Pacis cause mouth breathing in kids but prevents it in adults?

IWANTHOTDOG

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
Any google search will show results that pacifiers are bad for kids since they cause poor oral habits and cause the mouth to grow in ways that encourage mouth breathing by training the tongue to rest in a downwards position (your tongue is suppose to rest against the roof of your mouth). Although I did find this study that suggests that orthodontic pacis don't have the same negative effects https://bmcpediatr.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12887-019-1668-3, though I don't know the validity of this study.

What my point is that i recognized that when I use my paci, it completly stops any mouth breathing, which is a good thing. Since an adult mouth has already finished growing, I wonder if prolonged use of a pacifier won't cause increased mouth breathing when not using the paci. If this is the case, then using a paci is actually very beneficial since mouth breathing is really bad for you. I'm going to experiment by using my paci during the day and at bedtime to see if it reduces my overall level of mouthbreathing when NOT using a paci, or increases it.

• Thinking
Reactions: littleph0enix and medfet878

IcyBlue

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
  3. Little
  4. Carer
Pacifier can be a double edged sword for adults. If it’s a poor fit then it can push on the teeth mildly causing you to suck it differently or softer. That can lead to it falling out or cause dribbling and possibly a little rash. If you grind your teeth in your sleep this is really helpful when you find the correct fitting pacifier.
A silly habit I have noticed is automatically putting the pacifier back in my mouth when I’m asleep if its fallen out. Sometimes I end up with bed fluff in my mouth now 🙀

• Haha
Reactions: AComputerGuy

Arkady

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Babyfur
  3. Little
Sometimes I get a rash from the paci. I'm not entirely sure if it stops mouth breathing, because I sometimes get a rash from the drooling. In fact, when I'm awake, pacis can cause me to drool.

mbby

Diapered for Life
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Incontinent
Pacifiers tend to keep an adult from snoring and helps breathing more through the nose and not so much through the mouth. I can tell that the roof of my mouth has the shape of the adult pacifier but it doesn't seem to bother me. I don't think I can go without having a pacifier when I go to sleep. During the night, I automatically find the pacifier has fallen out and it goes back into my mouth.

TheBob

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent
Arkady said:
Sometimes I get a rash from the paci. I'm not entirely sure if it stops mouth breathing, because I sometimes get a rash from the drooling. In fact, when I'm awake, pacis can cause me to drool.
You may be allergic to latex

Arkady

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Babyfur
  3. Little
TheBob said:
You may be allergic to latex
Mine are silicone though.

TheBob

Est. Contributor