Suggestion Off topic and Mature topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxToddler

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
What the difference betwen "Off-Topic" and "Mature Topic ?
I see that mature topic is the forum to discuss things that need to be very thoughtfulness. but there are some thread in off-topic that need to be thoughtfulness too.

This will confuse the new members who recently joined.
So what's the difference ?

Trevor

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
I never cared for Mature Topics for just that reason. We started with only Off-topic and that seems like it should be enough. It seems like it sets a strange precedent that one part of the forum is supposed to demand better behavior than others, as if one can safely be a jerk in Off-topic. In any event, I think it's just a matter of personal thread poster preference most of the time but the strong tendency is for weighty matters to appear in Mature Topics and things that are less significant wind up in Off-topic.

MaxToddler

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
Well
I think this better like this,

The forum "Mature topics" just moved into a sub-forum of "Off-topic" and "Off-topic" name change to be "Grow up topics" that discusses real life as usual.
Example: Games and computer topics, Mature topics, Health topics, etc..

I think it's better like that, so it can leave room for other discussion topics which will be made at a later time.

Thanks
Max

Trevor

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
Well
I think this better like this,

The forum "Mature topics" just moved into a sub-forum of "Off-topic" and "Off-topic" name change to be "Grow up topics" that discusses real life as usual.
Example: Games and computer topics, Mature topics, Health topics, etc..

I think it's better like that, so it can leave room for other discussion topics which will be made at a later time.

Thanks
Max

It'd be cute and all but Forum Fun is anything but grown-up and there's nothing intrinsically grown-up even about regular old Off-topic. It would make more sense to me to situate Mature Topics beneath the umbrella of Off-topic but seeing as how we got along without Mature Topics for years just fine, I find it unnecessary overall.

tiny

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
I think the "Mature Topics" section is for sensitive issues... like politics, religion, civil rights, morality, philosophy, etc. Whereas "Off Topic" is for non-sensitive things that don't relate to AB/DL. There's definitely some overlap, though.

I think it's a relic of the past when under-18s were allowed to join the forum. The "Mature Topics" forum was restricted to over-18s, so any adult topics (sex, relationships, etc.) might have been discussed there. Maybe it's not really needed any more...?

I think there's often no right answer as to which forum you post in. If you want muffin recipes, try "Off Topic"; if you want to talk about prostitution or murder, try "Mature Topic". :p

HoganBunny

ADISC Moderator
Staff
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Babyfur
  3. Little
I think the "Mature Topics" section is for sensitive issues... like politics, religion, civil rights, morality, philosophy, etc. Whereas "Off Topic" is for non-sensitive things that don't relate to AB/DL. There's definitely some overlap, though.

I think it's a relic of the past when under-18s were allowed to join the forum. The "Mature Topics" forum was restricted to over-18s, so any adult topics (sex, relationships, etc.) might have been discussed there. Maybe it's not really needed any more...?

The Mature Topics forum was not restricted to over 18s when under-18s were allowed.

M

Maxx

I see it as being about expectations. You like to have some kind of idea what you're getting into before you click and find something that can't be unseen.

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
  1. Private
The difference:
- Off-topic covered anything not related to our forum's nice.
- Mature Topics is about major political, religious, or cultural events. Stuff that is serious and demands much thought. It isn't, and has never been, an "adult" forum. Instead, it is exactly what the title implies: a forum for topics that require careful thought. Though, equally, I wouldn't be opposed to merging it with off topic.

If you'd like me to do that, speak up.

Status
Not open for further replies.