Nintendo Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoshiDL

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I thought I would go ahead and create a Nintendo Switch thread for anyone who is interested in the Switch. The reveal event is tonight so we will finally get to see the switch in action and find out pricing and what games are coming to it. Personally I am really looking forward to a new mario kart, hopefully pikmin 4, and hopefully at some point a new mario galaxy. I also hope to see GameCube games finally come to the virtual console.

Have you seen Super Mario Odyssey? I want this system. I've been a Nintendo fan boy since the NES. I love most of their work. Wii u was a low point, but I enjoyed some of it's games. I'm not sure if I'll be an early adopter this time around, but I'll be watching it for sure

NeS= Great

SNES=Great

N64?=Great

Gamecube=Pleased.

wii= glad there is backward compatibility with gamecube, as most wii games were seriously a let down. gimmicks gimmicks gimmicks.

WiiU=no backward compatibility with gamecube without modifications, thankfully Its compatible with all those seriously disapointing wii games. Used my Wiiu for as long as it took to beat windwaker and Skyward sword. Very disapointing system, completely regret buying it.

Switch= Nintendo can close its doors for all I care. their time is past.

Its time to support American consoles and computers as your gaming centers. keep the money flowing into the U.S.A.

I am a hardcore Nintendo fanboy, if this isn't obvious from my name and picture. I totally can see your point MommyandMattling as I think Nintendo has focused too much on their gimmicks and let a lot of their great series be lost in time. The thing that Nintendo does better than any other company imo is produce quality games. Nintendo is one of the last gaming companies to produce truly quality games that at launch work without patches and Nintendo has very little to no dlc in their games, which is something too many company nowadays takes for granted. I have already pre ordered a switch just like I did with the Wii U because for me most of my favorite series are on Nintendo consoles. I think Super Mario Odyssey looked good, I always am glad when Nintendo tries something new with the Mario series. I will probably pick up Mario Kart 8 and Super Mario Odyssey as soon as they release. I'm still holding out for a new Pikmin game or maybe a new Kirby game.

I was hoping for a lower price. I'll probably get a Switch someday... maybe after the price drops. I was considering getting one relatively soon after release, but I've reconsidered. As for other consoles, I already have a PS4. Microsoft would need a whole lot more games for the Xbox One in order to tempt me. Half the Xbox One games that do look interesting... well... I already have them for PC. :sweatdrop:

Not a fan of Nintendo deciding to charge for online play for Switch either... though I don't really play console games online much anyway, so it's not a really big deal. If they don't make some major improvements from their current system, then they'll never get near the number of subscriptions PSN or XBL have.

I was also surprised to see the $299.99 price as well, most of the rumors were saying $249.99. I also was shocked by them charging for their online play, if they match Xbox Live or PlayStation Plus with features like free games and discounts on digital games I will be okay with them charging for online, as long as they majorly improve their online infrastructure. My biggest fear currently is that besides Breath of the Wild, there are hardly any games announced for launch. This is the problem the Wii U had and what caused many people to shy away from it. So far it seems to be selling well pre order wise as it is already sold out everywhere so hopefully Nintendo can keep up with demand and keep the momentum going.

I did like Nintendo but I think they are one of the worst gaming companies these days and are frequently stuck in the past. I do certainly agree they generally make great games (though I don't agree they are better than any other company or the last to produce quality games.), but that doesn't change all the other crap that they do wrong. Nintendo is notorious for treating its fans like garbage. Like shutting down fan-made games, events, or taking down videos.

They only develop for their own systems because they know if they develop games for other systems they would entirely lose the console market because that is how terrible they are at actually making a decent console these days. I question what they are even planning on doing when consoles are no longer viable.

Nintendo is only surviving because of their fans who don't want to admit that Nintendo is just not all that great anymore.

They give you a donut and you eat it up, and every time, they give you the same donut but just a little more stale than the last. Maybe they added some sprinkles to it this time. Maybe they added a bit of glaze. But someone who isn't blind can see deep down it's the same old donut and it's now as hard as a rock. What am I referring to?

