Omg i killed a cat!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

diapeybabybrian

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I was driving home from my friends house at approx. 1:16 AM EST when from the corner of my left eye I saw an adult black cat run directly in front of my veichle and then I immediatley heard tHuMp tHuMp (front and rear tire hitting something).

I've always heard people say "oh, there was nothing I could do, it just jumped out in front of me", and i've always frowned and said "B-S, you could have done SOMETHING"...but really...they were right...there was nothing I could do :frown:.

I've hit squirrels before, but this is really big :frown:. I killed someone's pet tonight and I feel awful :frown:. The cat certainly had a death wish though, because I was the only car on the road when it happened....Do cats commit suicide?:eek:

:frown: Help me guys :frown:

FluffyFluffers

Est. Contributor
Role
Babyfur, Sissy
Deal with it.

So you hit a BLACK cat at night in the dark.

Any court would rule that you had no fault in killing it seeing as it ran out in front of your car and is not visible. So do not worry about it.

Mandy

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Deal with it.
Dont be mean to him

Brian i have thankfully never had to experience anything like that before , maybe cause i can't drive yet , but still im sure you must feel bad. I know you took someones beloved pet away from there family but dont kill yourself over it , as you said there was nothing you could do . I mean at least it wasn't intentional , it was a accident.

Grutzvalt

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby
This is one of the few situations in which I would suggest you talk to someone, because this is something that happens once, and has a huge impact. But yeah, guys: stop being dicks.

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
It was a accident you were not aiming for the cat and the cat could of waited like 4 seconds to cross safely. In other word's its all the cat's fault, most animals have the sense to stay away from moving objects which are MANY times bigger then them. Also if it was someones pet why was it out at the middle of the night? So I doubt it was.

FluffyFluffers

Est. Contributor
Role
Babyfur, Sissy
Dont be mean to him
How is that mean If he does not deal with it he will end up all emo and stuff. and You know Emo Bad. With all the black nail polish my chemical romance and the stealing your sisters mascara.
Ah joking.

But seriously how is telling someone to deal with it they did nothing wrong mean?

Nexeon

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
That's the bad part about having pets. They never seem to relize the dangers involved with vehicles and such. I've personally ran over a cat a few years ago. It was also hard to deal with. It was dark out and only saw the cat maybe a second before my tires hit it, not soon enough to get the vehicle stopped.

It was an accident, so try not to worry about it too much. Hopefully if it was someones pet they weren't too attached to it. If it occured in a city or town I wouldn't worry too much about it because a cat probably shouldn't be roaming around like that alone, especially late at night. Which could mean it's a stray, or the owner didn't care much about it.

If it happened in a Rural area I still probably wouldn't worry about it too much. I lived on a farm and had a few of our outdoor cats ran over through out my childhood. Generally the outdoor cats we weren't overly attached to anyway and didn't miss them overly much, they were just cats that hung around to us. In rural areas there's also a lot of stray cats just roaming around. On the farm we had plenty of stray cats just move in.

So since the cat was roaming around late at night pretty much anywhere I wouldn't be too worried about the owner being too upset about it because if they were really attached to the cat they wouldn't have allowed the cat to roam around like that, especially late at night. There's also a good chance it was a stray and won't be missed at all.

FluffyFluffers

Est. Contributor
Role
Babyfur, Sissy
Also Just so you know my cat has been hit twice and is fine. (lucky damn fucking cat o_O) and is fine so not a necessary auto kill.

Nexeon

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Also Just so you know my cat has been hit twice and is fine. (lucky damn fucking cat o_O) and is fine so not a necessary auto kill.
That is also true, that cat might not even be hurt much. I had a dog that was run over by a tractor and lived. We took it to the vet to make sure it was fine and it was. It hurt its leg, but that was it. The leg got better within a month and after that it was just like the dog never got ran over at all.

FluffyFluffers

Est. Contributor
Role
Babyfur, Sissy
That is also true, that cat might not even be hurt much. I had a dog that was run over by a tractor and lived. We took it to the vet to make sure it was fine and it was. It hurt its leg, but that was it. The leg got better within a month and after that it was just like the dog never got ran over at all.
I Hurt my dog with a hammer by accident. (knocked it off table dog was under half way) thing got up and licked my face. BTW dog is fine.

