Obama - Biden '08

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

daria7483

I don't think this really needs to be in the "mature topics" section, but that's okay.

I guess I need to do some more homework, because I don't know much about Biden. I was a little disappointed Obama didn't choose Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine, although I don't think that would have been the best thing for the commonwealth. Kaine has the same lack of foreign policy experience as Obama, though, so it makes sense that he wasn't chosen.

Biden seems fine from what little I know of him, but I wonder if/how he's going to get Obama any votes.

d4l

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Other
I don't think this really needs to be in the "mature topics" section, but that's okay.
Mature Topics Description said:
This Mature Topics forum is for the discussion of mature topics such as drugs, guns, sex, marriage, rock'n'roll, politics, and other serious stuff.
This forum contains debates, and discussions of sensitive issues that mean you should be tactful and thoughtful when posting here. It used to be called the Adult Baby forum, but a new forum has been created with that name, so this was renamed back to Mature Topics

Now to obama's running mate, never really heard of him so i don't care. I don't know how this going to help/hurt his chances of president though.

Jaiden

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
All I really know about him is that he once plagiarised one of Neil Kinnock's speeches a few years ago. Don't know how much of an issue that is in the states as I doubt very many people know who Neil Kinnock is, but it's a silly thing to think you can get away with considering how close Kinnock was with the Democrats at the time.

It makes sense as a pick though - an old, white guy ticks a few demographic boxes that Obama isn't all that strong in, he's got foreign policy experience, which Obama is always accused of lacking and he's innocuous enough to not detract or distract from the whole Obamamania hope, change and renewal bit. I think the text message reveal is a clever move as well, let's his supporters feel in the loop, involved, valued and all that.

All in all, a reasonable choice but I doubt it will have a huge influence on the campaign.

MysteriousVisitor

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I don't like it. The only thing positive he brings on is his race. He is a long time senator (I love how Obama introduced him- "He's been changing washington for 30 years") and someone on the left wing of his party. He is Pro-PATRIOT Act, Anti Second Amendment, and generally hurts the Obama campaign, I think.

If only Bill Richardson was white *sigh*

ayanna

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
Is it just me...or do other people see it, too?

Everytime I see Obama - Biden...my mind somehow transforms it into Osama bin Laden.

Weird but true!

thebear687

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover,
Who gives a crap what obama or mccain do they both suck ass. Ron Paul the only one that is worthy to become president.

ballucanb

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
He just shot himself in the foot, they are too many Hillery fans out there to piss off, he could have assured his presidency by picking Hillery.

Well say Hello to your next president John Mc Cain

Jewbacca

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
Hillary is a horrible choice, she'd only appear to upstage him, plus there's the whole she's flippin' crazy. Biden's a good choice helps lure all those people worried about Obama's freshness.

Edit: but I agree with sparky, Bill Richardson would've been a good choice as well.

satyrical

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
Biden has all the experience of McCain. He brings foreign-policy experience. It's an overall good choice.

As for McCain, he now has to respond with a good VP... and he has a lot of strong choices...

Footed P.J.

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover
He just shot himself in the foot, they are too many Hillery fans out there to piss off, he could have assured his presidency by picking Hillery.

Well say Hello to your next president John Mc Cain
Well, I got the impression Hillary never much wanted it. I don't see much friendship being reciprocated by her.

Herbiec

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover
Obama is like a snake oil salesman who says he has a product that will cure all of your ills. We need someone who is tough, fair, ready to stop the illegals, and will not use the White House as a dating center.

Reactions: mm3

ballucanb

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Hillery has 18 million votes behind her, and come election day alot of hillery supporters are going to vote for McCain, what he did is politcal suicide, and he deserves what he gets.

Every presidential candidate promises stuff he can or will never do, and this one is no different.

Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I guess im kinda stereotyping here, but I think 99.99% of Politicians here are crooks/liars. Otherwise yea idk why Obama picked this guy but I can't stand the thought of John McCain in office. I don't like living in a democratic republic, we need a actual democracy.

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent,
Personally... I think it's a good conservative play by Obama. He knows his own weaknesses (experience and foreign policy) so he picked a man who is very strong in those areas to help balance out his ticket. I don't know much about Biden... but from what I've read he seems like he'd do a good job.