All the games they decide to recycle over and over again. Pokemon anyone? It's funny too when people complain about how many Call of Duty there is and each one has little changes. Nintendo is like the king of doing crap like that. I mean they are the company that releases the same game twice at the same time and actually gets people to buy both of them. You think DLC is bad? Clearly, you don't see the pretty poor practices that Nintendo does. We would bash any other company for doing what Nintendo does. How many pokemon games are there, 27 now? (not including side games) Hardly ever actually changing the game either.

Now onto the actual new switch system. I think there really isn't anything special about it. It's just full of gimmicky stuff. I think it's a neat idea with the whole mobile thing, but really only useful for those who are going to be out and about a lot. We can essentially discount that feature almost entirely in the home where you are likely always going to be playing on a big screen. The sad thing is besides that, it's not really all that unique, though. That means the only thing it really has going for it is the Nintendo games. I do realize they are finally getting more 3rd party titles, but why on earth would I want to play those titles on the Nintendo switch over a pc or some other better console?

MarchinBunny said:
I did like Nintendo but I think they are one of the worst gaming companies these days and are frequently stuck in the past. I do certainly agree they generally make great games (though I don't agree they are better than any other company or the last to produce quality games.), but that doesn't change all the other crap that they do wrong. Nintendo is notorious for treating its fans like garbage. Like shutting down fan-made games, events, or taking down videos.

They only develop for their own systems because they know if they develop games for other systems they would entirely lose the console market because that is how terrible they are at actually making a decent console these days. I question what they are even planning on doing when consoles are no longer viable.

Nintendo is only surviving because of their fans who don't want to admit that Nintendo is just not all that great anymore.

They give you a donut and you eat it up, and every time, they give you the same donut but just a little more stale than the last. Maybe they added some sprinkles to it this time. Maybe they added a bit of glaze. But someone who isn't blind can see deep down it's the same old donut and it's now as hard as a rock. What am I referring to?

All the games they decide to recycle over and over again. Pokemon anyone? It's funny too when people complain about how many Call of Duty there is and each one has little changes. Nintendo is like the king of doing crap like that. I mean they are the company that releases the same game twice at the same time and actually gets people to buy both of them. You think DLC is bad? Clearly, you don't see the pretty poor practices that Nintendo does. We would bash any other company for doing what Nintendo does. How many pokemon games are there, 27 now? (not including side games) Hardly ever actually changing the game either.

Now onto the actual new switch system. I think there really isn't anything special about it. It's just full of gimmicky stuff. I think it's a neat idea with the whole mobile thing, but really only useful for those who are going to be out and about a lot. We can essentially discount that feature almost entirely in the home where you are likely always going to be playing on a big screen. The sad thing is besides that, it's not really all that unique, though. That means the only thing it really has going for it is the Nintendo games. I do realize they are finally getting more 3rd party titles, but why on earth would I want to play those titles on the Nintendo switch over a pc or some other better console?

Even for the time I think the wii was quite "weak" compared to other consoles at the time, on the bright side I can get wiis for like $30 at a second hand shop and soft mod it anyway, I used it for all kinds of cool things, emulators, etc. console is very weak compared to the ps3 at the time.

There were some decent games for it, but the wii was the turning point, and after that everything else became shit. Personally I think there going way of the "SEGA" eventually ditching hardware and just becoming a game development company, personally they would be better off, because it seems like there losing a lot of money.

Personally with the "newer Nintendo consoles" it seems there more targeted towards granny's or people too poor to afford a PS3 or PS4 now that being said I'm not hating on nintendo I liked the wii, but it honestly was a shit console for it's time, everything before that was very good, like the 64, gameboy, DS etc. they did some things right, but nowadays it's going way of the sega lol

Binary said:
Even for the time I think the wii was quite "weak" compared to other consoles at the time, on the bright side I can get wiis for like $30 at a second hand shop and soft mod it anyway, I used it for all kinds of cool things, emulators, etc. console is very weak compared to the ps3 at the time.

There were some decent games for it, but the wii was the turning point, and after that everything else became shit. Personally I think there going way of the "SEGA" eventually ditching hardware and just becoming a game development company, personally they would be better off, because it seems like there losing a lot of money.

Personally with the "newer Nintendo consoles" it seems there more targeted towards granny's or people too poor to afford a PS3 or PS4 now that being said I'm not hating on nintendo I liked the wii, but it honestly was a shit console for it's time, everything before that was very good, like the 64, gameboy, DS etc. they did some things right, but nowadays it's going way of the sega lol

Ya, I really hope they decide to go that route sooner than later. I have a feeling they would make more money.

