old school game emulators?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayjay213

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
who uses them and what are your thoughts on them?
personally i have several on my mac, sixtyforce, psx, fusion, and i think they deserve more respect then they get i mean its not the authentic way of say playing a game like mario kart or metal gear solid but to me it eliminates the need for pricey imported games and alot of different cords and space taken up by consoles and with a decent controller i think it can be a pretty accurate representation of the real thing.

jcrowley1985

Banned
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
I have pretty much all hardware from all 80s and 90s systems (including an original Odyssey and Vectrex, the crown jewels of my collection). So if I can I try to play on original hardware. If I can't find a particular game or find a way to play it via flashcart or burned disc, I will use emulators. Although they don't all work 100%; N64 for example is a very picky system to emulate.

spdyturtle11

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Diaperfur
I will never get rid of my N64. I do emulate some of favortites from NES and SNES though.

jayjay213

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
I have pretty much all hardware from all 80s and 90s systems (including an original Odyssey and Vectrex, the crown jewels of my collection). So if I can I try to play on original hardware. If I can't find a particular game or find a way to play it via flashcart or burned disc, I will use emulators. Although they don't all work 100%; N64 for example is a very picky system to emulate.

i've found that especially true when playing certan games on n64 emulators certan games for example goldeneye will glitch some of the time but when the do it happens so badly they're almost unplayable and so far i havnt found a way around it. which is a real shame because i love that game *pouts*

jcrowley1985

Banned
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
i've found that especially true when playing certan games on n64 emulators certan games for example goldeneye will glitch some of the time but when the do it happens so badly they're almost unplayable and so far i havnt found a way around it. which is a real shame because i love that game *pouts*

Just shows how awesome the N64 is. Over 15 years old and still hard to emulate on modern pcs.

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
Just shows how awesome the N64 is. Over 15 years old and still hard to emulate on modern pcs.

That would be like me whining that N64 cant play Crysis 3 at 60 gps.

It only shows how different their architectures are. Not that one is better then the other at playing games.

Zachie

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
I usually just run Dolphin to play Melee when I don't have my Gamecube. I used to have ZSNES and Desmume installed, but I played through everything I wanted to on those platforms. I do try to run things on their original hardware if I can, but if it's not available (for example, most of the Earthbound series) I'll go ahead and emulate.

jcrowley1985

Banned
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
I usually just run Dolphin to play Melee when I don't have my Gamecube. I used to have ZSNES and Desmume installed, but I played through everything I wanted to on those platforms. I do try to run things on their original hardware if I can, but if it's not available (for example, most of the Earthbound series) I'll go ahead and emulate.

Is Earthbound for the Snes still going for $100+ on ebay? It's rediculous how much people charge for susposedly "rare" games that are not rare. The NES megaman games are the same.

Zachie

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
Is Earthbound for the Snes still going for $100+ on ebay? It's rediculous how much people charge for susposedly "rare" games that are not rare. The NES megaman games are the same.

Looks to be around $150 on average for ebay. There are people trying to get away with nearly $20k on amazon

jcrowley1985

Banned
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
Looks to be around $150 on average for ebay. There are people trying to get away with nearly $20k on amazon

That's insane as you can buy an Everdrive for that price and load all the snes roms on it. And unlike emulators, still play on origional hardware.

My personal take on game collecting is I collect hardware, I can always find ways to play the games without paying insane prices for them. Someday I may post pics of my collection.

Hobbes

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
While I haven't played GoldenEye on an emulator, I can assure you that because their goal is to play as many games as possible with the highest reasonable fidelity, emulator programmers implement community hacks and obvious shortcuts to make things run smooth. Only a handful of emulators for ancient systems (ie: SNES era and earlier) actually claim to be working toward absolute bit for bit accuracy of execution, and their game compatibility levels tend to lag behind the glitchy, hacky, more mainstream emulators.

I've had few problems running N64 games in emulators, though I'll admit I spend most of my N64 time playing silly Mario Kart and other similar games. All of the games I have played on the Project64 emulator dating back to PC's from the early to mid 2000's all ran them perfectly without issue. If there are glitches, it's due to the strange API, the obscure processor and the fact that most of the games that people really want to revisit are already working perfectly. Emulator programmers burn out notoriously quickly, due to the complexity of their work.

That being said, after years of wishing, I've finally seen PS2 games working with reasonable fidelity on my system - I hadn't tried PXSX2 in a year or two and my previous CPU was vastly inferior to this Core i5. GT3 and especially 4 work pretty darn good, all things considered.

I'm definitely a fan of emulators, though I have great respect for the original hardware - I just don't have any anymore, aside from this Wii that I need to hook back up. I think there are few popular systems I haven't enjoyed an emulator for - I think I did fail to get an old Vectrex emulator/simulator working years ago though, and perhaps the later Sega Consoles (Saturn and Dreamcast)

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
That's insane as you can buy an Everdrive for that price and load all the snes roms on it. And unlike emulators, still play on origional hardware.

My personal take on game collecting is I collect hardware, I can always find ways to play the games without paying insane prices for them. Someday I may post pics of my collection.

Some people perfer owning real copies. Also as a fellow Vectrex owner you don't have any desire to obtain real games for it or the overlays? It would be pretty hard top emulate them as you can't emulate a vector screen or whatever specialized hardware the screen employs over the CRT.

jcrowley1985

Banned
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
Some people perfer owning real copies. Also as a fellow Vectrex owner you don't have any desire to obtain real games for it or the overlays? It would be pretty hard top emulate them as you can't emulate a vector screen or whatever specialized hardware the screen employs over the CRT.

Vectrex computer computers emulators emulation games downloads games reviews
This guy has Vectrex multicarts with all the retail games and some homebrew on one cartridge. I didn't buy one yet, but probably will soon (the built in minestorm is getting old). 35 pounds or about $50 usd with included worldwide shipping. The only drawback is it's pcb only as he is out of the cased ones.

As for the overlays, I was thinking about printing my own out on transparency paper.

Ok, you've convinced me to break down and buy one. I'll let you know how it is when it gets here.

Last edited:

Kodachrome

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
One thing I love about my jailbroken iPod is that it allows you to download a GBA emulator for iOS. Playing Pokemon Emerald on an iPod is fantastic.

Valaia

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Sissy
  6. Little
  7. Carer
I found a site that lets you play a ton of NES and SNES games for free, no money whatsoever. Just pick a game and start playing. There's even some japanese only games.

Status
Not open for further replies.