion, way more knowledgeable than most other health professionals about incontinence.
When I did my PFT, it did bring awareness to certain habits I had that were making my bed wetting worse, so it did help with awareness. They were kind and very knowledgeable. It did end up helping, I wasn’t embarrassed at all due to the therapist’s professional nature and demeanor.

Reactions: BabyAby123, Edgewater, Diprs2 and 1 other person
Back