Night Terrors

Fireband

The musical wounder of ADISC!
Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Little, Incontinent, Carer
For some context, I have suffered a lot of trauma in my almost 23 years on this earth. I have been formally diagnosed with both anxiety disorder and PTSD, both of which are a burden I carry. I thought I was over the night terrors part of ptsd, but they started back up this week. I was staying at my friend's house for a bit. Her parents where going out of town and she gets anxious and can develop panic attacks if she is alone. Since my family was out celebrating my sister's friend's graduation for the week, I jumped to the chance to get some company.

Now since my friend is incontinent and a DL at the same time, I've been getting to wear protection at her place without worry or shame. It is very relaxing. Since I can sleep virtually anywhere, I decided to bunk on the couch (she had game of thrones on DVR so it was a win win). Her place is two stories with bedrooms on the second floor. So, the first night I was over, I feel asleep instantly, but was in another nightmare right after. My nightmares are super realistic, and sometimes I can't tell them from reality. So, I'm woken up by my friend. I'm covered in sweat, I was wet, and was shaking like a level 10 earthquake. Now even though we are not romantically involved, we see each other as family like older sister little brother.

She was holding me because I was thrashing about and she was worried I was gonna hurt myself. I just started to cry. I explained to her my night terrors and ptsd and she understood, but was still worried. I ended up having two more night terror episodes during my stay, and she would rub my back and comfort me each time. I turns out I had to get my prazosin dosage upped. When I went home yesterday, I called my doctor and got my dose increased. I feel so defeated. All the emotional abuse, bullying, suicide attempts, and other stuff is in the past. It should not be bothering me. I wish I could just let it go.

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Sorry you're having night terrors. I've had some dreams about my wife recently, us getting separated. It's symbolic relating to her death. In one dream two men were keeping me from seeing her and in the dream I said I was going to kill them. I woke up angry at 4 in the morning. I mentioned this to my psychologist and he was concerned because of the anger, so we talked about it. Sometimes having someone to talk to, being able to talk things out can be helpful.

OmiOMy

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Little, Incontinent
I also have night terrors from PTSD and take prazosin for them. I can't count the number of times I woke up in a cold sweat, with part of the headboard punched off, wet, screaming. It took years of therapy to get down to a handful of times a month. I understand it very well.

DanielW

Est. Contributor
Role
Little, Incontinent, Other, Private
Sorry you are dealing with night terrors. It sounds like since you are able to relax around your friend, that your are letting your guard down so to speak. At least your friend was sympathetic, that helps.

Its nothing to be ashamed of. It can actually be therapeutic. I think its just the brain's way or trying to process all of the past trauma.

I used to dread/be afraid of falling asleep myself...I mean really, every night was awful. Meds can help. In my case, so does having my teddy bear and someone I feel safe with reading me bedtime stories (recorded, so I can listen to as many as I want or need to) every night to relax me before falling asleep.

My own night terrors, panic attacks, bad dreams, have really subsided and I am at a point now that I can actually look forward to bedtime.

And I know what you mean about not being able to tell nightmares from reality, when I take sleep meds like Ambien, I can't tell if I am asleep or awake and it really is scary.

Last edited:

Dinotopian2002

Breathe Deep, Seek Peace
Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent
So sorry to hear this Fireband, I feel for you.

Have you considered using sleep meditations? I don’t have night terrors but I do find it very hard to sleep due to severe chronic pain. Sleep meditating allows me to focus on the voice and be distracted from my pain. There are a number of meditations that deal with PTSD or night terrors. Perhaps this will help you cope with the fear of going to sleep.

I hope this helps you.

Breathe Deep, Seek Peace
Dinotopian2002

PaddedStag

Contributor
Role
Incontinent
For some context, I have suffered a lot of trauma in my almost 23 years on this earth. I have been formally diagnosed with both anxiety disorder and PTSD, both of which are a burden I carry. I thought I was over the night terrors part of ptsd, but they started back up this week. I was staying at my friend's house for a bit. Her parents where going out of town and she gets anxious and can develop panic attacks if she is alone. Since my family was out celebrating my sister's friend's graduation for the week, I jumped to the chance to get some company.

Now since my friend is incontinent and a DL at the same time, I've been getting to wear protection at her place without worry or shame. It is very relaxing. Since I can sleep virtually anywhere, I decided to bunk on the couch (she had game of thrones on DVR so it was a win win). Her place is two stories with bedrooms on the second floor. So, the first night I was over, I feel asleep instantly, but was in another nightmare right after. My nightmares are super realistic, and sometimes I can't tell them from reality. So, I'm woken up by my friend. I'm covered in sweat, I was wet, and was shaking like a level 10 earthquake. Now even though we are not romantically involved, we see each other as family like older sister little brother.

She was holding me because I was thrashing about and she was worried I was gonna hurt myself. I just started to cry. I explained to her my night terrors and ptsd and she understood, but was still worried. I ended up having two more night terror episodes during my stay, and she would rub my back and comfort me each time. I turns out I had to get my prazosin dosage upped. When I went home yesterday, I called my doctor and got my dose increased. I feel so defeated. All the emotional abuse, bullying, suicide attempts, and other stuff is in the past. It should not be bothering me. I wish I could just let it go.
I used to enjoy these events multiple times, every time I tried to sleep. Way back when, I'd often go two, three, even four days w/o any sleep at all, trying to avoid the nightmares/Night Terrors. You can only imagine how much the rest of my physiology/psychology appreciated this deprivation.

Now, nearly 20 years after the adult onset?

I see this happening perhaps one sleep session in three. I can enjoy longer periods of lack, and then suffer a mob of them.

I'm glad your friend didn't give you any grief over yours. It's nice to know someone cares.

I hope your efforts to heal continue to show improvement.

Be Well.