Ouch. silly mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PyjamaBaby

My family are going away for a few days today. I get the chance to be diapered as much as I want. Of course my wife knows and loves me whatever, but I tend to wear mostly at night to be discrete around the kids.

Anyway this morning I am trimming my hair (and not on my face) and I slip slightly with the trimmers. Lots of blood and my wife trying to help me mop it up.

Now what should I do to make sure I don't get it infected? I am using lots of Polyderm, but still want to stay diapered.... Silly baby
:wallbash:

M

Maxx

Hate to say it, but perhaps you should wear big boy pants for a day. Fortunately, skin in that region seems to heal much quicker than it does on other parts of the body, so a day might be enough.

Kenn

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I would think that liquid bandage would work, but have no experience "in that area". For future reference, I use a double-blade pivoting razor - dry or wet - and have not had a problem.

bambinod

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
A lesson I learned the hard way, your skin's health needs to come before your diapers. Because simply put, if you have problems with your skin, diapers will no longer be an option for awhile. So take a voluntary short break to heal, rather than being forced to take a longer, more painful, less pleasant break because you made things worse.

Avalanche

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
This reminds me of my holiday a few weeks back. I went to a place with very beautiful beaches. I never spend an entire holiday at the beach, but I was really looking forward for the beach time and the waves... long overdue. Three days into the holiday I finally arrived at the beach which was supposed to be the bestest of all. As I'm walking into the water (I probably walked a bit too enthusiastically) I kicked a piece of rock and cut my thumb so deep that beach was no longer an option for the rest of the holiday. I was so stupid. It was an endless sandy beach with just a few (very few) rocks in one particular place, exactly where I was. While I was feeling quite miserable, sitting in my hotel room for the rest of that day, the rest of the holiday turned out more than ok. I had a car and instead of the beaches I explored the surrounding mountains, have had some great views of the ocean, some beautiful sunsets and I had fun. Although I still want to return next year and go to that beach again.

Lesson: Sometimes you're looking forward to something very much, but some little thing (which you often cause yourself) eventually prevents you from enjoying the main part. But you can find some alternative activity and still have a good time. And do the originally planned thing next time.

On a more constructive side... training pants? Or wait one day as Maxx suggested and then wear the diapers, but be more careful than usual and always change as soon as you wet? Or just wear the diapers without using them (I know...)

P

PyjamaBaby

This reminds me of my holiday a few weeks back.

On a more constructive side... training pants? Or wait one day as Maxx suggested and then wear the diapers, but be more careful than usual and always change as soon as you wet? Or just wear the diapers without using them (I know...)

Ouch. Glad the mountains were nice.

Thanks for all the advice. I'm a bit sore, so I'm going with wearing goodnites and not using them. Not what I had planned, but better safe than sorry and comfortable on my tender parts.

Avalanche

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
Maybe it's an opportunity in a way... to discover new ways of enjoying your AB time without focusing on the diaper/wetting part that much?

In any case, have a good time. Report back how it was.

Spaz

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Incontinent
Those of us who are incontinent don't have the option not to wet ourselves. I've cut myself before in that area with an electric razor. I always try to stay as clean as possible down there. More frequent changes are the order. I don't know how bad your cut is, but you can always use a bandage, some extra zinc oxide and powder. Urine is sterile until it mixes with bacteria outside the body. If you don't stay in a wet diaper for a long period of time, you'll be fine.

bambinod

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Triple antibiotic is also your friend. it comes in a suspension of vaseline usually, which works out well.

Lately I keep that in my lunch bag so I have it with me if I get a cut at work. If I do, I clean it immediately, and rub a streak of that over it. It's been competely effective at preventing infection, even the minor "swells and is tender for a few days" minor infections. If successful, I don't even get any sensitivity out of the cut, and it heals much faster.

alexchar1982

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
just for future reference, an old scout trick for waterproofing an injury is a gauze pad coverd by a strip of duct tape, better at staying on than any bandaid. still, best option is to avoid risking it altogether and just not use the diaper.

Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Hardly want to talk about this here, but I've had three massive M.R.S.A. infections in the diaper region. Dealt with them all, without having to give up my diapers, and, mind you, these are E.R. visit type infections, not just a little cut. We're talking abscesses that would make you faint, if I posted pics. Just be smart, and clean/change often, once wet. Enuf said. Many ouchies involved in these! I now shower with surgical soap nearly every day, and, no, I don't need any advice on over-cleaning. I'm managing quite well, at this point...

P

PyjamaBaby

just for future reference, an old scout trick for waterproofing an injury is a gauze pad coverd by a strip of duct tape, better at staying on than any bandaid. still, best option is to avoid risking it altogether and just not use the diaper.

Duct tape on your privates? Sounds painful to get off. Thanks for the advice though

P

PyjamaBaby

Thanks everyone for all the advice. Plenty of triple antibiotic polyderm cream, frequent diaper changes and a bit more big boy pants than I was planning and my jewels are well on the mend.

Glad I have my pacifier, bottles etc to still make my week babyish.

P

PyjamaBaby

Hardly want to talk about this here, but I've had three massive M.R.S.A. infections in the diaper region. Dealt with them all, without having to give up my diapers, and, mind you, these are E.R. visit type infections, not just a little cut. We're talking abscesses that would make you faint, if I posted pics. Just be smart, and clean/change often, once wet. Enuf said. Many ouchies involved in these! I now shower with surgical soap nearly every day, and, no, I don't need any advice on over-cleaning. I'm managing quite well, at this point...

Ouch indeed. M.R.S.A. Infections sound horrible. Glad you're ok

Zeek61

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Little

Question ... if you didnt go to see anyone about this how do you know that they were MRSA infections? Chances are they probably weren't an MRSA infection if you could clear them without assistance from at least someone medical. MRSA infections usually require IV antibiotics to clear.

Also, be a bit careful using any antibiotic cream on the skin. Most of the time the organisms on the skin are usually resistant to what you are using on the skin. Especially if you are using it quite a lot. Its a bit of a mis-conception that if you are using an antibacterial it will heal faster. It depends upon how the wound is cared for and if the wound has been closed properly. Yes, an infection (if an actual infection) will delay the healing of the skin and antibiotics do help to prevent that. But i can tell you that most skin infections are able to be cleared normally by the immune system without issues. But definitely keeping the wound dry and well dressed will help prevent getting an infection.

Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Question ... if you didnt go to see anyone about this how do you know that they were MRSA infections? Chances are they probably weren't an MRSA infection if you could clear them without assistance from at least someone medical. MRSA infections usually require IV antibiotics to clear.

Also, be a bit careful using any antibiotic cream on the skin. Most of the time the organisms on the skin are usually resistant to what you are using on the skin. Especially if you are using it quite a lot. Its a bit of a mis-conception that if you are using an antibacterial it will heal faster. It depends upon how the wound is cared for and if the wound has been closed properly.

I did mention that these were E.R. type infections, and YES, I did have to go to many E.R.'s across the country, in dealing with them. Probably in the E.R. about 12+ times in the past two years for the initial & follow ups, plus the whole range of antibiotics to treat, plus daily bandaging, in the diaper area. I could claim to be a M.R.S.A. expert, but won't. All too often I hear about the good bacteria on your skin, but, let me tell you, M.R.S.A. ISN'T one of them. The wounds are vicious, and massive, and there's no way anybody would say, "think I'll just bandage this up". They need to be drained, cultured, and packed, then bandaged. NOBODY wants one of these, and once you get one, they just seem to latch onto your body, and give the gift that keeps on giving! This is why I'm always curious about those that cut, scrape, puncture themselves, wondering if that wonderful M.R.S.A. came calling, would they still do this to themselves??? It's effectively like shooting yourself in the foot.

And, YES, I'll reiterate. Once you have the infections, you'll need to shower in surgical scrub (Hibiclens, or equal), leaving it on for about 5 mins to wipe out anything on your skin. I've had ZERO other skin-type infections, as a result of the surgi-scrub.

