Over the air channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaLionMan1982

Techie in Atlanta looking to meet people.
Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Incontinent
  4. Carer
Anyone get their TV through over the air channels and streaming, I dropped traditional cable it got too expensive.

Netflix and YouTube will be your best friend. In all actuality the only thing you need for entertainment these days is the internet. Bye bye cable :D

I too have Netflix but also Direct TV. I've been thinking seriously of dumping Direct TV because yes, it's too expensive.

I've used over the air antennas for years. Even set up one for a friend who could not afford cable.

dogboy said:
I too have Netflix but also Direct TV. I've been thinking seriously of dumping Direct TV because yes, it's too expensive.

Where I am in Northern Michigan I am too far from the Digital towers that the TV stations use and no antenna ever made will pick them up. So I am stuck with ATT/Directly raise your bill each month TV or Dish not your network TV company. Sad that rural parts of the country and being left behind thanks to the lunacy of switching from analog TV to this digital nonsense. Oh Youtbue and Netflix you need reliable REAL UNLIMITED INTERNET to use those things. No rural internet will allow you to use those without going over your allotment in a 2 hours time. I call for the return to analog TV. with that I could get 2 Canadian channels and a few from Wisconsin also wind pending.

I live in central Virginia and I'm surround by mountains so I can't get anything through the air. I could bundle telephone, internet and TV with Comcast so I'm thinking about that, but Comcast has caused me problems in the past too. I could also just have Netflix and maybe Apple, but I have to jump through hoops to watch TV when I come home tired from working at night.

I have a bundled package. Cable Tv and cable internet. 134 cable channels with many of them in both regular and HD. Internet 600 Mbit down, 50 Mbits up.
Pay around 100$ for that converted from SEK to $ per month. I haven’t had Tv via air since the early nineties.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

we will probably have to give up cable tv eventually. I'm not sure when.

Even when I was in the metro area we really didn't have that much on the OTA channels (that's all we had at work).

I have Over the air and Roku myself.

I had an antenna for OTA in my last apartment, but I think I set it up wrong because I only got 3 channels, most of which were religious in nature. When my condo is ready in about a months time I plan on just having internet and probably Netflix. No cable for me!

here in the UK, internet speeds aren't really up to providing all our televisual 'needs', unless you can afford to go fibre optical (which isn't always a guarantee of 'fast' speeds as you may only get fibre up to the nearest junction box; thereon, you're back onto ye olde copper cable until the main exchange. for most people still fully on copper, beyond two miles from an exchange and you'll probably maxing at 2.5Mbps).
not too long ago, i bought myself a NowTV box with a month's movie pass (basic access to SkyTV's wares). the minimum recommended speed is 2.5 Mbps (our maximum, on a good day), so we're pushing it a bit, but i've been surprised at how good it is (helped by getting a free 6 month Entertainment pass and then a reduced Movie subscription fee for 4 months when i went to cancel the rolling subscription).
so, i'm busy making the most of it while i can. naturally, i tend to avoid peak internet use times.

i've just binged-watched The Strain, over a week (it's okay, but just a rehash of stuff from the 1980s like V and Amerika, and possibly before).

other than that, we're still on the airwaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back