Not getting up at night much anymore but...

AUG168

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
...now I leak more but not full on bedwetting. I have enlarged prostate and I've been wearing Threaded Armor products at night or a pullup if I'm traveling for almost a year.

I'm a bit concerned that this is just progression and the next step is full bewetting.

Anyone else experience this?

• Thinking
Reactions: sport1, Diprs2, chamberpot and 2 others
Hi Aug168, I started bedwetting due to a spinal injury and with me i just started getting worse overtime. Resorted to wearing diapers 24/7

• Thinking
Reactions: Edgewater, Diprs2 and AUG168
Yes I had incontinence issues during the day with an enlarged prostate. I used to get up several times a night to pee and now I just sleep through it. I wake up almost every morning now with a soaked diaper. The good news is that I feel much more rested but there’s no way that I could sleep at night without a diaper.

Reactions: Edgewater, chamberpot, diapeybabybrian and 7 others
Since nearly 8 month I live with a combined dribble- and urge incontinence. First Pants were absolutely OK for me, but in the nights a different problem occurred. From bad childhood experiences I’m panicking for a wet bed. So in my Tena Pants I was sleeping quite bad and the slightest urge of pee caused me to wake up and make it to the toilet. This happened 5-6 times a night and I roughly never came to a deep sleep. So after a week I decided to give „real“ diapers a try (meanwhile Tena slip Maxi). First night I started sleeping better (knowing that a diaper does not leak so easy), but the getting up with the urge, still half sleeping going to the toilet, fiddling with the tapes while I already couldn’t hold any more was not the game changer. So - if the diaper anyway gets wet - why to get out of the bed at all? In the next nights I trained myself that if the urge came simply to roll on my back and let it flow. Meanwhile I don’t really wake fully up any more and after wetting within a few seconds I’m back to sleep.

So, now I’m comfortable with my situation and fully accept it - and I'm happy that I have a good, deep and refreshing sleep.

• Love
Reactions: littlefun, Edgewater, Diprs2 and 4 others
I take Proscar and Flomax and wet my diaper every night, what a pleasure not to get up. I don't have the nerve to tell my urologist when he asks me how many times I get up at night. I just tell him that I have some good nights and bad nights, but in reality wetting at night makes every night a good night, and then every morning wet, warm, and pleasurable especially after I add a messy load like this morning's Crinklz diaper is managing quite nicely.

Reactions: Edgewater, chamberpot, Diprs2 and 2 others
Nowadays the urge to wee at night is abating and instead of being woken with the urge to wee I find that I just sleep through it all blissfully unaware and wake up with a truly soaked Nappy that is getting nearer full capacity as the weeks go by, I will soon have to find more absorbant disposables or some sort of boosters for nightime use as I absolutely hate leaks and have remained bed dry for well over six months now.

Reactions: Edgewater, chamberpot, Constantlydamp and 3 others
Napincolove said:
Nowadays the urge to wee at night is abating and instead of being woken with the urge to wee I find that I just sleep through it all blissfully unaware and wake up with a truly soaked Nappy that is getting nearer full capacity as the weeks go by, I will soon have to find more absorbant disposables or some sort of boosters for nightime use as I absolutely hate leaks and have remained bed dry for well over six months now.
I’m in the same boat as you. I used to wake up to pee several times a night and now I just sleep through it. Each morning, my diaper is soaked when I wake up. The good news is that I’m sleeping much better now.

Reactions: Edgewater, Diprs2, diaperdude and 1 other person
virginiadiaper said:
Yes I had incontinence issues during the day with an enlarged prostate. I used to get up several times a night to pee and now I just sleep through it. I wake up almost every morning now with a soaked diaper. The good news is that I feel much more rested but there’s no way that I could sleep at night without a diaper.
Virginiadiaper, you have just summed up my life in two lines.

Reactions: Diprs2, Edgewater and virginiadiaper
Napincolove said:
Just curious, so it took 6 months wearing a diaper to bed before you finally got to the point of sleeping thru the night and waking with a soaked diaper?

