Panicking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobbysgirl67

Contributor
Role
  1. Other
So I'm about to take a vacation with my three grandkids.
For the past three months or so I have been reunited with my pacifier. I have always had strong sucking desires, and using a pacifier and baby bottle have occasionally been my go to when stressed. I purchased one in November and haven't looked back. I use it constantly when alone. All night, driving, and whenever I am home alone. Recently I have begun to panic a little when I cant find it immediately
Problem is I'll be sharing the hotel room with them. I know using my pacifier is not going to be appropriate and my now ritual nighttime bottle is out of the question. I can deal with the fact that I'll need to eat adult food at all my meals. I'm OK with that. But being without my pacifier scares me.
I have to do this because I am taking a 10 day cruise with them and their parents in April.
How can I destress this situation.

• Love
Reactions: ARBBB2
DanielW said:
If you have a private room/sleeping arrangements, its not hard to be discrete about it. If you are room-sharing, that's more difficult. For me, its at least better than nothing to keep mine in my PJ pocket if I am sharing a room. Sometimes I can sneak in a few minutes, other times it helps just knowing its there.

• Love
This weekend it's one room my grand and I will have 1 bed, the boys the other and son the cot.
The cruise I will be sharing a room with the three kids. My daughter and her boyfriend in the adjoining. Thinking I might just wear my sweatshirt and sneak it in the little thumb hole?? There is always bathtime.

• Love
Bobbysgirl67 said:
This weekend it's one room my grand and I will have 1 bed, the boys the other and son the cot.
The cruise I will be sharing a room with the three kids. My daughter and her boyfriend in the adjoining. Thinking I might just wear my sweatshirt and sneak it in the little thumb hole?? There is always bathtime.
I know how you feel @Bobbysgirl67. I recently allowed myself to have a binky and now I have 5 of them. I don’t sleep without one now and my bunny for comfort and de-stress. If I’m feeling stressed in an adult situation I now tend to keep a baby binky in the pocket of my adult clothes. Is this possible for you? Sometimes just having it to hold discretely helps. Good luck.

• Love
Reactions: ARBBB2 and MillyBelle7
NooNoo said:
I know how you feel @Bobbysgirl67. I recently allowed myself to have a binky and now I have 5 of them. I don’t sleep without one now and my bunny for comfort and de-stress. If I’m feeling stressed in an adult situation I now tend to keep a baby binky in the pocket of my adult clothes. Is this possible for you? Sometimes just having it to hold discretely helps. Good luck.
Yup, that's ME. I have one in the car, my backpack, my jacket, 3 in bedroom. Plus my Tommie Tippie baby bottle! I think i fell into the same rabbit hole. i have had bouts of pacifier use over the years but never this intense or for as long. It seems relaxing, calming, has improved my sleep cycle and I have lost 15 pounds. But on the down side is the panic when i cant see it feel it touch it suck it.
So NOT something I really want to share with my friends and family (one friend knows but thinks I am doing it for migraine therapy. It has helped that you but I just want to suck.)

• Love
Reactions: ARBBB2 and NooNoo
Bobbysgirl67 said:
Yup, that's ME. I have one in the car, my backpack, my jacket, 3 in bedroom. Plus my Tommie Tippie baby bottle! I think i fell into the same rabbit hole. i have had bouts of pacifier use over the years but never this intense or for as long. It seems relaxing, calming, has improved my sleep cycle and I have lost 15 pounds. But on the down side is the panic when i cant see it feel it touch it suck it.
So NOT something I really want to share with my friends and family (one friend knows but thinks I am doing it for migraine therapy. It has helped that you but I just want to suck.)
Yup that’s the same for me. I wish it was more acceptable. I wish you all the best in this. Let me know how you get on.

• Love
NooNoo said:
Yup that’s the same for me. I wish it was more acceptable. I wish you all the best in this. Let me know how you get on.
I really do too. Right now the kids are off of school. I am k sitting in my room and guess what is with me. I feel so deceitful.

• Love
NooNoo said:
Wouldn't that be an ideal world. On the upside I now have a much calmer and supportive demeanor when parents are attempting to wean their children. I have always been a supporter of baby led weaning. Now I know WHY.

• Love
I guess if it were me, I would give it up for my G-kids and my daughter, I love them more, and it's not forever. Not that there's anything wrong with it, be proud of who you are, but I wouldn't want to hurt those kids in any way if they saw me being little. Depending on there age, they may not understand

• Love
Katie2fingers said:
I guess if it were me, I would give it up for my G-kids and my daughter, I love them more, and it's not forever. Not that there's anything wrong with it, be proud of who you are, but I wouldn't want to hurt those kids in any way if they saw me being little. Depending on there age, they may not understand
Agreed. I do a LOT with my granddaughter. she lives with me so I have a great excuse to run amok in the playground build castles on the beach and do all sorts of silly stuff. I am truly blessed. But there are family times and personal times. I try not to cross the lines.

• Love
Bobbysgirl67 said:
I really do too. Right now the kids are off of school. I am k sitting in my room and guess what is with me. I feel so deceitful.
No not deceitful at all.
There have been times when it was just the 2 of us and she wanted company watching a movie. She was on the recliner. I was on the couch. I hid "gloria" in the thumb hole of my running shirt she never knew. 😘🍼

• Love
Well, the weekend is almost over. Sent then off to the pool while I clean up the room, pack, and load the car As a reward for not falling apart I took a few minutes, lit the fireplace, and an sitting here with Gloria just enjoying a stress free moment
Thanks for all your honesty, support, and love.

• Love
Reactions: NooNoo
You could try covering your head with the blanket and thumb sucking instead maybe? That way when you fall asleep, your thumb will probably fall out of your mouth and that is fine, as opposed to having an obvious pacifier laying next to you for everyone to see.

Edit: oops, too late. Sorry.

Last edited:
Janvier said:
You could try covering your head with the blanket and thumb sucking instead maybe? That way when you fall asleep, your thumb will probably fall out of your mouth and that is fine, as opposed to having an obvious pacifier laying next to you for everyone to see.

Edit: oops, too late. Sorry.
Never too late. At home I sleep with the blankets up covering paci
Unfortunately thumb sucking is out of the question. I need to be really careful about germs. I have leukemia. Pacifiers get brushed 2x a day and dipped in antimicrobial mouth wash. Minty clean🤩

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back