Older children on diaper packages

PaciL0ver

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
I notice that the largest diaper sizes sometimes show images of striking old children who may already go to elementary school.
Compare the images of the "Beauty Baby" packaging (from the German brand Müller) with the packaging from Pampers:
08lwn2c

The children look remarkably older on the "Beauty Baby" packaging. Size 7 has a child of about 7-8-9 years as a photo, with Pampers that is a child of about 4-5 years.

Do you have any striking examples of older children on diaper packaging?

well the jounior sized diapers are made for kids aged 4-8 so it doesn't strike me at all and pampers size 7s are made for 7-9

I recall little swimmers of the late 90s/early 2000s having an older girl (maybe 4-5 yrs old) on the package. I always begged my mom to let me wear one because she got to

nezquic66 said:
I recall little swimmers of the late 90s/early 2000s having an older girl (maybe 4-5 yrs old) on the package. I always begged my mom to let me wear one because she got to
lol what size range is size 8

Wow!

I remember as a child in the late 80s and early 90s that seeing older looking children on nappy packaging would invoke the strongest feelings of jealousy and longing in me.

I remember that continental European packaging would often have older looking children on them, but it was when I saw the first DryNites 7-10+ in the UK that had kids who appeared to be around my age that really thrilled me.

I wonder if packaging like this has the same effect on today’s generation?

It was an image of a girl of around my age wearing a nappy that I saw in either a leaflet or a print ad at age 4 that set me off in the first place.

Images can have very powerful effects!

There were some Aldi Mamia in Australia that had much older kids on the packaging, apparently. Did these really exist or was it some fantasist’s cut and paste job?

I wonder if it's because the larger size diapers are also geared for older elementary school kids, that while most are potty trained, some still might have accidents. After all, adults are potty trained, but some of us still have accidents for whatever reasons.

I wish they put pictures of attractive young women on adult nappy packages ;)

Reactions: Aspie69
Are the sizes the same?

I mean does, for instance, Beauty-Baby S5 equal Pampers S5.

It's probably just generic images of the children of people who work in the marketing department. If you're going to put a little kid on there and someone who works in the marketing/packaging design department has a kid that's roughly the right age they'll just slap them on there. Alternatively it could be because sizes often overlap ages (Every child is different) and they want to represent that it's a larger size as opposed to just putting another generic 2 year old all of the sizes 3+

So it's likely just part of the marketing. "Look its an older kid than on the previous size so it means it's bigger!" more or less. I wouldn't read too much into it.

The general interest of a company that sells diapers should be to get as many people wearing diapers as possible. However, due to negative receptions of older people wearing diapers for any reason, they don't tread into those regions. And here, we see two opposing ideas about how to go about that stigma.

I'm trying to consider which one would promote older kids wearing diapers for longer, but I can't quite pin it down.

You see a younger kid on the package and might think that it is par for the course that your little one is still wearing them. Or your visibly older kid is becoming too old for them based on the difference in age between your kid and the one on the package.

The older kid on the package might promote an earlier training because you see it and go "that kid is way too old to be in diapers", and then realize that you are buying them for your kid. Or, in complacency, you see the older kid on the packaging compares to your younger kid and makes you think it's perfectly fine that s/he's still in diapers.

Can't pin that one down.

Reactions: Aspie69
Nyreal said:
The general interest of a company that sells diapers should be to get as many people wearing diapers as possible. However, due to negative receptions of older people wearing diapers for any reason, they don't tread into those regions. And here, we see two opposing ideas about how to go about that stigma.

I'm trying to consider which one would promote older kids wearing diapers for longer, but I can't quite pin it down.

You see a younger kid on the package and might think that it is par for the course that your little one is still wearing them. Or your visibly older kid is becoming too old for them based on the difference in age between your kid and the one on the package.

The older kid on the package might promote an earlier training because you see it and go "that kid is way too old to be in diapers", and then realize that you are buying them for your kid. Or, in complacency, you see the older kid on the packaging compares to your younger kid and makes you think it's perfectly fine that s/he's still in diapers.

Can't pin that one down.

That's a good point. It probably goes both ways, but then again, the diaper companies know that even if a parent feels like they need to step up potty-training, they're likely to pick up a package of pull-ups that they manufacture, so they'll still have their money.

My oldest was in diapers 24/7 until 2 months before his 5th birthday. He wore them during the day on long drives or when we were places where getting to a toilet right away may not have been possible past the age of 7 because otherwise an accident *would* happen for sure.. He still wears a pullup diaper to sleep and has never been dry at night a day in his life. My point being, I bought a lot of diapers, and a lot of size 6...maybe even size 7 diapers. For me, I knew the kid on the package was likely a stock photo, but it sort of made me feel better that it was "okay" that he was struggling with this issue despite us trying anything and everything for years to get him trained. You just get to the point where you realize it won't happen until they want to do it, and until that time, a diaper is just easier. Honestly,what made me feel even better than that though was that size 6 & 7 diapers were always the ones that seemed to sell out the fastest, and sometimes I'd have to go to more than one store to find them. Made me realize there were lots of older kids (probably not 5, but older) wearing them. You really don't pay too much attention to the pictures of the kid on the box.

