No, it is not always a fetish or sexual. It's therapeutic.

neophyte

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I've waited a month to post this. I know there are many members here, and just as many different reasons why we are DLs.

We don't call other forms of therapy a fetish, wearing diapers shouldn't always be labeled as a fetish either.

I am struggling to find my place in here. I am a diaper lover, by choice, and it is not sexual or a fetish for me; fixated if anything. But if you google "fixated diaper" all you see is sexual and arousal. That's not me and I cannot be the only one here that is this way.

1. Wearing an ABDL diaper somehow makes me feel youthful. I (and many of us) miss that time in our lives where our days were stress free, we were cared for and nurtured, it was a very loving part of our lives. I am now in my 30s, I am a provider for my family and I have all of the stresses squarely on my shoulders now. I've even sucked a pacifier a couple times, rare occasion. (My tongue actually presses up and hard on the top of my mouth when I sleep, I wish I could use a pacifier at night sometimes)

2. I get some of the same therapeutic benefits that things like "CalmWear" or "deep pressure touch (DPT)" offer.

Thats it! Take a shower, put on a diaper, get dressed, brush teeth, get on with your day whether it be college, work, stay at home, or a rock concert.

Is there room for a new definition which addresses the DLs who use it for therapeutic reasons?

Note: Diapers can be incorporated into foreplay... such as slowly un-taping them or slipping your hand inside; but the same can be said about any garment being worn during foreplay. Wearing pants, socks, or underwear during foreplay doesn't make them a fetish, same with diapers. I'm wearing a diaper, how else are you going to get in there!!

From ADISC definition...

Overwhelmingly among diaper lovers, the fetish is sexual. Sexual fetishism is defined as receiving sexual arousal and gratification from an object which is not inherently sexually charged. In this case, the fetish object is a diaper.

Last edited:
Reactions: chrischrischris, KittyMerriweather, OmiOMy and 2 others
I certainly wouldn't dispute that there are non-sexual DLs. It's all a spectrum. If you're playing the odds, it's sexy for most. That doesn't invalidate or denigrate other motivations, it's just the most common.

Reactions: AAO and Deleted member 47221
I am in total agreement. My therapist told me that it is ok to use it as a coping mechanism.

Reactions: lil_baby_tigger, Blathers, CrazySmoker and 1 other person
It's fine. You still love diapers. Loving something does not imply sex. Most incontinent adults who wear diapers do not find them sexual either. Many come to like/love them because it keeps them secure and dry. I am both. Incontinent, and sexual. I have all the therapeutic benefits you describe. I just also take it a step further and get sexual pleasure on top.

• Love
Reactions: lil_baby_tigger
I agree. Great for relaxation at night and not having to worry about wetting the bed like when I was 3 -11 years old (and at several times in that time period I was wearing just regular underwear). Though I rarely have accidents at night now, I still like the security.

Reactions: OmiOMy
i also thinking im in the same category. yes I'm mostly a DL, do i get sexually excited in nappies not really. Can i go days without thinking about them or not wearing one NO. What i like about them is the comfort, i can feel very relaxed and just be myself. There are days i like to suck a dummy or wear a onesie but again does the sexually excite me no. My wife does not wear but i can lay next to her in mine even touch does this excite me not really. I can say that the more ive worn them the less sexually attractive ive become to them. Now that im close to 50 and have worn them since i was 6 on and off over the years until the past 10 years i basically full time.

I agree with a lot of the sentiments here. For me, it started solely as a sexual thing, but these days, it’s more than just that. They’re a security blanket, a coping device, a stress reliever, and so on and so forth. I’m okay with what they’ve become and what they mean to me.

• Love
Reactions: lil_baby_tigger, sloth and (deleted member)
I enjoy my diaper time sexually and as a stress disconnect tool. But never both things in the same moment, in this way it doesn't work.

neophyte said:
From ADISC definition...

Overwhelmingly among diaper lovers, the fetish is sexual. Sexual fetishism is defined as receiving sexual arousal and gratification from an object which is not inherently sexually charged. In this case, the fetish object is a diaper.

I challenge this statement! Empirically and without restraint! And yeah, I risk getting banned for it [We don't ban people for disagreeing with each other. Read the rules. ~Moderators], but observation dictates otherwise. It's more like for 20-30% of dl's the fetish (sexual) aspect is inherent. So go ahead, prove me wrong admins- or anyone. There is a CLEAR difference between loving diapers and including sexuality vs. basing diapers on sexuality alone. THAT difference is whether or not being a dl is a PART of who we are, or something we CHOSE to engage in.

Last edited by a moderator:
nobody said it was mainly sexual, for example I'm just asexual so he is sure that sex has nothing to do with, it's actually very often therapeutic, this which explains why a lot of those who want to quit for standards issues falls into depression and uses new ones usually maximum one year later .is not for nothing that the therapist does not recommend to stop the use, or even encourages to continue if it allows the person to get better.

