Old school thrash metal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Point

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
You call that old-school? Try the arrangements Bloch wrote. He didn't write any for this type of music so ha.

Thallis

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Sissy
Megadeth > Metallica. All you need to know.

Lil Snap

Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Other
Megadeth > Metallica. All you need to know.

pft, what EVER!

Dave Mustaine got booted for a reason. He Suxorz!

j/k for real, I like Megadeth but Metallica (umm, pre-sucky St. Anger and Death Magnetic) is the altar of the church of metal :punk:

Silikon

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
I have Anthrax's Persistence of time album (Got the time is a classic) and Slayer's Reign in blood album (I think im gonna get God hates us all and Seasons in the abyss next) on my mp3 player.

I also got Death Magnetic, which is a damn good album (I love The Unforgiven III and My Apocalypse).

Lil Snap: St. Anger isn't as bad as everyone says IMO. The only gripe I have with it is the vocals, but I like its raw sound and Lar's snare is pretty cool (even though all you really do is turn the snare off lol). Death Magnetic is definitely a step in the right direction to their roots though.

Megadeth is alright, they're definitely not as hard as the other 3 of the big 4 though.

Silikon

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
Lol, wut? Good Mourning / Black Friday. That's as hard as it gets.

I mean overall, not just a select few songs.

Then again I don't know as much about Megadeth as I do the others so take that with a grain of salt.

EDIT: Yeah that song is pretty damn heavy but I still have yet to hear anything harder than the Reign in blood album. I actually like that song though, might listen to some more Megadeth now lol.

Ultima

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
I'm personally glad that they kicked Dave Mustaine out. I'm not here to say Metallica sucks, because they don't, but I definitely think that Megadeth is a better band. Metallica is a pretty easy sound to mimic, the playing style, vocals and all. But Megadeth is a very unique band. I have yet to find a band that sounds like them. A lot of people are put off by Megadeth's vocals, but I like them. I see Megadeth as a breath of fresh air to the hard rock/metal universe.

rushfan

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Carer
PanterA is the greatest thrash metal band. i have yet to find a band that can do metal better than them. R.I.P "dimebag" Darrell Abbot

Metallica was good up until load. then it just changed it started to sound like everything else out there. I think if cliff were still alive he would disaprove of the way the band is going.

megadeath and slayer I have listend to them but not enough to build a good enough opinon on them

Thallis

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Sissy
PanterA is the greatest thrash metal band. i have yet to find a band that can do metal better than them. R.I.P "dimebag" Darrell Abbot

Metallica was good up until load. then it just changed it started to sound like everything else out there. I think if cliff were still alive he would disaprove of the way the band is going.

megadeath and slayer I have listend to them but not enough to build a good enough opinon on them

Pantera is Groove Metal, not Thrash.

Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Dave Mustaine got booted for a reason. He Suxorz!

j/k for real, I like Megadeth but Metallica (umm, pre-sucky St. Anger and Death Magnetic)
Dave Mustaine basically gave Metallica the idea for the first album, but his drug overdose and attitude weren't a fit for the band's roster, so then again, he doesn't suck as much, if his drug situation went otherwise, he could still be in the band, IMO.

St. Anger was just an attempt of evolution from the band, the new wave was invading the music industry so Metallica didn't want to sink in that, so they try a new option, just exactly what most of the "old-school" bands do. Personally, I liked St. Anger because I'm not thinking of the old Metallica while listening such album, I'm thinking of "Raw", although I'm not saying St. Anger is as good as Ride the lightning, And Justice for all or even the legendary but underrated Kill 'em all.

And Death Magnetic wasn't as bad, in fact, I liked it even more than both Load and Reload, but this my friend, does fall in the hole of "preferences" =).

On-topic: I really like old-schoolish thrash, such as Motorhead, old Megadeth, old Anthrax and Pantera (although Pantera was somewhat more "Heavy").

Last edited:

Lil Snap

Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Other
St. Anger was just an attempt of evolution from the band, the new wave was invading the music industry so Metallica didn't want to sink in that, so they try a new option, just exactly what most of the "old-school" bands do. Personally, I liked St. Anger because I'm not thinking of the old Metallica while listening such album, I'm thinking of "Raw", although I'm not saying St. Anger is as good as Ride the lightning, And Justice for all or even the legendary but underrated Kill 'em all.

My opinion is that the mixing on the newer recordings is biased to emphasize "Lars" and "James" to the point of excluding Kirk and Robert. I think it is an ego trip on their parts that is damaging the overall sound of the band. James is clearly not the crooner that he seems to think he is now. Earlier recordings show a balance in the production that is missing now.

And Death Magnetic wasn't as bad, in fact, I liked it even more than both Load and Reload, but this my friend, does fall in the hole of "preferences" =).

The fact that you make that distinction says it all!

Oh, and one of my favorite Megadeth songs has to be Sweating Bullets. I really think the unique sound that they have created would not have appeared had he not been excommunicated from Metallica.

MetalHeadTiffany

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Sissy
Last edited:
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
My opinion is that the mixing on the newer recordings is biased to emphasize "Lars" and "James" to the point of excluding Kirk and Robert. I think it is an ego trip on their parts that is damaging the overall sound of the band. James is clearly not the crooner that he seems to think he is now. Earlier recordings show a balance in the production that is missing now.
Agreed, which is a minor cause of Jason's departure. However, I do believe that they partially changed that in Death Magnetic.

The fact that you make that distinction says it all!
Care to explain?

Lil Snap

Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Other
Care to explain?

After I listened to Death Magnetic, (a friends copy) I decided that it was bad (Lars' drums still sound like *hit, James vocals are still overbearing, no songs that jump out and grabs me at all) to the point that I wasn't going to waste my money on it.

You said that Death Magnetic wasn't as bad, indicating to me that you might think that it is bad, just not as bad as St. Anger.

Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
So bad Metallica didnt give Mustaine a second chance, it was just GTFO of our band instead of if you dont cool down with the drugs you will get kicked. but maybe it was for the best because otherwise we wouldnt have Megadeth

I totally agree with you Thallis Megadeth > Metallica. All you need to know! ^^

Anthrax is also pretty good! they have made some good records, havent heard all though but some of em.

Status
Not open for further replies.