paid ad-space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raccoon

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
I note with glee all the newsletter enthusiasts coming out of the woodwork to volunteer on it, and Moo's stated intention to reinstate it, better, stronger, faster than it was... YouTube - The Six Million Dollar Man TV Intro

I also note some people are unsure about the appropriateness of certain small enterprises advertising their wares on ADISC. On one hand we are a donation-driven site, and Moo prefers to avoid moving to an ad-based monetization.

On the other hand, most members are poor and struggling; and when their product or service fills members' needs , be it nuk-availability, cool shirts, cheap mail-order diapers, high-quality cloth diapers, even custom furniture, this is a win-win situation.

So why not sell ad space on the newsletter to the above people? [edit AND BAN IT ON THE SITE PROPER] Yay, we keep the donation model, and serve the small business operators' needs. The ads need not be expensive. This could also work as an in-house classified ads.

The ads themselves would be a marketing feature for the newsletter and increase readership: particularly if certain vendors ran giveaway competitions...

Last edited:
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
I'm not sure how I feel about selling ads on a newsletter put together by volunteers. And for that matter, I don't think I like the idea of selling ads on the main site. I mean, where does it end? I suppose my real fear is that vendors will start participating in the discussions (such as they are... but thats another rant from earlier today). I've seen it happen, and managed improperly, it can turn into a mess. Plus, when something starts making money, it causes all sorts of legal headaches. Even with the current donation driven model I don't know what kind of accountability there is (not making any accusations) and with ad revenue coming in, Moo would probably have to start some sort of corporation to manage it. And with that happening it starts to open up the site to things like taxes, incorporation fees, etc. And, would in all likelihood drive donations down.

Regardless of what I think, I'm sure Moo and the other staff members have considered ways of generating revenue to keep the site running. As they've made the decision to stick with the donation model, I don't really see the point of further discussion on the issue. If the site management (who can see the books, and know what kind of financial shape ADISC is in) feels that they can keep the site running on donations alone, that is their decision. If they feel it's necessary to float the idea of hosting ads, let them do it.

diaperedteenager

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
Holy Shit! You read my mind :D I agree with you 100% of the way, I am offering my company for the advertising services. Allow me to work on the advertising (if approved) and I guarantee you we will make some money! But I do agree, we could make a decent chunk of money with it and it will help fund the site, without the burden of worrying whether or not members will donate. I say it is a great idea.

E

Error404

I'm all for this. Any revenue for ADISC is good revenue. I honestly wouldn't mind ads on the site if they weren't shoved in my face.

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
  1. Private
As a user, I wouldn't want to see ads on ADISC.
So, as an admin, my inclination is that ADISC should be forever free of ads.

Raccoon

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur

Moo has spoken. But to be clear, I suggested ads on the newsletter would remove them from the rest of the site.
Moo - when you say ADISC - do you mean the main site or all parts of ADISC :INCLUDING THE NEWSLETTER?

If so, then is there to be a rigorous clamping down on any mention of products or services on offer between members? Is negrep supposed to enforce this? What are the rules on talking about one's business ventures?

Takashi

Always willing to give help to those who seek it.
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Carer
As a user, I wouldn't want to see ads on ADISC.

:thumbsup:

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
  1. Private
When saying that I'm inclined to believe ADISC should forever be free of ads, I mean all of ADISC, including the newsletter, and all other parts of it.

If I see ads on a site, my first impulse is to leave and go elsewhere.
As an admin, I do not feel it would be fair to subject my users to something that I'm not willing to accept myself.

Raccoon

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
so as to what to do if people do place ads on any part of the site... I guess forward those things through requests and let the staff decide what action to take: which would include contacting the parties concerned.

I just wish there was a more directly stated policy on what is ok or not to do re: talking about one's things on offer.

Eulogy

ADISC Moderator
Staff
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Babyfur
How about making a newsletter with ads, but allowing them to be disabled with one click(Something on the page to simply block them)

As far as ads on the forum...never, that's when the community starts it's downward spiral

avery

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
When saying that I'm inclined to believe ADISC should forever be free of ads, I mean all of ADISC, including the newsletter, and all other parts of it.

If I see ads on a site, my first impulse is to leave and go elsewhere.
As an admin, I do not feel it would be fair to subject my users to something that I'm not willing to accept myself.

i'm so happy to hear you say that! :D

I just wish there was a more directly stated policy on what is ok or not to do re: talking about one's things on offer.

having a lot of rules about what is allowed and what isn't can be a very effective policy on certain rare occasions. but most of the time it's a really bad idea.

diaperedteenager

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
Now, as a member...I don't mind ads, as long as they aren't huge and aren't pop ups.

As a Capitalist and business owner, I say "come on baby, let the ads roll"! I think that it will take the burden off of you Moo, and you won't have to worry about whether or not you'll get enough donations for this month(if you feel that way ofcourse)

Let me whip up a sample newsletter and how I think the ad space should look and I can send it to you Moo, that sound good?

Raccoon

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
having a lot of rules about what is allowed and what isn't ... most of the time it's a really bad idea.

How so? For example?

Oh - and Moo clearly said no ads anywhere; I asked what the policy is on ads that are placed? Links, mentions, and so on.

Role
  1. Private
I'd be pretty fucking disgusted if I ever saw ads on this site, in any regard. Nothing makes me cringe more when I visit a webpage.

Talula

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
I'd be pretty fucking disgusted if I ever saw ads on this site, in any regard. Nothing makes me cringe more when I visit a webpage.

I agree wholeheartedly with this. Although possibly without the swearing, because I don't swear very often.

One of the things I love about adisc is that there ARE no ads. It's so wonderful :)

Raccoon

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
Oh - and Moo clearly said no ads anywhere; I asked what the policy is on ads that are placed? Links, mentions, and so on.

One of the things I love about adisc is that there ARE no ads. It's so wonderful :)

Too late: like I said Moo already said no ads on the site INCLUDING the newletter; that issue is over and done with. Though agreeing after the fact does no harm, I suppose. I suggested ads in the newsletter, Moo said no, now let's move on, shall we?

The issue before us, is what to do about ads people DO place, in violation of site policy? Such as a link, or verbal mention of what they are selling.

You did read the second paragraph in post #6, right? Or just the most recent post and ASSUMED I was still proposing ads?

Role
  1. Private
The issue before us, is what to do about ads people DO place, in violation of site policy? Such as a link, or verbal mention of what they are selling.

You did read the second paragraph in post #6, right? Or just the most recent post and ASSUMED I was still proposing ads?

The same rule that's always been in place: It's considered spam (and is rightfully deleted) unless it's in the Links section, which was designed, in part, to serve the purpose of people advertising their services.

mm3

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Carer
  2. Other
Ads nowadays aren't as simple as they used to be. As a [email protected] user, ads are usually Javascript or Flash based, and slug down my machine. It makes sites like ThePirateBay impossible to navigate with all the lag. (Single Core laptop FTL)

Ads on ADISC would probably equate to me not visiting, as it would be a hassle and a half to just scroll.

Raccoon

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
The same rule that's always been in place: It's considered spam (and is rightfully deleted) unless it's in the Links section, which was designed, in part, to serve the purpose of people advertising their services.
Thank-you: my query is answered. There - wasn't that easy?

BTW (and this is all moot of course) I had envisioned the newsletter ads as plaintext. Maybe a photo, caption, and link.

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I would rather not see any more commercialization on the internet.

Now maybe if Moo wanted to talk to XPMedical, Bambino, or Fetware about advertising... since it is at least relavent to our interests.

But I doubt it... as our resident Sage pointed out, most of our members are poor or underage, so they aren't going to buy things anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.