nostalgic about baby diapers

Status
Not open for further replies.

kite

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur, Carer
now, from what i've read, they don't have plastic covers on baby diapers anymore, right?
i miss those. i know i could never fit in them since i was 8 years old, but the thought of something so symbolic like that gone kinda hurts. it's weird how it just hit me right now.
i know we have people over in other countries so what i'm asking is can you get plastic covered baby diapers over there or are they all cloth?

diapeybabybrian

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
You can get them here, on eBay. People post them up for sale sometimes. They call them "Vintage Pampers" for instance. But the seller will want a fortune, and you gotta lotta crazy diaper finatics who are willing to give you a bidding nightmare.

Last edited:

wetatnight

Est. Contributor
Role
Incontinent
Hello
I miss the plastic ones my self.
particularly the ones from the 1970's and 80's when they still had some bulk to them.
even adult diapers are going to cloth like covers.
I hate the cloth like covers, they don't hold wettness as good and they chafe my inner thighs
I like plastic backed diapers better.

BabyKat

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Incontinent, , Private
Hello
I miss the plastic ones my self.
particularly the ones from the 1970's and 80's when they still had some bulk to them.
even adult diapers are going to cloth like covers.
I hate the cloth like covers, they don't hold wettness as good and they chafe my inner thighs
I like plastic backed diapers better.
I'm sorry but maybe diapers themselves have gone down the tube...But if you know anything about diapers...cloth-backed diapers are still plastic diapers...They may chaffe you, but if you peel off the cloth cover...(if you know how to separate it from the plastic....which is generally not supposed to be done, and is very difficult unless there is a design flaw) then it is after all a plastic diaper...just underneath the cloth. They are still plastic to be waterproof after all....If they are leaking more it's not because of the cloth, it's because of other factors of the diaper...They probably changed them at the same time because when they change them they usually change a lot. (...but if you change them, you usually only change one ;) :laugh:)

cpndl

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Did any manufacturer make pull-ups with a plastic cover. Or were pull-ups the start of the cloth covered era?

Craig

Verscha

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Did any manufacturer make pull-ups with a plastic cover. Or were pull-ups the start of the cloth covered era?

Craig
The whole purpose of pull-up style diapers is to be discrete and look at least vaguely like underwear. It therefore seems unlikely that there was ever wide-scale production of plastic-covered pull-up style diapers.

Of course, I could be wrong, since I'm hardly that interested in the history of diapers...

On a related note, DryNites/GoodNites are perhaps one of the easiest diapers to remove the cloth-like cover from, leaving a thin plastic layer behind. Just pick at the very front of the diaper-- the stretchy bit-- and the cloth layer should become loose from the other layers. Then just shred it off. You don't even have to be that careful.

wetatnight

Est. Contributor
Role
Incontinent
to the question of. did pull ups originally have a plastic cover?
the answers is yes , the when they first came out. I think around 1989 . but it was only for a few years if that long , before they changed over to the cloth like covers, similar to baby diapers.
I have occasionallly seen some packages of the original pull ups for sale on ebay under vintage diapers or vintage pull ups.

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I forgot if my pull-ups were plastic backed or not. All I know is I got diaper rash from pull-ups. I was born in late 1987 and I was potty training in maybe 1990 or maybe 1991.

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
If you really want history, (and I went on line for this, I'm not that old, honestly) during the Victorian period, cloth diapers were the new thing. If you were born into royalty, you got changed once a day, and if you were a commoner, you were changed once a week! I know, I couldn't believe it either, but that's what I have read.

baconbit

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Sissy
I remember them from when i am little and i think it's a shame. They really took a symbolic piece of it away like you said kite.

g6s

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
whatever, depends is still plastic-backed... that's why they're so awesome. DUH

g6s

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
they're aren't? I guess i'm way behind in the terms of diapers then...

if plastic-backed doesn't mean plastic on the outside, what does?

BabyKat

Est. Contributor
Role
they're aren't? I guess i'm way behind in the terms of diapers then...

if plastic-backed doesn't mean plastic on the outside, what does?
Umm...ya plastic on the outside yes...Awesome, NO! Plastic-backed obviously means what it means, but that's not necessarily grounds to be awesome. I mean like they are the worst diapers in my expereince...They always make you feel wet, even when the absorbancy isn't used up...They leak easily. They don't hold a lot to start with...and they just plain suck....Not to mention the plastic-backed is supposed to be for them to be baby-ish...In every other way, that concept's thrown out and then some.

Aki

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
My baby diapers never had plastic backing...
They had, like, a tape area where it was cloth, but the rest of it was cloth.

Tigger

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I think some really cheapo ones still have plastic backs. Anyways, you can't really expect them to stay like that forever, cloth type backing is far superior to plastic anyway, in terms of comfort and such.

DanElmontan

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
to the question of. did pull ups originally have a plastic cover?
the answers is yes , the when they first came out. I think around 1989 . but it was only for a few years if that long , before they changed over to the cloth like covers, similar to baby diapers.
I have occasionallly seen some packages of the original pull ups for sale on ebay under vintage diapers or vintage pull ups.
Pull ups always had a cloth cover....I was a budding DL in my early teens back in the late 80's and early 90's and remember when Pull Ups hit the shelves and had a picture of the androgynous kid on the front...I used to steal them like crazy from my neighbor's younger brother's room....I could fit into the Larges (which is now the 4T-5T or whatever they call it) back then (the blue packs)...

BabyKat

Est. Contributor
Role
I could fit into the Larges (which is now the 4T-5T or whatever they call it) back then (the blue packs)...
Yeah, I bought a couple packs of them on ebay a while ago...They hold a LOT for a pull-up, much more than the new ones now do.

g6s

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I mean like they are the worst diapers in my expereince...
i use depends only for the crinkling... and nothing else! they leak after using it, yeah... but they can do just fine for other uses and make a noise like no other.

BabyKat

Est. Contributor
Role
i use depends only for the crinkling... and nothing else! they leak after using it, yeah... but they can do just fine for other uses and make a noise like no other.
Hmmm...Well for a junky product way-overpriced, I guess it's to be expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.