AddyShadows

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Little
So the sexual orientation thing in the profile 'about me' section is pretty good, but there are a few missing, Just a little proposal to add Pansexual and Polysexual, or perhaps just have the 'other' be a fill in your own thing line? Its a small thing but Bi doesn't exactly cover everyone who isn't one of the binaries or Asexual. Just a thought really. Putting down "Bi" and/or "Other" makes it look weird to me, like, who wants to be categorized as 'other' ? I know I don't.

KimbaFoxNatsume

Pokemon Trainer in, err, Training... Pants
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
It's not a big deal to me but I wouldn't mind if there was a fill-in line option. I currently have myself listed as ''straight, asexual, other''; I'm heteroromantic asexual and that's about the best way to put it with the current options.

Snivy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Babyfur
  2. Carer
  3. Private
I have a few labels about me and it's hard to interpret each one.

Demisexual
Heteroflexible
But putting Asexual, straight, and Bi kinda misleads where I go with this so adding a few more would honestly be helpful.

Allykins

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Babyfur
  2. Little
I'd love aromatic, but I worry that might be too obscure it'd help with people who put asexual and other sexualitirssexualities to try to explain though.

HoganBunny

Legendary Bun
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Babyfur
  3. Little
A write-in option with a multiple selection radiobox isn't possible, apparently, per this post.

More options might be feasible, although it's up to Moo.

CuddleFish

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
I'm all for refined language, but at some point it is like splitting hairs. There isn't much difference between bisexual and pansexual, in my opinon, and I say this as somebody who identified as the former and then the later at one point in my life. Bisexuality means that one likes both genders, and pansexual means that you like all genders, but I doubt there are many bisexuals who would pass up an attractive partner because they identify as gender queer or have liminal anatomy. If anything labeling oneself pansexual is more of an acknowledgement that there are more than two genders than it is a descrete orientation.

AddyShadows

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Little
A write-in option with a multiple selection radiobox isn't possible, apparently, per this post.

More options might be feasible, although it's up to Moo.

Don't mean to be debby downer here, but if that post is true then the forum software sucks. Even phpbb3 which is supposidly out of date compared to the software of this site can do that function.

I'm all for refined language, but at some point it is like splitting hairs. There isn't much difference between bisexual and pansexual, in my opinon, and I say this as somebody who identified as the former and then the later at one point in my life. Bisexuality means that one likes both genders, and pansexual means that you like all genders, but I doubt there are many bisexuals who would pass up an attractive partner because they identify as gender queer or have liminal anatomy. If anything labeling oneself pansexual is more of an acknowledgement that there are more than two genders than it is a descrete orientation.

There is still a difference, Saying it's the same thing is like, saying being gay and asexual is the same thing because they both don't like the same gender. I mean that's a broad comparison but still.

HoganBunny

Legendary Bun
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Babyfur
  3. Little
Don't mean to be debby downer here, but if that post is true then the forum software sucks. Even phpbb3 which is supposidly out of date compared to the software of this site can do that function.

I'd agree it's silly, but any forum software has its quirks. A write-in would be possible with a regular set of radio buttons - the gender field works that way. It's just not possible if the radio box supports multiple selection, without Moo making custom modifications.

Long-term, Moo plans on moving to a different forum software, so it may be possible in the future.

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
  1. Private

It supports radio options with a write-in. IE: pick one option from a list, OR write your own, but not both.
It just doesn't support checkboxes with a write-in. IE: pick no/one/many option(s) from a list AND/OR write your own.

AddyShadows

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Little
I'd agree it's silly, but any forum software has its quirks. A write-in would be possible with a regular set of radio buttons - the gender field works that way. It's just not possible if the radio box supports multiple selection, without Moo making custom modifications.

Long-term, Moo plans on moving to a different forum software, so it may be possible in the future.

It supports radio options with a write-in. IE: pick one option from a list, OR write your own, but not both.
It just doesn't support checkboxes with a write-in. IE: pick no/one/many option(s) from a list AND/OR write your own.

Well that sucks, ah well. Hopefully in the future some kind of adaptation can be made to the software to allow more functionality.

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
  1. Private
I'm wondering why we even have this field at all.
Everyone seems to want their own ever-so-unique label. And having the labels at all doesn't seem to serve any useful purpose.
We're not a dating site. We don't want people searching for others based on these fields.
I suppose they could be part of someone's identity, but in that case, they could just put them in the bio.

I'm not even sure there's a good reason for this field to even exist, let alone support a dazzling array of options.

