OAB dry and wet

Status
Not open for further replies.

T3ddy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
I have recently been undergoing a series of tests (prostate, bloods, urodynamics etc) for a diagnosed OAB disorder. Fortunately nothing serious but more bothersome (frequent hourly voids, nocturia up 4-5 times at night and moderate bladder retention). I am seeing my urologist next week and depending on the urologist's thoughts the next tests may be cystometry.

My official classification is OAB dry. I have been trying to find out whether there is a natural progression from OAB dry to wet or whether the two classifications are mutually exclusive. Does anyone have any idea or personal experiences they might be prepared to share with me?

Kind regards MWHE

From what I've read, it is common for people with dry OAB to progress to wet, but the progression is not universal. Many people with dry OAB never have wetting accidents.

I have always had OAB even when a child I just did not get diagnosed until much later. In my case, I had OAB mostly dry throughout much of my teen years and then progressively severe in my early 20's and beyond. When I was about 35 it progressed to pretty much always wet and the only time I can make it to the toilet these days is if I'm right next to a toilet. I've had severe nocturia too. Been through lots of tests and drugs. In my case, doctors have no idea why I have this and my only options are surgery.

Dear Inconinmiss, Spaz and Merp

Thank you for your feedback.

Spaz, it is interesting that you mention that your OAB goes back to childhood. I suspect it is the same for me - I've been a 'loo hopper' as long as I can remember - a bit of a standing joke in the family! It's just that things have progressed materially in the past 9 months.

Do any of you recall the stages or triggers that caused your dry to progress to wet OAB?

I must admit the Nocturia is probably the most annoying as it is wrecking my sleep patterns - I am not sure what the treatment options are (the standard drugs have been pretty ineffective for me so far).

I work in an office environment- a few of my colleagues have commented (out of concern) how frequently I visit the loo during the day. Being of a certain age I just put their minds at rest and tell them it's not my prostate! I guess for me if things were to progress from dry to wet that would be a whole different story.

Spaz, you mentioned possible surgery. My urologist has talked of bladder enlargement as being one possible treatment - way down the line. Is this what you are referring to?

Thanks again and appreciate your feedback.

Kind regards MWHE

mwhe1968 said:
Spaz, it is interesting that you mention that your OAB goes back to childhood. I suspect it is the same for me - I've been a 'loo hopper' as long as I can remember - a bit of a standing joke in the family! It's just that things have progressed materially in the past 9 months.

Yes, the term often used is "bathroom mapping." I can't remember a time when I wasn't stressing out about this.

- - - Updated - - -

mwhe1968 said:
Do any of you recall the stages or triggers that caused your dry to progress to wet OAB?

In my case it was a number of things. First, I had severe anxiety disease with panic attacks that hit me in my early 20's. They were precipitated by marijuana use. Second, I had a series of knee surgeries and the spinal block they used seemed to make my nervous system worse (I don't do well with anesthesia). And, lastly, things got really bad after a bout of kidney stones in my early 30's.

- - - Updated - - -

mwhe1968 said:
Spaz, you mentioned possible surgery. My urologist has talked of bladder enlargement as being one possible treatment - way down the line. Is this what you are referring to?

Yes. this is one of the more radical. Other minor surgeries involve stim implants and botox injections. There are potential issues with all of them. I know of a person who tried botox and it only works for about 5 to 6 months, then you have to do it again.

Thanks both.

Yes, the urologist has also discussed Botox injections. I've heard similar stories about these interventions not lasting that long but in the meantime does anybody have experience of them being effective?

One concern I have is that where there is moderate bladder retention (as I have) then following Botox treatment there may be a need for daily intermittent catheterization. I don't fancy that one bit!

In the meantime I'll stick to bathroom mapping.

Kind regards MWHE

MWHE,

I have a friend (a medical professional) who receives Botox injections for his OAB. Think twice unless you really, really need them as it is a serious medical procedure. About 20 injections are made directly into the muscle wall of the bladder. The procedure may be done under either local or general anesthesia (my friend is put completely under).

As the Botox paralyzes the depressor muscle of the bladder, initially you almost definitely will have to self-catheterize up to 6 times per day for a week or two until the Botox wears off enough that the bladder muscle begins to function normally on its own. Then you probably will have a variable period during which you still will be in diapers as the bladder does not yet have full control. For my friend it works well for about 4 - 5 months during which time he can skip the diapers and just wear "big boy pants," but then must be repeated.

If your urologist does not have you self-catheterizing now for post-void residuals, I would think it unlikely that you would be doing that on a long-term basis after the Botox injections.

I hope this helps.

--John

John, many thanks for your advice. As I am currently OAB 'dry' 'big boy pants' would be a retrograde step. I don't find the thought of self- cathetisation particularly appealing either! I'll speak to my urologist but I'm not a particularly a fan of pills and medical interventions.

Kind regards MWHE

Mwhe

I would recommend making your self an emergancy backpack for your car for a just incase you have a wet OAB issue one day like Merp had.

Having a change of cloths and a couple of diapers on stand by incase you have a bad day couldn't hurt. hopefully you never need to use the emergency supply but it's better to be prepaired then have an issue and not have a change of cloths or some sort of protection if your Dry OAB switches to wet OAB with little warning.

Thanks Rob110, good advice. I already keep some pull ups in the office just in case but touch wood have never had to use them in anger! Kind regards. MWHE

My OAB started out as the dry one, but over time graduated to be OAB wet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back