What always made me feel terrible and like a failure as a parent was changing him in public and getting judgmental looks from other parents, where you doubt yourself all over again and wonder why you can't get your child to use the bathroom. I never felt that way looking at the package.

All the children on the German brand look like they're old enough to be in school, even on the size 5s. The Pampers ones I'd say size 7 looks like he's about 4 and the girl on size 8 maybe 6 or 7.

Spidermanbatman said:
That's a good point. It probably goes both ways, but then again, the diaper companies know that even if a parent feels like they need to step up potty-training, they're likely to pick up a package of pull-ups that they manufacture, so they'll still have their money.

My oldest was in diapers 24/7 until 2 months before his 5th birthday. He wore them during the day on long drives or when we were places where getting to a toilet right away may not have been possible past the age of 7 because otherwise an accident *would* happen for sure.. He still wears a pullup diaper to sleep and has never been dry at night a day in his life. My point being, I bought a lot of diapers, and a lot of size 6...maybe even size 7 diapers. For me, I knew the kid on the package was likely a stock photo, but it sort of made me feel better that it was "okay" that he was struggling with this issue despite us trying anything and everything for years to get him trained. You just get to the point where you realize it won't happen until they want to do it, and until that time, a diaper is just easier. Honestly,what made me feel even better than that though was that size 6 & 7 diapers were always the ones that seemed to sell out the fastest, and sometimes I'd have to go to more than one store to find them. Made me realize there were lots of older kids (probably not 5, but older) wearing them. You really don't pay too much attention to the pictures of the kid on the box.

What always made me feel terrible and like a failure as a parent was changing him in public and getting judgmental looks from other parents, where you doubt yourself all over again and wonder why you can't get your child to use the bathroom. I never felt that way looking at the package.

Sorry that you get those ugly looks from other parents. They need to mind their own business.
Adults like to say that kids are mean and will ridicule other kids wearing diapers, but I think it's
more like adults being mean.

Reactions: CookieMonstah and Spidermanbatman
12srepaid said:
Sorry that you get those ugly looks from other parents. They need to mind their own business.
Adults like to say that kids are mean and will ridicule other kids wearing diapers, but I think it's
more like adults being mean.

Thanks. Parenting is ridiculously competitive, and it shouldn't be. But parents cannot help but compare their child to others when it comes to development -who is talking, walking, learning their numbers, etc. faster than anyone else. And society largely feels that "diapers are for babies" so if your child is 3+ and still wearing diapers, you're going to get some looks and some questions.

littlekyro said:
lol what size range is size 8
The Pampers Baby Dry 8 can only be used if the person has a hip circumference from 55 cm. This can be worn in a normal way until this person has a hip circumference of 65 cm. If you pre-stretch the side cuffs, these diapers can handle a hip circumference of 96.5 cm.

Below is a table that makes clear to what age these diapers can be worn:
0kxosve

Some manufacturers use very flexible materials in the side cuffs. Some diapers thus offer an enormous elasticity, even beyond the recommended range.
Minimal scope - Recommended scope (red):
A diaper is limited due to the size in their usability. A size 6 diaper will not normally fit a 12 month old baby. The minimum amount indicates when a diaper can be used. At this circumference, the cuffs are stretched only slightly, so that the diaper just barely fits.

Up to the recommended hip size, the diaper fits perfectly. She is not too tight and does not pinch.The margin between minimum and recommended scope is the optimal range of use.
Maximum scope (blue):
To the maximum extent, the fit gets worse and worse. At the maximum extent, the diaper can barely be closed. The cuffs then only withstand the loads for a short time. This value shows how stretchy the cuffs are and that a diaper can be used in larger sizes if necessary.
Whether the diaper still fits well with larger sizes is also heavily dependent on the stature of the child.The maximum hip size of diapers is just a guide. Individual factors additionally influence the fit. These include especially the height and leg circumference.

The source of this data is bestewindel.com. This has been translated into English for you. (Source: here)

Osthagen said:
Are the sizes the same?

I mean does, for instance, Beauty-Baby S5 equal Pampers S5.
I only have the figures from Pampers size 6 and a Beauty Baby size 6. Pampers can handle a noticeably larger hip circumference compared to Beauty Baby. Moreover, the side cuffs from Pampers are much more elastic, with the result that a much larger age group can wear these diapers in this size.
nezquic66 said:
Can you find images of that package?

Last edited:
Given age 17 is pretty much fully grown, that suggests at least half of adults could wear them at a stretch!

Back