Night time leaking woes!

ollienappied

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Hi Guys, hope you can advise, I’ve been doubly incontinent most my life and suffer with really bad insomnia (on meds for that but that’s another story) and I’m just getting so fed up of my nappies leaking at night which then wake me up making sleep worse and feeling rubbish the next day. I currently use Tena slip maxi active which are supplied by the NHS and about 50-60% at night leak due to being full, thus then having to change the sheets waking both myself and wife up.

I have a waterproof protector for the bed which is fine its just the constant regime at 2am in the morning of... leaked - get up - change sheets - change myself and then after all that not being able to get back to sleep. With the meds I take I have to drink a bit before going to bed that doesn’t help. My wife’s great about it but also feel awful for her having to wake her up. I probery being stupid as sure I’m not the only one who face’s this issue but what would you recommend? More absorbent nappies for night?, plastic pants (which then make you hotter) Sorry if I sound like I’m moaning just tired :-( (also sorry if its dosent make sence, half asleep)

Tena Slip Active Fit Maxi are not rated for overnight use (ABU lists them as 2500mL). You'll be wanting something with likely double the absorbency for incontinence. BetterDry/Crinklz are great and pretty economical when it comes to high absorbency options. If you wear PUL or plastic pants over top that can also help a lot and on my experience they don't make it noticeably hotter down there. You could also try using one or more boosters in the Tena product you're using now but that only goes so far

Reactions: Sheepies and ollienappied
I get mine supplied on NHS, the tena just about do for the day but then i buy I'd slip super cotton for night only £45 for three month supply never had one leak on me

Reactions: ollienappied
Try adding a booster pad. If you can set an alarm of some sorts just to wake you up, you can get up to relieve yourself and put on a dry diaper.

Try cloth diapers and waterproof pants.

Reactions: bounduptoplease, ollienappied and NappiedTruckDriver
I would advise against a booster if your a side sleeper, it’ll just end up causing more leaks

Definitely need to look into a more absorbent diaper, I know I’d piss all over the bedding if I went to bed with one of those 😂

Really as far as night time protection goes, you really can’t beat cloth as much as I hate to admit that. Especially for a side sleeper, you can actually have some absorbency on the sides!

My current ‘go to bed without worries’ disposable is a peekabu. I’m a side sleeper and I don’t sleep so great either. They’ll take a good wetting on my side and if during one of the 20 times I wake up overnight I feel it could leak if I wet again on my side I’ll just get up and change. Sometimes I’ll just try to go back to sleep on my back and hope for the best lol

One trick I picked up from the adult bedwetting subreddit is to double your sheets in case of a leak. On my bed I've got a wraparound waterproof mattress protector, a set of sheets, an elasticized waterproof mattress protector, a second set of sheets, and then a bedpad. Mild leaks don't get through the bedpad, but for bigger leaks I can just take the top set of sheets and mattress protectors off and still have a nicely made bed underneath.

Changing at 3:30 in the morning sucks, but cutting it down to changing my diaper and slipping the sheets off my bed rather than needing to find clean sheets and fumble around getting them on the bed, and turning the light on to get them on properly, etc, helped a lot when I was newly incontinent. Now I almost never need the double layer (the bedpad is enough), but the few times I've been sick and actually used it still makes it worth it to me to keep up with it.

Hopefully the other ideas posted will keep you from having leaks, but if they don't consider something like this that will interrupt your sleep less.

Reactions: RamblinMan76 and ollienappied
I would recommend purchasing three or four double terry pull up nappies, and two PUL pants. Then you'll be sufficiently protected and won't have to change soaked sheets in the middle of the night. You can get the terry nappies here.

ollienappied said:
Hi Guys, hope you can advise, I’ve been doubly incontinent most my life and suffer with really bad insomnia (on meds for that but that’s another story) and I’m just getting so fed up of my nappies leaking at night which then wake me up making sleep worse and feeling rubbish the next day. I currently use Tena slip maxi active which are supplied by the NHS and about 50-60% at night leak due to being full, thus then having to change the sheets waking both myself and wife up.

