Pampers 8 vs 7 vs 6. Images included.

fakename

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Thought I'd share an imgur album comparing Canadian Baby Dry 6 and Cruiser 7 against UK Baby Dry 8.
A few weeks ago I "splurged" on a 52-pack of UK Pampers Baby Dry size 8 (via Ebay). With conversion from the pound plus shipping to western Canada, the total cost was about $39 CDN, so $.75 per diaper. I buy Cruisers 7s locally for around $22 for a box of 44, so those are roughly $.50 each. I've been using the size 8s for a few weeks so thought I'd write my impressions for those of us not in the UK and thinking about the size 8s.

See Imgur album here.

My trusty measuring tape found that the size 8 is at most one inch longer than the 7 and 6 (23" vs 22") and at most half an inch wider. They all have the same useless back area. They have the same fastener fabric as the 6, so not the stretchy material of the 7s. Design-wise, they're very similar and what differences there are are minor: the 8s have a different motif (cuter IMO than the 6 and 7s) and an inch in length but that's about it. The scent on the 8s is a milder version of the 6s we get in Canada but similar.
My unscientific opinion is that the 8s may be more absorbent than the Baby Dry 6. They also feel like they fit slightly bigger, despite measurements proving that they shouldn't. They are very comfortable though and I prefer the design of the 3 types here. I also have yet to experience a leak in one, while the 6 and 7s will spring a leak eventually. These "seem" thirstier.
Were I in the UK this is all I'd probably use, but I'm not sure I'll buy another case when this runs out given the price; they're similar enough to 6 and 7s that it makes little difference. If anyone who lives in south Vancouver Island would like a sample, I can share some with you.

And yes, I have worn all three at once :)

PaciL0ver

Contributor
Role
Private
Depending on the origin of production, size differences are caused by differences in manufacturing technologies. The same diaper produced in one country may differ in dimensions compared to the same diaper in another country.

There may be a difference between the German version of Pampers size 8 and the English version. Can you compare that?

fakename

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Depending on the origin of production, size differences are caused by differences in manufacturing technologies. The same diaper produced in one country may differ in dimensions compared to the same diaper in another country.

There may be a difference between the German version of Pampers size 8 and the English version. Can you compare that?
I wish... also, I was unaware Germany had that sizing. Maybe a fellow German forum member could scout that for us.

HappyNappin

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Little

I might look into this at some point this year before trade sanctions kick in, from my experience with other pampers products the production lines in England, Germany and Poland are completely standardised with almost no discernable difference between the production other that a code on the side of the pack.
Packs from all 3 factories do appear in supermarkets here from time to time and parents probably don't even notice.

PaciL0ver

Contributor
Role
Private
a.PNG
Here are the dimensions of the German Pampers, unfortunately the 2019 version. Dimensions may have changed in the meantime.

PaddedBrony

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Diaperfur
The thing is, though there are “larger” sizes in the range, often the reality is they’re just adding new sizes in between existing ones to better suit their customers. Obviously human bodies are not all one uniform shape. You could take two children who are the exact same age, at the exact same point in their development, yet one could need a size 4 diaper and the other could need a size 7. Really, sizes 4-6 and up are all made similarly in composition, it’s just a matter of sizing them differently for differently-sized children.

kratox

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Private
The thing is, though there are “larger” sizes in the range, often the reality is they’re just adding new sizes in between existing ones to better suit their customers. Obviously human bodies are not all one uniform shape. You could take two children who are the exact same age, at the exact same point in their development, yet one could need a size 4 diaper and the other could need a size 7. Really, sizes 4-6 and up are all made similarly in composition, it’s just a matter of sizing them differently for differently-sized children.
I made a chart showcasing this basically. It also showed realistically we don't even need as many sizes as we have. Like 3 of the diaper sizes should just be variants of one of the sizes.

There is a lot of overlap.

PaddedBrony

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Diaperfur
I made a chart showcasing this basically. It also showed realistically we don't even need as many sizes as we have. Like 3 of the diaper sizes should just be variants of one of the sizes.

There is a lot of overlap.

Realistically, if they wanted to increase their size range, they should go larger and start catering to the parents whose kids have special needs and whatnot. That’s a highly underserved segment.