Paying too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honeywell6180

Contributor
Role
Private
You won't believe the price when you look at item number 320312163873 on EBay. As of this writing, the bid for two vintage boxes of Luvs toddler sized diapers is over $535.00. Just so everybody here knows, the older vintage Luvs that came in boxes are of VERY little difference in thickness and materials to the Abena X-Plus that's currently on the market. I know this, because I have bought similar diapers in the past, for comparison to the adult diapers available at the time.

Here's my personal opinion, and some may disagree. An old box, or bag of thick diapers is not worth paying hundreds of dollars for. And even if they are the toddler size, they are very uncomfortable for use as a pad and it would be impossible for any adult or teenager to stretch them enough to fit. And, the plastic is really no softer than that of a 3-tape retail Attends. Actually, Abenas are better, almost as thick, and with less padding shift! I want to also make it VERY clear, that diapers are NOT collector's items, according to what a couple antique dealers have told me. It amazes me that there are some folks who are so desperate for these, that they would part with two weeks worth of pay or more just to have them.

I also saw on EBay some old boxes of Curity diapers, in the muslin gauze weave sell for sums of over $250.00, each. I used to wear them for a skin condition before twill-weave diapers in the adult size were available. They were paper thin, but would still fit up to a 34" waist if you put at least 6 of them together, with a rather large bulge in the front. When they finally wore out, I bought some diapers from a service and later found some them adult size online, of the EXACT same weave and texture that they use on NEWBORNS. And these are way softer and more comfortable. You can't go wrong with what the professional diaper services use for cloth!

What people do, is up to them. I hope others here can agree, that there are better alternatives that are priced more reasonably.

Honeywell6180

Dakota13

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I agree, that 500 is just to much to pay for a diapers, even if they are the best in the world its still not worth it imho.

Role
Private
So they are similar to the Abena diapers, cost 20x as much, are really really old (well past shelf-life), and are small and probably don't fit properly?

I mean, I've never been one for baby diapers, so I'm probably missing something here... but even to me that really does not seem like it's worth it.

TheFoxxehAssassin

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Diaperfur
That's ridiculous. Those diapers aren't even size six. They're 3's. Even if they were six, $40 should pretty much be max for vintage diapers

Ace

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
$500 for a box of any disposables is just an obscene price. I have to wonder if the seller isn't somehow working with another user to artificially up the price simply to see if there actually is someone who would pay that price. Especially since they are way past there prime and of the very small variety.

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
some people collect diapers and are not AB's DL's I assume these could be people that never fully got to the level we have. Or they just collect diapers for the sake of it.

Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Carer
That's insanity. The only vintage diapers worth acquiring on ebay are the old 6 blue tape attends with the baby-powder scent they had before paperpak bought+demolished them as a product.

Honeywell6180

Contributor
Role
Private
$500 for a box of any disposables is just an obscene price. I have to wonder if the seller isn't somehow working with another user to artificially up the price simply to see if there actually is someone who would pay that price. Especially since they are way past there prime and of the very small variety.
Oh believe me, Ace, there are folks who are gullible enough. In fact, I saw a box of 12 toddler Pampers (from around 1978 or so) sell for $600.00. ONE box of 12 diapers! I guess this auction's a "buy one, get one free" sort of deal, but maybe not if someone else decides they'll pay double. I can't help but feel sorry for the poor "winner". Less than two bags of 1/4 scale Abenas (if that), in a cute box?

Honeywell6180

spacemanBEN

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Carer
That makes the $3 a diaper price of Bambinos seem, well, cheap and those actually fit adults. I can't imagine spending that much on diapers, especially when I know they won't fit me. I guess whoever is bidding that much has a lot of money to throw around.

rtt

Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I always think it's funny when people argue about how much people are willing to pay for any item.. whether it be diapers or a diamond ring. Different things are worth different denominations of money to various people.

