Oldest Anime You Remember

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pramrider

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Other
I recently received a revelation about Anime from my kids. I was telling them about some of the animated shows I used to watch as a kid. When I mentioned seeing "Astro Boy" they were real surprised, and said that was an early Japanese Anime series. I didn't know that! It aired around 1960 to 1962 or thereabouts and came on around 6:00/6:30pm on one of the Washington, DC channels. We lived in Baltimore and only had rabbit ears on top our old TV, so it always came in snowy looking. All I knew about the show was that the animation was a lot different from animation originating in the U.S. Now I know why it looked different! So, I'm naturally curious about the existence of other Anime shows aired over here in past years. What's the oldest Anime you remember seeing? I imagine there weren't a great deal of them in the past.

~Pramrider

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Pokemon/Digimon maybe? At the moment I can't think of any others that I may have seen

Takashi

Always willing to give help to those who seek it.
Est. Contributor
Role
Carer
Well the Dragon Ball series has been around since 1984.

Trevor

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur
'Speed Racer' was my first great anime hero (before anyone knew to call it anime), starting about age four for me, I think. 'Gigantor' predated him by a few years, but I was too young to have any recollection of that series. After 'Speed Racer', there wasn't any anime on TV for a while in my area until 'Star Blazers' (known in Japan as 'Space Battleship Yamato') started in when I was in middle school. We knew it was from Japan, but it was just another source of animated stuff. What sold it was its dramatic qualities, which outside of 'Jonny Quest', were rare in US animated series.

After 'Star Blazers', I don't recall seeing any anime series on TV until the arrival of 'DragonBall Z' started things rolling again in the US with a vengeance.

Dream

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, , Carer
Dragon Ball and Sailor Moon were probably the first anime I remember watching.

Samaki

Contributor
Role
Dragon ball Z was def one of the first, i disliked it and still do today, but whatever was on i would watch.

I think Hamtaro was also one of the first things I can remember, it's never on anymore but I liked it a bit, at least I think it was one of the first things... if not it then def pokemon.

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
The Flinstones, The Jetsons, or school house rock.

Tough those were all done before I was born I think.

The ones from my time had to be Rugrats and The New adventures Of Whinnie The Pooh. Also some cartoon segments of Eureka's Castle from Nick. I mainly recall hippos playing Tennis from that lol.

jenoleander

Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Incontinent
I remember Astroboy and Speed race when I was a kid in the 70's. But the first I really fell in love with was Battle of the Planets (G-Force and/or Gatchman where other names). The next thing was Robotech in the 80's. That was the show that really made me a fan. NOw I have a collection that just keeps growing. I am very picky though. I must have a good story. The cuteness factor is not a big requirement.

fifigal

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Sissy, Little
You folks have already mentioned,"SpeedRacer","Astro-boy" and "Johny Quest".I also recall one called "Tobar,the Eighth Man".

Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Carer, Other
Oldest one that I have watched would be Akira

Oldest I remember would be the original Gundam

andysetra

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Other
Oldest I remember as a kid would be Astro Boy (it was on saturday afternoon cartoons :D)

Oldest that I've watched in the last couple of years would probably be Detective Conan or Irresponsible Captain Tylor or Akira (movie)...

boogalah

Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Speed Racer for me, that's definitely the first anime I can remember watching back in the 90s when they ran it on Cartoon Network all the time. I even videotaped one of the marathons they ran and bought the Speed Racer movie (which was really just 2 long episodes with some stupid short cartoons thrown in for intermission). Though I lost the marathon I recorded, I still have the movie around here somewhere.

Boogeyman

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, , Carer
Dragon, dragon, dragon, dragon dragon, Dragon ball Z! I even got the entire theme song right.

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent,
Let's see... I remember Voltron and Robotech. Man I miss both of those shows.

Does Thundercats count? Was that anime or was it one of the last good American cartoons? How about the original Transformers?

Vladimir

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Dragon Ball.

I'm watching the series right now. xD
By the way, the French opening song is completely retarded.

And diaperdude, Dragon Ball Z came after Dragon Ball. >_>

the0silent0alchemist

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
mm. transformers, and this one called 'fighting machines' and speed racer, pokemon didnt come till a fair bit later

RevLegna

Contributor
Role
Astroyboy is a given, and dragonball z was always popular, but hrm.....

Outlaw Star was the one that got me hooked, One of the best anime's that got tooken off before it's time

Status
Not open for further replies.