New Year Goals?

Kittyinpink said:
If you're growing corn 🌽.. definitely plant a variety of squash / pumpkins in with your corn seeds ! Huge pumpkins will grow , shaded from the sun by the corn .. the skins of the pumpkins will expand quickly in warmth but not with ultra vilot rays .. UV hardens the skin , stopping expansion.
Corn will reflect UV and help with a fanning mechanism as the breeze passes through them , creating a longer growing period for your pumpkins 🎃 😋...

If you want the pigeons to not eat your corn seeds .. or crows ! .. then hide the corn seeds.. soak the corn seeds in water in your home for two days until they swell.. rinse them off.. then dig a 4 inch trench where you want the corn .. scatter the seeds (including a few pumpkins 🎃! ) and Bury them. Keep the area wet.. the birds will take the worms 🪱 etc.. but your seeds will be safe..
Ignore them.. they will arrive.. promise.
Are you secretly Monty Don?

All I know is to plant corn in a grid as they pollinate by wind and that beans also make a good companion for corn and squash. (Thank Heaven for Monty!)

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen and Kittyinpink
Anemone said:
Are you secretly Monty Don?

All I know is to plant corn in a grid as they pollinate by wind and that beans also make a good companion for corn and squash. (Thank Heaven for Monty!)
I learned this by mistake, many years ago . I am a "learn by doing type" or in other words to lazy to read instructions!
So I basically did just that , dug a area over , scattered my seeds , shoved dirt on top , and made a little sweetcorn field! It looked great ! Unfortunately my photos were lost when my phone was reset.. but I think I have one survivor.. I'll have a look...
Anyway.. I grew an amazing pumpkin under my corn field.. and I didn't even know it was there ! It made me a bit famous that season.. this was many years ago .. and people still occasionally mention it ..

Reactions: Anemone and BobbiSueEllen
Kittyinpink said:
If you're growing corn 🌽.. definitely plant a variety of squash / pumpkins in with your corn seeds ! Huge pumpkins will grow , shaded from the sun by the corn .. the skins of the pumpkins will expand quickly in warmth but not with ultra vilot rays .. UV hardens the skin , stopping expansion.
Corn will reflect UV and help with a fanning mechanism as the breeze passes through them , creating a longer growing period for your pumpkins 🎃 😋...

If you want the pigeons to not eat your corn seeds .. or crows ! .. then hide the corn seeds.. soak the corn seeds in water in your home for two days until they swell.. rinse them off.. then dig a 4 inch trench where you want the corn .. scatter the seeds (including a few pumpkins 🎃! ) and Bury them. Keep the area wet.. the birds will take the worms 🪱 etc.. but your seeds will be safe..
Ignore them.. they will arrive.. promise.

I didn't expect so many useful replies :D. I'll have to try soaking the corn like you say, I was certainly disappointed at my harvest last year. I did a "three sisters" garden box last year (corn, beans, squash), and it actually did pretty well, but the corn didn't grow, partly because I had to replant them late in the season. I'm still swimming in summer squash tho--I swear it grows like a weed around here.

Reactions: Kittyinpink
First off sorry for being away these last couple months. The transition from the company I worked for 21 years to the company buying us was hectic. On the good side my pay checks are much bigger from the substantial raise. The best part was getting home for Christmas and New Years. Big surprise for my wife and I since I havnt managed that in many years. More money and more time with my wife she just doesn't know what to think. Best of both worlds thats not a bad thing. As a Truck Driver and this seasons winter has been crazy with all the closed roads snow ice chains shippers who want loads picked up and receivers who only want to know when will I get my stuff. Anyway with all this I've been extremely busy.

My new year wish is for a healthy happy year for my wife and I. My wife and I both had surgery in March hers planned and mine emergency and then all the follow-up stuff. Just give me us a healthy year this year and we will be happy.

• Love
Reactions: Kittyinpink and BobbiSueEllen
Kirisin said:
First off sorry for being away these last couple months. The transition from the company I worked for 21 years to the company buying us was hectic. On the good side my pay checks are much bigger from the substantial raise. The best part was getting home for Christmas and New Years. Big surprise for my wife and I since I havnt managed that in many years. More money and more time with my wife she just doesn't know what to think. Best of both worlds thats not a bad thing. As a Truck Driver and this seasons winter has been crazy with all the closed roads snow ice chains shippers who want loads picked up and receivers who only want to know when will I get my stuff. Anyway with all this I've been extremely busy.

My new year wish is for a healthy happy year for my wife and I. My wife and I both had surgery in March hers planned and mine emergency and then all the follow-up stuff. Just give me us a healthy year this year and we will be happy.
😍😍😍.. that's wonderful 😊!
May your new year be a fantastic one ! 😊

Reactions: Kirisin and BobbiSueEllen
Don’t call it a resolution… but I could stand to lose about 20 lbs.

Why do we start fitness resolutions in the middle of winter? Seems like a counter-productive concept. Wait for March and spend January and February on something like less red meat or less alcohol.

In fact, that’s my recipe for better “resolutions”. Take them one month at a time, so you can see the end of one resolution, see if it changed your habits, and then try another one regardless of how it stuck.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
My goals for this year are

Train more, especially cardio and stretching

Spend more time on generating income with my artwork instead of mechanical repair

Finish my stone faced root cellar

Grow twice as much food as last year

Go on more sailing trips

Continue to be happy and free😌

Reactions: Kittyinpink
Back