Animals are weird. >_>

Yawnie

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur
I remember when a Motorcyclist hit my dog, even though it was my dog's fault for running after him after getting through my mom's legs when she was walking through the door into the garage from the house. Running all the way down the driveway, not a small driveway either (a 2 acre property), and then her (my dog) getter her nose caught in the muffler. My grandpa carried her to the house where my family jumped into the cars flooring down to the closest Animal Hospital for the country side. He followed us to the Hospital where, thankfully, we got there in time. He was soooooooo shook up, he was throwing up and almost passing out, even after we said that it wasn't his fault. We left the hospital bout an hour later, the doctors had to keep working on her. And he followed us home and left after the telephone call saying that she was going to be alright. He gave us his number and everything. A month later, he called us, wondering how she was doing, and was wondering if he could come to see her, he told us after that day that he could never ride a motorcycle again without almost passing out. He sold him motorcycle and bought a car.

This is two pics of her, she's a Border Collie/Terrier cross, sadly, we had to put her to sleep last August due to some sort of internal issues. She was 23 dog years old.

Smile :) on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

My demon dog, RAWR! on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

So you see Val, even though he didn't kill my dog, having this happen to you can really mess your mind up. It's not something you should be taking lightly. And hopefully Brian can find the support he needs in real life and I wish you all the best Brian on the road to getting well.

mizzycub

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur
I don't know what it is like where you are but in the UK the owner isn't legally responsible for a cat's actions but they are for a dog's. Don't worry about it, if you are sure there is nothing you could have done, then there is nothing you could have done. My cat was run over once - but I didn't feel angry at the driver, there is no way the cat could have been seen in time. Its sounds like it is similar with you.

It is also fully possible that the cat has survived. They are tough animals. My cat that was run over survived, and she was very old and ill when she was hit. Just try not to worry about it - I know it might be difficult to think of it but it could be far worse. For one thing, you could have crashed! Think about that.

diapeybabybrian

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
It was dark out and only saw the cat maybe a second before my tires hit it, not soon enough to get the vehicle stopped.
That's exactly what happened in my situation, but you're not approaching this problem with the thought process of a Jedi :rolleyes:.....

If I could go back and change anything about what I did, I wouldn't try to slam on the brakes. I would have jerked the wheel to the left, in an attempt to place the cat in-between the tires (directly under the center of the car) where it would have had the greatest chance of survival.

However, last night, I simply didn't react at all :frown: I saw it about to happen...froze up...and failed :dunno:

Oh, and as far as being "legally responsible"...Of course I'm not worried about getting into trouble with the authorities. I know that what I did isn't illegal, I just simply feel awful about doing it.

If it was another squirrel, or another groundhog, I could have lived with it. But I hit a cat, whom which someone in my city loved dearly and will miss for eternity. I'm a cat owner myself (and a dog owner), and If my cat Never came home one night I would be devastated.

I mean, you raise the little things since they're small enough to fit in the palm of your hand....You teach them everything you can (with the whole, lack of speech barrier), but with all the tricks and little things you actually Can teach them, they can never be taught the dangers of the road :frown:

Last edited by a moderator:

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
If I could go back and change anything about what I did, I wouldn't try to slam on the brakes. I would have jerked the wheel to the left, in an attempt to place the cat in-between the tires (directly under the center of the car) where it would have had the greatest chance of survival.

However, last night, I simply didn't react at all :frown: I saw it about to happen...froze up...and failed :dunno:

There's a difference between knowing what to do and actually doing it

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I've seen THE MATRIX too Pojo,

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path". -Morpheous

Good thing I wasn't even thinking of that...I prefer to not get words to live by from a fictional movie

diapeybabybrian

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
But If you had to pick some words to live by from a fictional movie, THE MATRIX would be that Movie, with such great inspirational phrases like:

"There is no spoon"

"If you see an agent, you do what we do...Run"

hehe

Chillhouse

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Carer
Survival of the fittest. These cats should have evolved ways to survive against vehicles by now.

Nexeon

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
That's exactly what happened in my situation, but you're not approaching this problem with the thought process of a Jedi :rolleyes:.....

Yah, trying to go around the cat probably would have been the best way to go in most cases. It's not always though, you have to make sure your not putting yourself in harms way trying to avoid the animal. I had a very close friend drive off a cliff trying to swerve around a deer about two years ago. The road was icey and lots of swervy corners, he was also driving a little too fast for road conditions. According to the vehicle behind him he was going the speed limit, but with the ice on the road it was too fast. If he hit the deer head on the deer wouldn't have lived but my friend most likely would have lived. By going too fast for the road conditions and swerving he did avoid the deer, but it cost him his life. So make sure your always paying attention to the environment around you while driving.

Status
Not open for further replies.