Not open for further replies.

KimbaFoxNatsume

Pokemon Trainer in, err, Training... Pants
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
Believe it or not, as a kid I didn't care for peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. As I got older, I would bake with peanut butter and might eat a spoonful of it or put it on bread, but adding jelly just wasn't something I really liked.

Last year though, my dad, after hearing one of his friends talk about doing it, started eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches as an evening snack. I too started eating peanut butter sandwiches, usually without the jelly. But then I started adding it, and nowadays I'm basically hooked. Although I tend to use jam or preserves.

So... discuss this sandwich I've recently started to love so much I'll eat it like five times a week. :p

KimbaStarshine said:
Believe it or not, as a kid I didn't care for peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. As I got older, I would bake with peanut butter and might eat a spoonful of it or put it on bread, but adding jelly just wasn't something I really liked.

Last year though, my dad, after hearing one of his friends talk about doing it, started eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches as an evening snack. I too started eating peanut butter sandwiches, usually without the jelly. But then I started adding it, and nowadays I'm basically hooked. Although I tend to use jam or preserves.

So... discuss this sandwich I've recently started to love so much I'll eat it like five times a week. :p

This is exactly the same experience I had with PB&J. Didn't like it all that much as a kid. If I had to have it, I rather not have the jelly. It was similar to jelly donuts now that I think about it. Never liked those all that much. If there was donuts I would be excited, but as soon as I found out they where Jelly .. I would pout. Eventually I started liking peanut butter more as I got older but still didn't really get into Jelly.
Now ... Jelly is a must unless I put Nutella on it instead. I also now love Jelly donuts, but nothing beats boston cream donuts.

BTW as I was writing this I was thinking of using doughnuts instead of donuts. But I suppose it don't matter much.

I've always like PB&J. Like you, nowadays I use strawberry jam or preserves rather than jelly. Also, a spoon full of peanut butter and some marshmallow cream is heavenly!

- - - Updated - - -

Marka said:
Now, if you really want to go far left on a PB sandwich variation...
Peanut-butter with dill-pickle (thin slices) with mayonnaise - yeah!
-Marka

Sounds like a pregnancy craving! :laugh:

I'm pretty much the opposite of everyone else here. I used to eat it every single day as a kid, and I eventually just got burned out on it. I still enjoy the taste and all, but it's not something I eat all that often anymore.

As soon as I could really express a preference, I went to straight peanut butter and that's still what I like. It's possible that PB&J might take me back somewhat, since it's one of the few solid foods I ate when very young that I don't eat now. So far, I haven't had sufficient reason to ruin a perfectly good peanut butter sandwich.

Trevor said:
As soon as I could really express a preference, I went to straight peanut butter and that's still what I like. It's possible that PB&J might take me back somewhat, since it's one of the few solid foods I ate when very young that I don't eat now. So far, I haven't had sufficient reason to ruin a perfectly good peanut butter sandwich.

:iagree:

KimbaStarshine said:

Trevor said:

Gsmax said:
I'm pretty much the opposite of everyone else here. I used to eat it every single day as a kid, and I eventually just got burned out on it. I still enjoy the taste and all, but it's not something I eat all that often anymore.
:wts6Ar: although if i had a choise i would prefer Peanut Butter and honey, or Nuttela spread Yum, Still I liked it when i was younger but don't really care for it now, Also some people in the ozarks put peanut butter and manayase tougher, and put peanut butter on there pancakes. Yuck.
parcelboy2 said:

brabbit1987 said:
That was my first thought when I saw the title too. I used to watch that show a lot in my teens. XD
I remember that show, I used to watch it when i was younger.

Peanut butter smooth not crunchy, Jam invisible and tasteless.

I can still remember the first time that I heard that peanut butter and jelly sandwiches were popular in America! Me and my (English) friends just looked at each other in baffled horror! Peanut butter sandwiches are weird enough, but peanut butter with jam?! Together?! Who even thought of it?! Bleurgh!

zipperless said:
I've always like PB&J. Like you, nowadays I use strawberry jam or preserves rather than jelly.

Ohhh... I was always told that "jelly" was the American word for "jam"... which is a preserve...? So, what's the difference between the three on your side of the pond?

zipperless said:
Also, a spoon full of peanut butter and some marshmallow cream is heavenly!