Cottontail

Sailing, sailing, ...
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
Well, I'll be honest: I find this field interesting, and when I surf profiles, I do look at and process it. We're not a dating site, true, but for many of us, AB/DL is a major feature of our sexuality. Consequently, I'd say that conversations about sexuality, where they don't stray beyond PG-13, are quite acceptable and on topic, and a person's orientation may provide insight into his or her perspective. From another angle, I guess I'd say that, if we're going to go out of our way to remove the orientation field--which already exists, and requires no effort to spare--then we may as well really clean house and ditch gender and a few other non-AB/DL fields. 'Cause really, I think there are other fields that are way off topic, relatively speaking, when compared to orientation.

IMO.

*generous helping of salt* :)

M

Maxx

Gender and orientation are pretty important to people, or they wouldn't come up so often. Come to think of it, its pretty important to a large part of life on earth. Those who don't wish to disclose, don't. Note all the "other", "private" and "none of your business" entries.

I find it useful in the course of some discussions to have a look at a profile to get some insight into a person. Believe it or not, there are some things I won't say to a Martian Plant Man who reproduces by budding that I would discuss freely with one who reproduces via mitosis.

AddyShadows

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Little
It can influence social communications a lot, it changes the way you interact with someone. It allows people with similar interests to easily find out who they can chat with and feel comfortable talking about adisc related things that might had an orientation overtone. It also allows (As much as I hate to use this as a point.) People who dislike others of certain orientations to avoid them, avoiding conflicts on the forum publicly.

While no it's not something that major, and this isn't a dating site, it can influence conversation, it can help people become friends because they have the same interests, and in some cases lead to intelligent conversation about the human need to label (Or not label) oneself in orientation. We're all unique and some of us feel the need to display our uniqueness on our profiles, if that makes sense?

To be honest I didn't even know this thread was still a thing. Good to know that suggestions are actively thought about by you Moo, this is one of the few sites where I can say the staff have dusted off an old suggestion topic just because they still have something to say on the subject. Most places would have closed this by now. A++++ for still caring! :D

S

Starrunner

In my province, our government is modifying the information on our health cards be removing the 'male' or 'female' information currently listed. The driver's licences wild now allow a choice of marking 'M' or 'F' or, if the person wishes to identify as such, 'X' for cross gender. At the federal level, they're looking at having male female or transgender, which was offensive to people who fit in this category since it basically 'outs' people who are not publicly self-identifying.

The whole thing can get pretty complicated, and if you really wanted to be inclusive, you'd have to list dozens or hundreds of identification, and probably a glossary of terms to ensure we're all on the same page. http://itspronouncedmetrosexual.com/2013/01/a-comprehensive-list-of-lgbtq-term-definitions/

I've always tried to be sensitive as to how a person self-identifies. For myself, I've always felt that asking someone to write in their own gender identity or include it under 'other' diminishes their equality when compared to the standard orientation. I think we should list them all properly and respectfully, or simply remove them. The former would require an onerous amount of work for little payoff, while the latter option treats everybody equally. I don't think we need to equate a person's gender or orientation with their words unless it's a relevant part of a posted discussion. I'd be in favour of removing it.

gigglemuffinz

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
If it's not too late to get my two cents in, I do think that with the amount of labels that people can identify with.. all absolutely valid, it is a bit.. much to expect often these sort of fields to keep up with. As our udnerstand of human sexuality continues to move forward, trying to keep people classified in a few simple labels seems like a impossibility.

I absolutely could see the merit in removing the field altogether. It would absolutely further distance the forum away from the idea that this is a dating site to search for people on, and people could still be encouraged to discuss their sexuality as it relates to themselves within the confines of their About Me. If a sort of middle ground was needed, perhaps sexuality could be transitioned to a field like Tagline or Non-AB/DL interests. Separate from About Me, but a fill in the blank sort of section.

Snivy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Babyfur
  2. Carer
  3. Private
Or why not just let us type out our own labels but like a limit of 8 letters or so?

Trevor

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
I'm wondering why we even have this field at all.
Everyone seems to want their own ever-so-unique label. And having the labels at all doesn't seem to serve any useful purpose.
We're not a dating site. We don't want people searching for others based on these fields.
I suppose they could be part of someone's identity, but in that case, they could just put them in the bio.

I'm not even sure there's a good reason for this field to even exist, let alone support a dazzling array of options.

I find it helpful from time to time and I don't like the idea of dropping something that provides potentially useful information just because it doesn't fit all circumstances. I have no problem with a fill in if that is an easy fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.