The Washington Post did a review on the Switch today, and they said pretty much what MarchinBunny said. They too thought the Wii was a disaster, at least in sales and creating a future for the company.

This topic has always interested me. I am a Nintendo fan as a whole, but they do not listen to their fan base. Wii controls felt like I needed to heavily exaggerate motions. Bowling is fun and all, but skyward sword was ruined to me. It could be because I was holding the wiimote and joystick in opposite hands, as a friend noticed me doing.

But about marketing. As mentioned above, they go for gimmicks. This might surprise you: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_game_consoles
The marketing for the launch was actually genius. They broke the age gap to lure in the elderly and young kids by showing an interactive device with E for everyone games. As a parent at that time, what console would you by for your kids? So now you have a bigger audience that Microsoft and Sony totally missed.

Now, while they had that audience, they didn't deliver on it. Again, only E for everyone gaming does hit core gamers as a childish system. Nintendo also killed 3rd party support by having such a strange device that didn't have the power or resources other machines had; a big one being hdmi. Could you imagine trying to map controls on one of the several different strange controller configurations?

So, when the wiiu came out, many people seemed turned off. For one, having the name of a previous system embedded into your next one when people were burned out on the previous gimmick is not smart marketing. We didn't want another wii, we wanted something new, (although I guess SNES and NES name comparison may contradict that). Which it was for the most part. Yet, the same problems persisted, without a successful launch.

So here we are with the switch... Being optimistic would probably lead me to disappointment. Someday, Nintendo's flaws will catch up to them. This company has huge brand recognition. Imagine how big Nintendo would be if you could play COD online on a clean system with a comfortable and practical controller and fire up a Zelda game or Smash brothers on the same system?

*Sigh* maybe someday

So... What are your thoughts about the Nintendo Switch?

Doesn't get me wrong, I like Nintendo, and yet I do recognize how much they have contributed for the gaming history and industry as a whole... However, that still doesn't make me forget the huge disappointment I'd with the Wii U. So big, that I actually sold my console and bought a Xbox One with the money, which I currently own. :D

After the presentations and trailers through... I got myself really into the ideia of possibly having a Nintendo console again. I mean... At first, the Nintendo Switch sounds just perfect to me. It's both a portable and a home console, it has a pretty satisfactory image resolution considering that is a Nintendo console, it doesn't necessarily require a TV, and it has games that wouldn't be able to play on a 3DS for example. :chin:

The thing however, that most surprise me is the absence of a region lock. Seriously, when Nintendo announced that during that live stream I literally opened a huge bright smile of 180º on my face! That thing was so useless and annoying! I actually remember receiving a game for Wii U on christmas that didn't worked because of this exact reason. :wallbash:

Not having a region lock will even be away more convenient to me, since Nintendo no longer practices any comercial stuff and business in Brazil since 2015. And yeah... The battery doesn't last that long, but a I can always easily buy bi-voltage AC adapter since Nintendo killed their standardized plugs for good. :worshippy:

So... Maybe I'll get one during holiday season, and you?

Personally I'm indifferent, still holding a grudge against them for region locking 3ds games, main reason I never looked at the wii u

rennecfox said:
Personally I'm indifferent, still holding a grudge against them for region locking 3ds games, main reason I never looked at the wii u

Yeah, I see your point.
Region lock can be for sure a pain in the ass! X-(

They stopped me from importing 3 games they would never send to the US

I do see this being the way of the future, having a home console small enough to also be portable. However, the specs on the switch is underwhelming at best so I'll stick with standard consoles for now.

rennecfox said:

Region locking is a huge pain, I couldn't believe during the switch unveiling they announced it is region free. That is like the most unnintendo thing ever. I'm looking forward too it just for the fact that games in America like star fox 64 3D are $40 while in other parts of the world it can be attained for less than $20.

Slomo said:
I do see this being the way of the future, having a home console small enough to also be portable. However, the specs on the switch is underwhelming at best so I'll stick with standard consoles for now.

Ya, I agree. I actually think portability is just inevitable really.

Slomo said:

Actually, that's the major reason why I have a Xbox One.
If I really buy a Nintendo Switch, I'll keep it as my secondary console.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back