I have a waterproof protector for the bed which is fine its just the constant regime at 2am in the morning of... leaked - get up - change sheets - change myself and then after all that not being able to get back to sleep. With the meds I take I have to drink a bit before going to bed that doesn’t help. My wife’s great about it but also feel awful for her having to wake her up. I probery being stupid as sure I’m not the only one who face’s this issue but what would you recommend? More absorbent nappies for night?, plastic pants (which then make you hotter) Sorry if I sound like I’m moaning just tired :-( (also sorry if its dosent make sence, half asleep)

What you need is better HA (High absorbency ) Diapers And i would also ad a pair of PVC or PUK pants . Youre not being silly nor moaning hon i can defenetly understand youre feelings reg this problem. . as for the getting hotter at night with this i cant say i am feeling this tho (Note PUK pants although more expensive is made to let the body breath as will even the thicker diapers = less heat and and so on.

Thanks everyone :) for your advise, think I’m going to try a more absorbent nappy, what would be a good one for night? I was looking at Tena Ultima but I don’t think it holds much more than the maxi or should I look at something more premium?

Reactions: Deleted member 44276
Betterdry & Crinklz is brands that often is suggested for heavy wetters in here , I my self have (the European version NOT plastic backed ) Molicare Super M + (made for heavy wetters and poopers its a dutch brand so it should be available in youre country as well) and it have so far NEVER failed me. Bacikly what you need to look for is as many little drops as you can see on the packages (the more drops the Higher absorbent =HA diapers )

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd slip super cotton is 2800ml and the maxi is 3000ml+ I've had no issues with them no leaks and there the cheapest. I've tried abena m4s there rubbish, better dry are good if you don't mind PE backed. tena don't have high capacity the plus I get supplied with just about hold 900ml

Add another vote for Betterdry. These are the only diapers I have found which mostly do not leak on me with my side sleeping. And when they do leak it's small enough that a reusable bed pad is more than adequate to protect my mattress.

Take note, adding a diaper cover over disposable diapers (I recommend PUL pants) will only delay leaks, not outright prevent them. You will need an absorbent layer between the disposable and the PUL pants for them to work well enough for overnight. Getting better diaper with at least a 5000ml ISO rating is your better bet though.

Reactions: Sheepies and ollienappied
Ehm... - just a calculation...: A normal adult should drink normaly between 2 and 3 litres a day. Maybe 1 litres comes additional with the food you eat. With this pretty conservative assumption in a worse case your body have to cope with 4 litres a day. You will lose maybe one litres over the skin (if it's warm even more) - so you will pee out maybe 3 litres over the day in the worse case. Assuming a 50/50 scenario your night protection have to cope with 1500ml (what a Better Dry can do). How ever - a 50/50 scenario is most likely not the right approach here.

Instead of thinking about thicker protection it might be also a idea to thing about the times you drink. My suggestion would be: stop drinking 4 hours before you go to sleep and spread the fluid intake over the rest of the day - more in the morning, less in the afternoon. More over a bed pad my help to reduce the effort of changing sheets. You wrote you are suffering from double incontinence. So assuming you have also BM's over the night it't a good idea to change asap if this happen because you don't wont to ruin your skin or risk an UTI. Here a Better Dry's wouldn't help at all - but would make it even worse because it's a really bad idea to stay in a BM over the night...

Pongoandperdi15 said:
I'd slip super cotton is 2800ml and the maxi is 3000ml+ I've had no issues with them no leaks and there the cheapest. I've tried abena m4s there rubbish, better dry are good if you don't mind PE backed. tena don't have high capacity the plus I get supplied with just about hold 900ml
I have the ID slip maxi prime which goes to 4800, when used correctly it can hold a lot but after 6 hours you really need to change, even with plastic pants.