Reactions: Edgewater and wiliawi
Diprs2 said:
Just curious, so it took 6 months wearing a diaper to bed before you finally got to the point of sleeping thru the night and waking with a soaked diaper?
Not so simple, I have been wearing protection at night for well over 25 years now and it is only in the last 10 years or so that things changed to the point where I sleep through the wettings.
In the early days I would be woken up by the urge to wee anything up to 7 times a night which seriously impacted on my sleep.
Eventually I got used to being woken by the urge to wee but learnt to acknowledge the need to go but ignore it then would go back to sleep sometimes before my bladder let go, over time these lines just got more blurred to the point I am now at, I go to sleep dry and wake soaking wet blissfully unaware of any bladder signals.
One thing is that I do not limit fluid intake as reducing intake in the evening results in stronger wee and that will wake me up many times throughout the night.
It has taken many years to arrive at a fair nights sleep which is ultimately down to drinking enough fluids to ensure wee is not concentrated enough to irritate my bladder.

Last edited:
Reactions: Edgewater, diaperdude and Diprs2
Napincolove said:
Not so simple, I have been wearing protection at night for well over 25 years now and it is only in the last 10 years or so that things changed to the point where I sleep through the wettings.
In the early days I would be woken up by the urge to wee anything up to 7 times a night which seriously impacted on my sleep.
Eventually I got used to being woken by the urge to wee but learnt to acknowledge the need to go but ignore it then would go back to sleep sometimes before my bladder let go, over time these lines just got more blurred to the point I am now at, I go to sleep dry and wake soaking wet blissfully unaware of any bladder signals.
One thing is that I do not limit fluid intake as reducing intake in the evening results in stronger wee and that will wake me up many times throughout the night.
It has taken many years to arrive at a fair nights sleep which is ultimately down to drinking enough fluids to ensure wee is not concentrated enough to irritate my bladder.
Oh, that's much more involved, time wise. I have been diapered at night since June when I decided to fight back against the 3-5 night trips to the bathroom. It is so much better just having to be wake for a minute or so and go back to sleep. I was just curious and obviously it will very from one person to the next. It would be so good to just go to bed and wake up in the morning saturated. Thanks!

Reactions: Constantlydamp, Edgewater, wetnappyjon and 1 other person
I have alway wet the bed about half the time i do not wake up any longer and am getting a great nights sleep. I used to wet the bed most of the time on purpose and only started wearing diapers to bed around 5 or 6 years ago. I don't think wearing the diapers ands wetting them has had anything to do with my increase in sleep wetting. I believe it is just the natural order of my life as I age.I would say that I sleep wet around 90% of the time now.

Reactions: DLbrand, Edgewater, WBxx and 2 others
Diprs2 said:
Oh, that's much more involved, time wise. I have been diapered at night since June when I decided to fight back against the 3-5 night trips to the bathroom. It is so much better just having to be wake for a minute or so and go back to sleep. I was just curious and obviously it will very from one person to the next. It would be so good to just go to bed and wake up in the morning saturated. Thanks!
This is exactly how I am. I never wet in my sleep (so far) but would wlecome it. I just wet my nappy when I wake up and go back to sleep quickly. So much better than trailing to the bathroom and feeling exhausted in thr morning. Constantly wet during the day though with less and less control. Maybe the nights will be soaking too one day and I'll just sleep through it.

Reactions: Diprs2, Constantlydamp and Edgewater
For me it started as small leaks and slowly progressed to full urinary IC, the only benefit to this is I sleep well with a mega max on as I don’t have to worry about wetting the sheets, when it was small leaks I refused to wear any diaper but as it got worse the realisation set in that I had to so I ended up wearing them, I sleep better tho as I’m not stressed about having to wake up and change sheets

Reactions: Diprs2, Constantlydamp and Edgewater
I'm so glad to see here that I'm absolutely not alone how I manage my urge UIC in the nights. Now practicing this since 8 months, it is so much better simply to use my diaper remaining lying in bed instead of sprinting (mostly unsuccessful) to the bathroom and needing about half an hour to get back to sleep - and this a few times each night. Sure, I don't wet really in my sleep, but I wake up only slightly with the urge, roll on my back and release and be back to sleep within seconds. Meanwhile I often wake up in the morning even not knowing how often during the night this happened, just remarking that my diaper is well saturated but I had a restful, good and peaceful sleep which is also shown by the result of my smartwatch - three or four deep sleep phases, long regular phases with a few REM phases and only three or four very short peaks (those seem to be the phase where I wet). I'm comfortable with this, my wife has no regrets, so life is good!