The thing that concerns me about Obama is his ideas for changing taxes. I do realise that our economy is in the hole and that the money to prop it back up has to come from somewhere... but I do not support an inheritance tax, an increased profits tax from real estate sales, and I especially hate the idea of higher taxes for small businesses. The people of America are not responcible for the sorry state of our economy... and we should not be made to pay the price of its recovery. If you want to tax someone... tax that sorry ass GW Bush and all his cronies... they're raking in millions.

Many farms and locally owned and operated shops and stores are passed down from father to son, and have been for generations. Why should these people have to save up thousands of dollars to pay the government just so they can keep working in the business that they have been their entire lives?

The real estate market is screwed up enough as it is... people all around this nation are trying to downsize and get into a house that they can afford... if they are able to make a profit on selling their larger home why does big brother up in washington need to have his greedy paws in it?

Finally, small and medium businesses employ the vast majority of workers in this country. They generally offer better hours, higher pay, and superior benefits than the large conglomerate companies like McDonalds or Wal-mart. If the government starts taking more taxes from these businesses... that's just going to be less money going into my pocket... something I am not in favor of at all.

Overall I am very nervous about these upcoming elections. McCain is a greedy warmongering conservative who is in cahoots with big oil just like his buddy W. Obama is a voice of change... but I think some of his policies may be too radical, and could hurt us badly in the long run. This nation is coming to a crossroads... one road leads straight to a bottomless abyss of financial ruin, the other leads to survival. With McCain I know that we will see more of the same things that we have seen these last 8 years. It was bad... but we have survived it. With Obama... I just don't know. I see a big question mark in his corner.

Things need to change... and that's a fact. But change for the worse could spell disaster.

mm3

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer, Other
We need someone who is tough, fair, ready to stop the illegals, and will not use the White House as a dating center.
Honestly, I personally think Obama is full of s*%&. Why? Just look at his campaign. He comes off to me (and a lot of my family) as someone who's just trying to be different to get social fame. And, he has a few key points that remind me of Hitler x_X.

McCain, well he ain't no picnic, but I think I'd trust him enough to be in charge of the country. A lot more than Obama.

And for the geeks...

Chillhouse

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Carer
And, he has a few key points that remind me of Hitler x_X.
Heh, yeah, I've seen that too. Hitler was a very good public speaker, and he often got the crowd all riled up into a cheering frenzy. But somehow, I just can't imagine Obama killing 12 million people. Maybe it's just me...

(Does that mean every good speaker will turn out to be another Hitler?)

McCain, well he ain't no picnic, but I think I'd trust him enough to be in charge of the country. A lot more than Obama.
In my opinion, the republicans have been in office for too long and have screwed with America too much. I look at McCain, and I see the exact same ideals that Bush has. He's a hard-core religious conservative, endorsed by right-wing radicals of America. Not to mention so many politicians seem to have uncannily good relations with oil companies...

Mingus

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, , Carer
Obama is like a snake oil salesman who says he has a product that will cure all of your ills. We need someone who is tough, fair, ready to stop the illegals, and will not use the White House as a dating center.
Where do you get the idea that Obama would use the White House as a 'dating center'? What on *earth* are you talking about? And Obama isn't trying to put a panacea over on the American people, but he at least recognises that there are major problems with the economy and health care in this country. McCain just stands for more of the same policies Bush has followed. What makes you think Obama isn't tough or fair? And what makes you think McCain is any more ready to take that kind of stand on illegal immigration than Obama is? His immigration plan, which had a range of bipartisan appeal, failed to pass into law. He favoured more decent treatment and a road to legalisation for illegal immigrants. Look at more than the last two months of his campaign and you'll realise McCain has changed a number of his positions for political expediency. He is no longer the maverick, post-partisan senator he once was.

Personally... I think it's a good conservative play by Obama. He knows his own weaknesses (experience and foreign policy) so he picked a man who is very strong in those areas to help balance out his ticket. I don't know much about Biden... but from what I've read he seems like he'd do a good job.
Agreed.