Unfortunatly they condense and make plastic pants or clothes wet and smelly,

I tried the new BetterDry and I must agree with Slomo they are very much improved than the first ones and so good.
But I can only wear them with bigger pants, the ID Slip maxi prime is almost visible in the jeans Wrangler loose fit W34 I have, but for betterdry I need a W36

winterheart01 said:
I have the ID slip maxi prime which goes to 4800, when used correctly it can hold a lot but after 6 hours you really need to change, even with plastic pants.

Unfortunatly they condense and make plastic pants or clothes wet and smelly,

I tried the new BetterDry and I must agree with Slomo they are very much improved than the first ones and so good.
But I can only wear them with bigger pants, the ID Slip maxi prime is almost visible in the jeans Wrangler loose fit W34 I have, but for betterdry I need a W36
I agree the maxi prime are good, I only really use ID at night and must admit I have noticed odour control isn't there best feature, I use tena for the day and for the most part they do the job for a few hours.

I've tried better dry they work well too I'm just not into the Pvc feel I have to wear these 24/7 for Urinary incontinence and I find anything plastic back chafes a lot unless you wear a bodysuit.

So I’ve ordered some betterdry, some inserts/boosters to see how that works, I generaly prefer the plastic backed nappies not sure if that just because I’m more used to them but I have found some cloth backed ones to droop/fall down after a while and have slight pin leaks. Not sure if anyone has used the my diaper range but one of them said 6000 iso not sure if that is realistic though. Really appreciate all your advice tips 😀

Reactions: Deleted member 44276
ollienappied said:
So I’ve ordered some betterdry, some inserts/boosters to see how that works, I generaly prefer the plastic backed nappies not sure if that just because I’m more used to them but I have found some cloth backed ones to droop/fall down after a while and have slight pin leaks. Not sure if anyone has used the my diaper range but one of them said 6000 iso not sure if that is realistic though. Really appreciate all your advice tips 😀
Usually the realistic capacity is about 1/3 to 1/2 of the ISO capacity. This goes for MyDiaper, BetterDry, all of them

mickdl said:
Ehm... - just a calculation...: A normal adult should drink normaly between 2 and 3 litres a day. Maybe 1 litres comes additional with the food you eat. With this pretty conservative assumption in a worse case your body have to cope with 4 litres a day. You will lose maybe one litres over the skin (if it's warm even more) - so you will pee out maybe 3 litres over the day in the worse case. Assuming a 50/50 scenario your night protection have to cope with 1500ml (what a Better Dry can do). How ever - a 50/50 scenario is most likely not the right approach here.

Instead of thinking about thicker protection it might be also a idea to thing about the times you drink. My suggestion would be: stop drinking 4 hours before you go to sleep and spread the fluid intake over the rest of the day - more in the morning, less in the afternoon. More over a bed pad my help to reduce the effort of changing sheets. You wrote you are suffering from double incontinence. So assuming you have also BM's over the night it't a good idea to change asap if this happen because you don't wont to ruin your skin or risk an UTI. Here a Better Dry's wouldn't help at all - but would make it even worse because it's a really bad idea to stay in a BM over the night...

Annoyingly one of the meds I take for kidney issues I need to drink a fair bit and can’t take it in the day due to horrible side effects which is a pain, I do suffer with BM at night but don’t wake up to this, although use quite a good barrier cream.

Pongoandperdi15 said:
I've tried better dry they work well too I'm just not into the Pvc feel I have to wear these 24/7 for Urinary incontinence and I find anything plastic back chafes a lot unless you wear a bodysuit.

Since I have to wear more I too look for comfrt with mobility and discretion, however when at work, ID slip just smells bad when wet, my pants started to show damp spots and it wasn't saturated yet, so I had to cover it with plastic pants, which defeated the whole breathable thing and made it warmer.
To be honest I don't feel confident enough to wear plastic backed without plastic pants as many years ago I had such humiliating leaks I had to leave with visible spots. but at least they won't smell or condense that much.I noticed chafing depends on the brand, since they all feel different.

Back