on adult size cribs, question

binkyb

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
If you could have an adult sized crib would you go for a little door to enter or have to have the whole side slide, thinking about trying to put one together that would maybe be affordable any input would be appreciated, also (be realistic) what would you be willing to pay, not selling any yet but I would like to get a feel of what I should shoot for (I am in the usa). any design ideas, colors etc would be helpful, thanks everyone

I've thought about this a bit. An adult sized crib with the traditional slide up and down side would be more desirable, but it would mean that the mattress would have to be higher up to allow room for the side to drop. It would also mean this style adult crib would have to be a dedicated piece of furniture and would not be easy to hide if you had to.

I've been thinking of a set of removable rails that would fit on or around a twin bed frame. This would necessitate the use of the swinging gate style of entry. These rails could be easily removed from the bed frame and hidden somewhere if need be.

Last edited:
Reactions: binkyb, LittlePrince and Sheepies
I am one of the lucky ones that has a crib. I have a drop side on my crib, and hindsight being 20/20 I think I would have preferred a door. As dippy says, the drop side has to be a fair way off the floor and it’s a lot of work climbing in and out. And even more work for my wife as she is smaller than I.

Reactions: binkyb
I'm another one of those lucky ABs that has a crib. I had mind built with a drop side as I felt it would look more authentic. The crib itself is 8' tall with the mattress at 3', but that helps to make me feel even more little. Getting in isn't too bad as I have step stool. As mentioned though, there is no easy way to disassemble it, or cover it if the need arises. Thankfully, that hasn't happened yet.

What about a fold down door?

MrPurple said:
What about a fold down door?
I was actually thinking more like a sliding door, like the barn doors that are popular in the home improvement stores currently. You can get all the hardware needed at Lowe’s or Home Depot.

Instead of drop down sides you could do a door in the end (the foot) of the crib

If i get my new flat with a hobbyroom, i will try to build the upper part for my bed... but it has to be removeable. Will be difficult :unsure:

I've done some adult size furniture. It must be knock down (KD) even if not meant for frequent disassembly. Freight will be HIGH for even the KD version. One fast and dirty way for pricing is to double the materials cost. Then think about the number of hours to build (including time to set machines up) Take that guess and figure no less (and it should be more) $10 an hour. See what that number is. This is the bare minimum price (because you would love making one of these) This number will be a lot higher than most people can afford.

Yes I know it wouldn't be cheap and the first one always takes forever till you figure out the kinks, I like the gate at the foot of the bed idea, that would be easier and being able to flat pack with easy assembly is a must, I will have to build mine first and see how it comes out, Love all you guys input please keep it coming

I love the little door. I saw one once that was like that and I know that if I ever got a crib, that is what I would want.

I have the sides off an old bunk bed that went around the top, not as high as crib sides but remind me of toddler bed sides.

Binkyb also plan on mounting places for restraints. Some naughty babies need them.

Chamed said:
Binkyb also plan on mounting places for restraints. Some naughty babies need them.
great idea, I probably would need those, thanks

I’ve got a crib as well. It is a drop side but here’s what I did. I build a custom bed frame with captive hardware. I have the frame sitting directly on the floor, or I have feet for it as well that screw into mounting plates under the frame. The mattress sits on slats, no box spring required. It is a twin mattress. The mattress sits recessed into the frame a couple inches. The drop is only about 8 inches or so, but it’s the difference between being able to step over it with the help of a stool, and it being too tall to climb out of with working really hard at it. Also because of the captive hardware I can remove the ends which mount the sides as well. This allows the base frame to be used as a standard bed for guests, which I have done, with no one the wiser. I can share pictures if anyone is interested. There’s a total of 12 bolts that hold the whole crib assembly to the frame. Pretty easy to disassemble if desired.

i built mine using a regular twin size bed frame and 2 headboards one at each end.
i was able to attach crib hardware and the only thing I had to make was the rails, which was quite a challenge. It came out OK and has lasted 15 years so far. This link may still be good http://www.productsamerica.com/cribpartsindex.html

Last edited:
Products America may be no more. The web site has disappeared. I've bought high chair hardware from them in past. the link above is now a dead end.

Back