The thing that concerns me about Obama is his ideas for changing taxes. I do realise that our economy is in the hole and that the money to prop it back up has to come from somewhere... but I do not support an inheritance tax, an increased profits tax from real estate sales, and I especially hate the idea of higher taxes for small businesses. The people of America are not responcible for the sorry state of our economy... and we should not be made to pay the price of its recovery. If you want to tax someone... tax that sorry ass GW Bush and all his cronies... they're raking in millions.
That's exactly what Obama's going to do. Look at his tax plans on his website, and consider this op-ed from the WSJ. It is written by Obama for America volunteers, but the numbers are truthful. It is also worth bearing mind that McCain's tax cuts will cost $320B, and cutting 'pork' and 'earmarks' get him $18B. That's a net shortfall of $302B above and beyond the deficit we're already running.

Many farms and locally owned and operated shops and stores are passed down from father to son, and have been for generations. Why should these people have to save up thousands of dollars to pay the government just so they can keep working in the business that they have been their entire lives?

The real estate market is screwed up enough as it is... people all around this nation are trying to downsize and get into a house that they can afford... if they are able to make a profit on selling their larger home why does big brother up in washington need to have his greedy paws in it?
Estate tax and capital gains tax will be reduced under Obama's plans, so most people will hang onto more money than they do now.

Finally, small and medium businesses employ the vast majority of workers in this country. They generally offer better hours, higher pay, and superior benefits than the large conglomerate companies like McDonalds or Wal-mart. If the government starts taking more taxes from these businesses... that's just going to be less money going into my pocket... something I am not in favor of at all.
You would have to earn over $200K (individually) or $250K (as a couple) to pay more in taxes under Obama's plans. McCain's plans are incredibly limited, and Obama wants to do more to help small businesses by cutting back on their taxes. The vast majority of people do better under Obama's plan. A tiny minority do better under McCain.

Overall I am very nervous about these upcoming elections. McCain is a greedy warmongering conservative who is in cahoots with big oil just like his buddy W. Obama is a voice of change... but I think some of his policies may be too radical, and could hurt us badly in the long run. This nation is coming to a crossroads... one road leads straight to a bottomless abyss of financial ruin, the other leads to survival. With McCain I know that we will see more of the same things that we have seen these last 8 years. It was bad... but we have survived it. With Obama... I just don't know. I see a big question mark in his corner.

Things need to change... and that's a fact. But change for the worse could spell disaster.
It should be clear by this time that I support Obama. I think he's not as radical as some people imagine, though. The NYT just ran a long article on his economic views, which are both more conservative and more liberal than people imagine. Obama, for all his rhetoric, is not an ideologue. He is pragmatic, fiercely intelligent, and ambitious (but no one in his position is anything less than ambitious). I think his more radical views would be tempered by office. McCain, on the other hand, would be a loose canon. He can't keep major countries straight or remember things he said a few days earlier. I have a great deal of respect for his military record, but he has no business being the leader of the free world when he forgets the difference between Shia and Sunni Muslims, or between Iran and al Qaeda.

Honestly, I personally think Obama is full of s*%&. Why? Just look at his campaign. He comes off to me (and a lot of my family) as someone who's just trying to be different to get social fame. And, he has a few key points that remind me of Hitler x_X.
Godwinned. What points? Are you thinking about the Germany speech? Provide some substance, or I'll be forced to conclude that you're full of it, and have nothing to offer to this debate. Social fame? What on earth are you talking about? He's ambitious. He wants political power. He's not running for president for social fame. Look at his record working in Chicago--he's been in grassroots politics his whole life.

McCain, well he ain't no picnic,
Darn tooting.

but I think I'd trust him enough to be in charge of the country. A lot more than Obama.
Why? What about McCain inspires your trust? His careless conflation of different terrorist organisations? His complete ignorance of economics? The Bush cronies who advise him on foreign policy and economics? His plan to bomb a sovereign nation which hasn't lifted a finger against us? His calling Condoleeza Rice, a renowned expert on the former Soviet satellites, a 'wuss' and accusing her of appeasing Russia? I await your answer with interest.

Who gives a crap what obama or mccain do they both suck ass. Ron Paul the only one that is worthy to become president.
And he's not going to be elected. No third party candidate has ever won an American presidential election. Why are neither McCain or Obama worthy to be president? Enlighten us.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.