This stuff lives on most everybody's skin, but only some are affected, and then usually that's because there's an entry point. Mine could have been from shaving down there (scrotum area), or from wiping too such (anal area), but I also had one on a fingernail, and one in my nostril (don't pluck those nose hairs!), so watch out. The fingernail one just appeared out of nowhere, as if someone smashed my finger with a hammer. Lost the nail, too! Thought I'd lose the end of that finger!! Ouch! The nostril infection I can't even describe, except to say it involved my jaw, my skull, and obviously my whole face, BUT it was only portions of an inch away from my brain, in Dr. Oz's triangle of death. Very serious shit!

M.R.S.A. is horribly infectious, too! If you know someone with it, take major precautions (gloves, sanitize all, etc.), or you'll be entertaining you're own colony. Since it seems to colonize in the nose, infected people usually need a nasal antibiotic, as well.

Now you know what I know. DON'T catch this crap, and don't "play" in dirty places, if you know what I mean. I believe it can be passed by urine & feces (hate that word, but I'm speaking clinically here), so wear gloves while changing them diapers, kidz, especially if you're playing with someone you don't know.

PS Can't recall the names of all the injectable & oral antibiotics I've taken lately (strepto, amoxy, and 3-4 others...), but when you find yourself bedridden, with a pick line feeding you Vancomycin, you'll know you've got the worst of it, and there hitting you hard with the meds. This stuff DOES KILL (compromised immune patients, kids, and elderly), so take heed. My cousin just died a few months ago, with a massive (very ugly) foot infection, complicated by never ending M.R.S.A. Even some doctors don't take this shit seriously enough. His rehab doctor did not, contributing to his late rearrival at an E.R., where he coded, at 49.

Last edited:

PetiteAbeille

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
Pharmacist weighing in here: Clean it well before you put the diaper on and clean it again immediately after you wet. Apply a topical antibiotic (I'm assuming that's what Polyderm is?) until the cut is no longer open. Most importantly, keep a close eye on it for any signs of infection (spreading redness, heat, oozing). So long as you keep it clean I don't see much of a problem. It should heal over fairly quickly anyway.

Zeek61

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Little
M.R.S.A. is horribly infectious, too! If you know someone with it, take major precautions (gloves, sanitize all, etc.), or you'll be entertaining you're own colony. Since it seems to colonize in the nose, infected people usually need a nasal antibiotic, as well.

Not to be a pain here, but just because you have been colonised with MRSA doesn't mean that every wound on your body will be MRSA infected. Its something we do need to keep an eye on as it can be serious as you have said. But it isn't a matter of MRSA colonisation = MRSA infected wounds. I have seen people that have had MRSA with wounds that were not infected by MRSA (proven by taking swabs of the wound and culturing them).

Yes, you are right that it is serious but chances are that the ones that were infected that you treated yourself were probably just an infected wound and not MRSA infection. If you had MRSA then you wouldn't be able to treat it with a simple antibiotic cream (MRSA is pretty much resistant to most of those kinds of antibiotic creams we use).

And yes you can get MRSA from other people but it depends on what your own bacteria are doing. You normal bacteria colonise the skin in order to displace any bad bacteria (like this). Unfortunately these "good" bacteria on the skin can infect wounds and cause what we call opportunistic infections (a bug that is normally on the skin that has grown/moved to a place that it shouldn't be at and caused an infection). These are extremely common and most skin infections are due to this kind of a phenomena.

Other infections, like MRSA tend to be far more systemic, and cause far more generalised symptoms then just simply skin infection. MRSA is particularly known for creating cellulitis (the red patchy and warm rash that can occur around the skin is a cellulitis that normally occurs but in MRSA it tends to travel far further). As a healthcare worker myself, i am probably colonised with MRSA as i have bene in contact with more people with MRSA then i would care for. And whilst i do take precautions when seeing them (gowns, gloves, hand hygiene) i doubt that it would completely prevent me from getting it. The difference is that there are more of my other bacteria that MRSA isn't actually causing an issue for me. And at the same time the other bacteria are probably offsetting the MRSA to the point where it isn't really that visible.

Status
Not open for further replies.