Marshmallow cream?! What on earth is that?! Have you guys got some kind of secret larder that you're not sharing with the rest of the world? :p

I'm not really into nuts or... whatever peanuts are (legumes?)... but I quite like the taste of almond butter. How does that go with your jelly sandwiches?

zipperless said:
I've always like PB&J. Like you, nowadays I use strawberry jam or preserves rather than jelly. Also, a spoon full of peanut butter and some marshmallow cream is heavenly!

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like a pregnancy craving! :laugh:

Oh yeah, I've had peanut butter and marshmallow cream before. Haven't in a while though.

tiny said:
I can still remember the first time that I heard that peanut butter and jelly sandwiches were popular in America! Me and my (English) friends just looked at each other in baffled horror! Peanut butter sandwiches are weird enough, but peanut butter with jam?! Together?! Who even thought of it?! Bleurgh!

Ohhh... I was always told that "jelly" was the American word for "jam"... which is a preserve...? So, what's the difference between the three on your side of the pond?

Marshmallow cream?! What on earth is that?! Have you guys got some kind of secret larder that you're not sharing with the rest of the world? :p

I'm not really into nuts or... whatever peanuts are (legumes?)... but I quite like the taste of almond butter. How does that go with your jelly sandwiches?

Jelly has a consistency that's like gelatin, which apparently people outside of North America refer to as jelly. It's made with the fruit's juices without the flesh of the fruit. I'm assuming our jam is the same as yours, typically made with both the juice and the flesh. The definition of ''preserves'' is a bit less clear, but it seems that in North America it's a marketing term for jams with high-fruit content. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fruit_preserves#Jelly

I'm just going to stick with my PB&PB sandwiches, thank you. :D

zipperless said:
Marshmallow Cream

Jam, jelly and preserves are all different. It's just the way they are made.

Try this!

Oh Em Gee! Apparently you can get that stuff in UK supermarkets! It looks like it's mostly sugar syrup... Mixing that with peanut butter sounds like a heart attack on bread!

Maybe I'm getting old. I remember visiting LA on a family holiday when I was about 14. Hungry and jet-lagged we went to a diner for breakfast and my dad spent ten minutes recoiling in disbelief and horror at the very idea that anyone could possibly eat chocolate-chip pancakes and cream for breakfast! I happily proved him wrong! I never tried grits, though. I still wonder what I would have made of it.

KimbaStarshine said:
Jelly has a consistency that's like gelatin, which apparently people outside of North America refer to as jelly. It's made with the fruit's juices without the flesh of the fruit. I'm assuming our jam is the same as yours, typically made with both the juice and the flesh. The definition of ''preserves'' is a bit less clear, but it seems that in North America it's a marketing term for jams with high-fruit content. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fruit_preserves#Jelly

Over here, jelly is stiff and wobbly, like this:

Jelly.jpg6553cea5-2aa4-4060-bcc1-c166b929d0feLarger.jpg

tiny said:
Oh Em Gee! Apparently you can get that stuff in UK supermarkets! It looks like it's mostly sugar syrup... Mixing that with peanut butter sounds like a heart attack on bread!

Maybe I'm getting old. I remember visiting LA on a family holiday when I was about 14. Hungry and jet-lagged we went to a diner for breakfast and my dad spent ten minutes recoiling in disbelief and horror at the very idea that anyone could possibly eat chocolate-chip pancakes and cream for breakfast! I happily proved him wrong! I never tried grits, though. I still wonder what I would have made of it.

Over here, jelly is stiff and wobbly, like this:

View attachment 25426

Yep, that looks like what in the U.S. is called gelatin, or much more commonly, Jell-o, after one certain brand of it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jell-O

tiny said:

Maybe I'm getting old. I remember visiting LA on a family holiday when I was about 14. Hungry and jet-lagged we went to a diner for breakfast and my dad spent ten minutes recoiling in disbelief and horror at the very idea that anyone could possibly eat chocolate-chip pancakes and cream for breakfast! I happily proved him wrong! I never tried grits, though. I still wonder what I would have made of it.[snipped]

Marshmallow creme has some uses but I sure wouldn't say mixing it with peanut butter sandwiches as one of them.

I'm a native and only tried grits fairly recently. Easy to miss out when you live in the Pacific Northwest. They're okay. I understand your father's gut reaction to breakfast pancakes. I only want them a couple times a year and prefer them without many embellishments. Savories are better for breakfast in my opinion but sometimes something with maple syrup appeals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back