I think it can be both at different times, Sometimes wearing a diaper is therapeutic, but sometimes there is a sexual aspect to it, at least for me. To boil it down to basics I am not feeling horny all the time but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy wetting my diaper for comfort.

• Love
Reactions: lil_baby_tigger
I think there can be a wide spectrum with being an ABDL. There's times when it's been the cute and fluffy end of BDSM. Having control taken from you. Impact play with floggers, crops, and paddles. Sometimes a diaper, cartoons, coloring and dino nuggets gets me out of adulty stressy head. Then sometimes there's nothing like having a Mommy hold you and give you diaper butt pats as you fall asleep.
I move around this spectrum myself.

• Love
Reactions: lil_baby_tigger and flipside
We all have a different relationship with this.

You do you boo.
What works for you, works for you.

We all need to remember that members have many reasons for wearing a diaper. Some have a more practical reason such as IC and the interest grows from there. Some experience a regressive theropy which does not relate to sexuality. Many, like myself, have a psychosexual association which sometimes manifest as a sexual compulsion.

For me, this association started before I can remember and eventually completed the association in my early teens. So, I can say that my experience is a fetish but I can certainly understand that many people here are not sexually active during regression and some may not regress at all but just like wearing diapers the way I like wearing a Slayer t-shirt. There are different clinical profiles that represent these different behaviors.

No matter why we are here, we should always respect each other's point of view. It is good that this topic is discussed so we can see all aspects of the pampered life.

Reactions: SAPexpanded and BobaFettish
Tithonian said:
I'm on both padded ends of the DL spectrum. I'll say up front that you should identify your diaper enthusiasm however you please. With that in mind, sexual or not, it's still a fetish. While it's more common to hear of fetishes referred to in a sexual nature, fetishes are not inherently sexual.

Honestly, I think there is too much to ABDLism to really call it a fetish for everyone.
From this page: https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/fetish

1 A form of sexual desire in which gratification is linked to an abnormal degree to a particular object, item of clothing, part of the body, etc.
1.1 An excessive and irrational devotion or commitment to a particular thing.

While both of these things could describe some people here, it does not describe everyone. In a purely DL sense, yes, it most likely is. For some Littles, yes, because of the 1.1 definition. The more I look at scholarly sources, unless its sexual to an abnormal degree or excessive and irrational, it isn't defined as a fetish.

The other thing to consider is that for a healthy life, you need balance in all things. If balance is obtained, and ABDLism isn't negatively impacting your ability to function as a person, psychologically speaking, you are fine, and most likely do not fit either definition or sub-definition of a fetish.

Reactions: PapaBear001
Azie said:
Honestly, I think there is too much to ABDLism to really call it a fetish for everyone.

While both of these things could describe some people here, it does not describe everyone. In a purely DL sense, yes, it most likely is. For some Littles, yes, because of the 1.1 definition. The more I look at scholarly sources, unless its sexual to an abnormal degree or excessive and irrational, it isn't defined as a fetish.

The other thing to consider is that for a healthy life, you need balance in all things. If balance is obtained, and ABDLism isn't negatively impacting your ability to function as a person, psychologically speaking, you are fine, and most likely do not fit either definition or sub-definition of a fetish.

If sex does not interest us, it is sure that it is not fetishism, personally it is therapeutic side 70%, utility side 20%, practical side 10% (practice to hide something who should not be here). - (less) 100% regression, sex related, fetish related, something else like that.

neophyte said:
I've waited a month to post this. I know there are many members here, and just as many different reasons why we are DLs.

We don't call other forms of therapy a fetish, wearing diapers shouldn't always be labeled as a fetish either.

I am struggling to find my place in here. I am a diaper lover, by choice, and it is not sexual or a fetish for me; fixated if anything. But if you google "fixated diaper" all you see is sexual and arousal. That's not me and I cannot be the only one here that is this way.

1. Wearing an ABDL diaper somehow makes me feel youthful. I (and many of us) miss that time in our lives where our days were stress free, we were cared for and nurtured, it was a very loving part of our lives. I am now in my 30s, I am a provider for my family and I have all of the stresses squarely on my shoulders now. I've even sucked a pacifier a couple times, rare occasion. (My tongue actually presses up and hard on the top of my mouth when I sleep, I wish I could use a pacifier at night sometimes)

2. I get some of the same therapeutic benefits that things like "CalmWear" or "deep pressure touch (DPT)" offer.

Thats it! Take a shower, put on a diaper, get dressed, brush teeth, get on with your day whether it be college, work, stay at home, or a rock concert.

Is there room for a new definition which addresses the DLs who use it for therapeutic reasons?

Note: Diapers can be incorporated into foreplay... such as slowly un-taping them or slipping your hand inside; but the same can be said about any garment being worn during foreplay. Wearing pants, socks, or underwear during foreplay doesn't make them a fetish, same with diapers. I'm wearing a diaper, how else are you going to get in there!!

From ADISC definition...

I feel that your original topic was unfortunately slaughtered):

Back