The person willing to spend $500 on diapers (possibly a collector) may gain a lot more enjoyment from ownership of a rare product they can appreciate, rather than say another thing of similar value.. such as a playstation 3 for someone who likes video games. To each in his (or her) own I say!

Boyhood

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
This is so rediculious. I'm sure Fire2Box is right when he says that whoever is paying this much, is to add it to their collection of vintage items, and sell them again in like 20+ years or something and make money in the long run. This is still a crazy thing to do though, because what if in 20 years, people don't have a higher demand for this year's diapers? I'm sure the demand will go up a little as each year goes on, but holy hell...

Honeywell6180

Contributor
Role
Private
The trouble with buying these as an investment, at ANY price, is that should they disappear off the face of the earth, nobody will care or even remember. And who would want to? This is something that the owner will have to keep hidden in his/her stash, never mentioning to anybody the price they paid for it. Sure, it might sell in 20 years. But who would want the same kind of diapers that were worn by their grandmother?

Honeywell6180

Ace

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I guess the collector's aspect makes some actual sense, I had been thinking that someone would pay that amount to just use them. But I agree, he probably won't be able to really "show off" his collection of vintage diapers let alone tell anyone what he paid for them with out some serious ridicule. I know people spend lots of money for things like classic cars and sports memorabilia, but whatever.

Not to stray off topic, but next time I'm home visiting the parents I think I'm going to head up to the attic to see if perhaps there's a 20+ year old pack of diapers that never got used, considering that they actually might be worth something now.

Entity

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Private
If you think that's paying too much for too little, switch to Geico.

...Oh and yes, .5 grand is a bit much for some diapers. Unless money is no object.

Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Diaperfur
I would never pay that much for dated diapers. But hey, I guess there's people out there that would.

So whoever has a really old box of diapers in their storage closet, basement, or attic, sell them on ebay. I bet you could make a nice chunk of change.

Sam I am

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Its funny I was looking at that ebay item and thinking that is way too much. I myself personally have purchased several of the "vintage" pampers and luvs. Why? Thats what gets my rocks off I guess. I would NEVER pay that much however. Also if anyone has old diapers they don't want I'm willing to buy :) depending on the size of course.

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
The trouble with buying these as an investment, at ANY price, is that should they disappear off the face of the earth, nobody will care or even remember. And who would want to? This is something that the owner will have to keep hidden in his/her stash, never mentioning to anybody the price they paid for it. Sure, it might sell in 20 years. But who would want the same kind of diapers that were worn by their grandmother?

Honeywell6180
Why would they have to hide it, they collect vintage diapers they don't wear diapers. As for selling people how much they paid for them that's their choice people can spend their money anyway they want. To you and other they may be wasting their money but to others your wasting money on diapers just so you can go to the bathroom in your pants. The point is people get enjoyment out of many things and some people might not be able to understand why.

thickdiapers

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent
One thing to keep in mind about diapers is that they use a lot of adhesives, glues, etc. These things get old and crack or become brittle. I was all excited when I found a box of old pampers in a store. I quickly bought them, opened up the pack and opened a diaper. Immediately, the elastics came off because the glue holding them on was dried out. :sad: I am starting to notice this with blue tape attends as well. Some of my stash is starting to get brittle and the plastic is yellowing with age. Guess I had better use them up :)

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent,
There are apparently some very rich AB/DLs out there... "vintage" adult and baby diapers go for top dollar.

Honeywell6180

Contributor
Role
Private
but to others your wasting money on diapers just so you can go to the bathroom in your pants
How can they be a waste of money, when they are a medical necessity? I wish I didn't have my disability. Because then, I could put my money towards stuff that are a little more meaningful, like payments on a nice bass boat or something like that. I would also have a JOB, so I wouldn't have to fight over how many food stamps I get each month.

In regards to the rest of this thread. My intention was to inform others about what they are actually getting when they buy these: Somthing that's not much different from a package of Attends. Maybe a little thicker but still a lot smaller.

Honeywell6180

Status
Not open for further replies.