Oh can I remember

stinkape

Don’t worry be happy
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
When I was a little boy in kindergarten they had these big hollow wooden building blocks . They seemed to be quite huge at the time all different sizes too but this was back around 1969 or 70 , schools probably don’t have them now. All of the little boys loved playing and building forts with them . I was never to good at socializing though .

Anyone else have memories of their favorite kindergarten toys at school?

I think you are on about these, My local nursery/preschool has them still out in the garden.

Reactions: stinkape
Cool , they were awesome .
I just figured they would be gone like so many other things from back then , deemed to be to dangerous , little Johnny could get a splinter, hit in the head by a falling block or fall off one .
Kids don’t get to experience some of the cool stuff we did like Lawn Darts and Clackers . LOL. Oh well perhaps small Spears and glass balls swinging violently into each other wasn’t well thought out but they where fun as long as you didn’t get hurt.

stinkape said:
I just figured they would be gone like so many other things from back then , deemed to be to dangerous , little Johnny could get a splinter, hit in the head by a falling block or fall off one .
Kids don’t get to experience some of the cool stuff we did like Lawn Darts and Clackers . LOL. Oh well perhaps small Spears and glass balls swinging violently into each other wasn’t well thought out but they where fun as long as you didn’t get hurt.
These blocks are still available at Walmart. Still in the round tubular canister too.
Weird. I started kindergarten in "71" and I too wasn't good at socializing. I always seemed to be in a corner by myself.

stinkape said:
Well I don't know what it's like in the rest of the world but over here in the UK most nurseries actually encourage children to take "moderated risks" basically let the try and do things that may be dangerous as long as you are able to reduce the risk to a level where injury is highly unlikely and if it does happen would be superficial.

For example the nursery that has those big blocks (which almost look like pieces of pallets) also has a woodwork station in their preschool room (3-4 year olds) with actual vices, hammers, drills (hand crack and battery) screwdrivers, saws, files/rasps, nailbars, and chisels. fully sharp and usable for the children to create with. They also encourage children to prepare their own snacks giving them knives to cut fruit and veg. Among other risky things.

We also have a thing called Forrest School over here which schools and nurseries can run (if there is a trained member of staff or local organiser) where children are taken out into a local wood to explore all manner of things in a natural environment (including climbing trees, building swings, cooking on an open fire etc.)

I only have memories of those little red padded chairs and sitting around the piano. I am sure there was more, but first grade is more memorable.

Sitting around a circle Indian style , singing This Old Man, One Little Indian and more.

I don’t think of those days often but it’s nice to go back and remember the early years . It often takes someone else’s memories to spark those of my own .

I remember wondering why I couldn't play on the "girls side" with its pretend kitchen. Kindergarten, circa 1962, Seattle 'burbs

I think I did a couple of times when the boys wouldn’t let me play with them . Hell I didn’t much care , all I had at home was 2 older sisters to play with and we always played House together.

Reactions: PaigeCherubiel
I didn’t play with those hollow blocks. The ones I played with were solid wood blocks back in late ‘70s to early ‘80s.

I use to love playing with anything you could build or make something with and loved anything motion related , cars, trucks , electric train sets , Hot wheels , slot car tracks .
Good times there folks . Still have a slot car track I bought my daughter when she was little as well as a really cool Holiday Express train set we purchased from Sams years ago when our children were small . I’m just hanging on to them for when my daughter might possibly give us some grandkids.

I was in Kindergarten in 1964-1965. I don't remember any specific toy, but I remember having paste in a plastic elephant head container. Pretty sure that myself and others may have eaten some of that paste. I was small for my age and got teased by bigger kids so was not very social. They wanted to have me repeat Kindergarten so that I would gain confidence I guess, but my parents fought that and I went on to first grade at another school and liked it much better.