Reactions: Diprs2, Edgewater, Constantlydamp and 1 other person
hbic60 said:
I'm so glad to see here that I'm absolutely not alone how I manage my urge UIC in the nights. Now practicing this since 8 months, it is so much better simply to use my diaper remaining lying in bed instead of sprinting (mostly unsuccessful) to the bathroom and needing about half an hour to get back to sleep - and this a few times each night.
I've reached the point where if I did get up in the night, by the time I sit up (to avoid falling/being dizzy), and then stand up, I'd be peeing on the way. So why undo a wet diaper to use the toilet?

I know that many feel guilty for wearing at night. I know I did, even though I did infrequently wet in my sleep. But I am feeling less guilty about it with each passing year. If that makes me a DL, then so be it. :eek:

Reactions: Edgewater, OmiOMy, Diprs2 and 2 others
hbic60 said:
I'm so glad to see here that I'm absolutely not alone how I manage my urge UIC in the nights. Now practicing this since 8 months, it is so much better simply to use my diaper remaining lying in bed instead of sprinting (mostly unsuccessful) to the bathroom and needing about half an hour to get back to sleep - and this a few times each night. Sure, I don't wet really in my sleep, but I wake up only slightly with the urge, roll on my back and release and be back to sleep within seconds. Meanwhile I often wake up in the morning even not knowing how often during the night this happened, just remarking that my diaper is well saturated but I had a restful, good and peaceful sleep which is also shown by the result of my smartwatch - three or four deep sleep phases, long regular phases with a few REM phases and only three or four very short peaks (those seem to be the phase where I wet). I'm comfortable with this, my wife has no regrets, so life is good!
I follow exactly the same regime. It was recommended by the incontinence nurse when I said I was only getting about four hours of broken sleep a night.

Reactions: Diprs2, Edgewater and chamberpot
I understand the fear in tell your Doctor, but I assure you they are well aware of what you and their many other patients are dealing with. There are several medications that can help many, but it is a process of selecting the one or ones that provide you some relief. The dangers of medications is that they all have a long list of side effects. Many people find that the side effects is worst than wearing a diaper at night and/or 24/7.
I have been incontinent for a very long time and have tried near every medication that had come on the market.
The positive about being open with your doctor is that depending on your Insurance or Government program, your cost of diapers can be off-set or fully paid for.
Sleep is a wonderful thing and getting a full night's sleep is far healthier for you.
It sounds like you have some abilities at night and it is worth trying to save that if possible. The cross-over is whether you can withstand the side effects of the medication. If not, a quality, high-capacity diaper today is a great 'plan B.'
You ask about time, and the truth is, it varies widely depending on your level of IC and whether you have used any medications or are currently using any.
Waking-up at night is a strong set, near hardwired reaction. You are finding it does not yield with ease and I am told and as you can see above it requires effort and determination to transition. Hence, the recommendation to work with your Doctor and only after that should you undertake the effort as provided by the members above.
I wish you success in whatever path you choose!

Last edited:
Reactions: 11ermy, Diprs2 and Constantlydamp
Edgewater said:
I understand the fear in tell your Doctor, but I assure you they are well aware of what you and their many other patients are dealing with. There are several medications that can help many, but it is a process of selecting the one or ones that provide you some relief. The dangers of medications is that they all have a long list of side effects. Many people find that the side effects is worst than wearing a diaper at night and/or 24/7.
I have been incontinent for a very long time and have tried near every medication that had come on the market.
Of course I spoke with my doctor about my IC issues, he did some examinations to exclude any serious background of it and of course he told me all treatment options he could give, also suggesting medication. During our last talk I confirmed him that I have absolutely no issues with wearing protection and that I feel quite secure and that it's not uncomfortable for me. He also explained the side effects of medication and if I would choose for them I'd have for quite sure have to live with those. I just told him that at that moment I'm just fine handling my issues with protection (he also gave me a permanent prescription for those) and that I would come back to him whenever I wanted to try medication. He also explained that any treatment he could give would only help do decrease my IC but could not cure me. So, if anyway I would have still to wear some kind of protection (even if it's a lighter one) I see no big reason to try this out.
All in all, if I would be twenty years younger I'm sure I would try harder to fight my IC, but now I'm quite comfortable wearing my diapers, I can still live my active life in the same way I did before becoming IC, my wife is very understanding and has no regrets how I'm handling everything, so no need for me to change anything!

Reactions: Diprs2, Edgewater, chamberpot and 1 other person
Fully understand your position. Far too many individuals are near silent during a medical visit and/or miss what was said. I also believe that it is common for lurkers to read the threads and the information contained and unlike you, do not communicate well.
Sorry if I offended you.

Reactions: Diprs2
Back