Reactions: ArchtopK and stinkape
Straycatz said:
I was in Kindergarten in 1964-1965. I don't remember any specific toy, but I remember having paste in a plastic elephant head container. Pretty sure that myself and others may have eaten some of that paste. I was small for my age and got teased by bigger kids so was not very social. They wanted to have me repeat Kindergarten so that I would gain confidence I guess, but my parents fought that and I went on to first grade at another school and liked it much better.
I can definitely relate to your story , while I wasn’t small for my age I had learning problems, wasn’t very social , and ate my fair share of past and 🍊 crayons .
I lost a year in between 1st and 2nd grade and spent I can’t remember how many summers at summer school.
I did manage to get back on track and go through 2nd grade but by then the secret was out that I had had learning disabilities earlier on so was called retard quite often by neighborhood children .

stinkape said:
I can definitely relate to your story , while I wasn’t small for my age I had learning problems, wasn’t very social , and ate my fair share of past and 🍊 crayons .
I lost a year in between 1st and 2nd grade and spent I can’t remember how many summers at summer school.
I did manage to get back on track and go through 2nd grade but by then the secret was out that I had had learning disabilities earlier on so was called retard quite often by neighborhood children .
That is so mean. I was friends later with a boy who wore leg braces and used crutches. I could relate to him as I was usually excluded from things like he was. Children could be so mean. They never called it "bullying" then. They do much better now I think.

They used to have a playground and like to go play over there after lunch. I was also not socializing too. I started kindergarten over 20 years ago.

Last edited:
Blocks are probably considered weapons now days. 🤬

LittleAndAlone said:
Blocks are probably considered weapons now days. 🤬
Probably. And watch out for those Pop Tarts!

In the 80s, one of my childhood friends had a set of these Giant Tinkertoys. They were so much fun! I think he might've had a couple of sets, because it seemed like we could never run out. The whole back lawn of his house would be covered with our creations.

(Not my picture. Grabbed this from eBay.)
s-l1600-2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Patricia48 and stinkape
Back in the dark ages, well the 1960s, I had a lovely block n-dowel construction set. I think it may have been Danish and called 'connect-a-set'. I'm pretty sure it was beech. The blocks all had holes centred on each face, each edge and each corner. The dowels were probably about 12" (30cm) long and there were also some wheels. It came in a neat wooden box. Kept me occupied for hours. Sadly it disappeared from the attic at my parents house yet they swear they didn't sell it or give it away.

Cottontail said:
Probably. And watch out for those Pop Tarts!

In the 80s, one of my childhood friends had a set of these Giant Tinkertoys. They were so much fun! I think he might've had a couple of sets, because it seemed like we could never run out. The whole back lawn of his house would be covered with our creations.

(Not my picture. Grabbed this from eBay.)
View attachment 114685
I vaguely remember having actual wooden tinker toys as a little little kid. Probably because they were cheap and parent nostalgia as they were pretty obsolete already. Most of them ended up broken from being used in everything *but* making tinker toys. They were eventually mostly just toy box flotsam.

I'm sure I broke some on purpose crashing cars into them. Or was it Transformers breaking utility poles to impale each other with? 😊 Or just stepping on them in the carpet in the dark; far more forgiving than LEGO.

Last edited:
Never had tinker toys , legos or an erector set alway wanted them though , they were the gifts that kept making more .
Oh well I had plenty to play with and play I did .
Outside play in the summer time was the best , we would play sometimes till 10:00 pm .
Get up in the morning ride bikes play baseball go home around 3 in the afternoon for Gillian’s island , Brady bunch and cartoons . Then back out as soon as we ate dinner if not before . We would roam the block, park and ball diamond bleachers looking for pop bottles. A nickel to 20 cent a pop for the big ones . Then it was off to the candy store for an Icy and candy . I can still remember the sweet aroma of that little store . An old women ran it and if she thought you’d been in her store to much in a day she’d run you off till the next . All the candy was sold behind a big glass counter , to many little thieves in that neighborhood but she always traded fair with us . She must of just liked us kids .

Good days back then.

Reactions: Hoksiyopa and jamiejamie
Back