New issue with incontinence

Ebabyboy12

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Incontinent
I’m experiencing something new with my incontinence. Very odd and I’m not sure if it’s normal. I’ve noticed that I’m leaking out of the top and sides of my diaper. I’ve noticed that the padding is really expanding in the front. When I put on a new diaper I make sure I’m pointing down but it seems like it’s shifting to pointing sideways. It’s also most like it’s shrinking and not pointing down anymore therefor only using the front of the diaper. It’s happening in almost every diaper. Does anyone else experience a similar issue? Could there be a medical issue causing this?

Sorry if it’s too much detail it’s just really bothering me.

Ehorton said:
I’m experiencing something new with my incontinence. Very odd and I’m not sure if it’s normal. I’ve noticed that I’m leaking out of the top and sides of my diaper. I’ve noticed that the padding is really expanding in the front. When I put on a new diaper I make sure I’m pointing down but it seems like it’s shifting to pointing sideways. It’s also most like it’s shrinking and not pointing down anymore therefor only using the front of the diaper. It’s happening in almost every diaper. Does anyone else experience a similar issue? Could there be a medical issue causing this?

Well first, what diaper are you currently using?

Either way, you really should not have to point down in order to get a diaper to work. It's really more of an importance to make sure the diaper is extending all the way up to your actual waist line (near your belly button). Leaking over the top usually means the padding of your diaper isn't extending up far enough like it really needs to. Before my prostrate was removed I would point up with all 6" inches (because lets face it, when you're endowed well enough, pointing down just hurts like heck). Yet leaking over the top was a non-issue for me, even when I still have urge incontinence and would often flood my diapers. The only reason I didn't always leak was because I had a high enough rise in the front.

One common reason why a diaper doesn't wick pee well enough is there isn't enough pulp material for the amount of sap present. Too high of a sap ratio will hinder wicking pee towards the back. Most modern diapers have a high sap content, which means you will also need a high pulp content to get the most out of your diaper.

Leaking on the sides can be from a number of different problems. If you are really leaking from the side and not at the legs, then your diaper probably just doesn't have enough pulp padding extend towards the sides. Either that our you sleep on your side. Leaking from the legs usually means you don't have a good enough seal around the legs. Diapers which have a no-lower-tapes design are notorious for this problem. So if you're using brands like Tykables, Bambino, ABU and such, switching brands may be required here. Otherwise you might be experiencing press out leaks which is also cause by not having enough pulp and too much sap, or by not having high enough leak guards.

Lastly, and certainly not least, is flooding a diaper that just isn't up to the task. It takes a LOT of pulp padding to absorb a flood, too thin of a diaper might only be able to take one flooding, and once wet will not be able to absorb a second flood as effectively. Diaper like Abena, Confidry, or Tena are all good examples of such diapers. If your using them and get leaks then the obvious answer is to get better diapers. You should also note it takes time for the sap to lock in pee with diaper like these. If you sit or move around in a sub-premium diaper within the first few minutes of a full wetting then that saturated diaper will be very prone to leaking- even if it's nowhere near fully saturated but only wet in the front. Peeing more often but in smaller, more controlled amounts, will give the diaper more time to absorb and wick to the rest of the diaper.

Reactions: Wearing247
Slomo said:
Well first, what diaper are you currently using?

Either way, you really should not have to point down in order to get a diaper to work. It's really more of an importance to make sure the diaper is extending all the way up to your actual waist line (near your belly button). Leaking over the top usually means the padding of your diaper isn't extending up far enough like it really needs to. Before my prostrate was removed I would point up with all 6" inches (because lets face it, when you're endowed well enough, pointing down just hurts like heck). Yet leaking over the top was a non-issue for me, even when I still have urge incontinence and would often flood my diapers. The only reason I didn't always leak was because I had a high enough rise in the front.

One common reason why a diaper doesn't wick pee well enough is there isn't enough pulp material for the amount of sap present. Too high of a sap ratio will hinder wicking pee towards the back. Most modern diapers have a high sap content, which means you will also need a high pulp content to get the most out of your diaper.

Leaking on the sides can be from a number of different problems. If you are really leaking from the side and not at the legs, then your diaper probably just doesn't have enough pulp padding extend towards the sides. Either that our you sleep on your side. Leaking from the legs usually means you don't have a good enough seal around the legs. Diapers which have a no-lower-tapes design are notorious for this problem. So if you're using brands like Tykables, Bambino, ABU and such, switching brands may be required here. Otherwise you might be experiencing press out leaks which is also cause by not having enough pulp and too much sap, or by not having high enough leak guards.

Lastly, and certainly not least, is flooding a diaper that just isn't up to the task. It takes a LOT of pulp padding to absorb a flood, too thin of a diaper might only be able to take one flooding, and once wet will not be able to absorb a second flood as effectively. Diaper like Abena, Confidry, or Tena are all good examples of such diapers. If your using them and get leaks then the obvious answer is to get better diapers. You should also note it takes time for the sap to lock in pee with diaper like these. If you sit or move around in a sub-premium diaper within the first few minutes of a full wetting then that saturated diaper will be very prone to leaking- even if it's nowhere near fully saturated but only wet in the front. Peeing more often but in smaller, more controlled amounts, will give the diaper more time to absorb and wick to the rest of the diaper.

Thanks for well thought out response. I use tykables lil rarws and really find them to be the best diaper available for me. I’ve uses Crinklz, megamax, ABU, tranquility, northshore supreme, better dry, dry 24/7. I will try adjusting the way I put on my diaper. I’ve always worn them higher in the back but I’m going to try more even to see if that helps.

You might want to expirament with different means of taping the diaper. Pulling the front higher. Fastening the tops first vs the bottoms. Each way of adjusting them has subtle effects on the diaper. Making sure the front is high enough is a priority.

Also the diaper may be too small. If you are on the boarder between sizes you may want to go up a size.

Reactions: Ebabyboy12
Ehorton said:
Thanks for well thought out response. I use tykables lil rarws and really find them to be the best diaper available for me. I’ve uses Crinklz, megamax, ABU, tranquility, northshore supreme, better dry, dry 24/7. I will try adjusting the way I put on my diaper. I’ve always worn them higher in the back but I’m going to try more even to see if that helps.
Have you been using tykables without problems in the past? And does it seem like maybe they have been changed recently? Just trying to rule out the manufacturer making those diapers cheaper (It surprisingly happens a LOT). Conversely, have you noticed if your own peeing patterns have changed recently? A uti, weight gain, or worsening incontinence is a common culprit, as is your body's own natural cycle to retain/expel water.

Regardless, with that many different brands you should have been able to find one of them works by now. Trying to put them on slightly different ways is definitely worth trying. As example, Tykables and Crinklz need to be tapped on differently or they won't work right. If you try doing both the same, one will definitely fail.

Last edited:
Slomo said:
Have you been using tykables without problems in the past? And does it seem like maybe they have been changed recently? Just trying to rule out the manufacturer making those diapers cheaper (It surprisingly happens a LOT). Conversely, have you noticed if your own peeing patterns have changed recently? A uti, weight gain, or worsening incontinence is a common culprit, as is your body's own natural cycle to retain/expel water.

Regardless, with that many different brands you should have been able to find one of them works by now. Trying to put them on slightly different ways is definitely worth trying. As example, Tykables and Crinklz need to be tapped on differently or they won't work right. If you try doing both the same, one will definitely fail.

Yes I’ve used Tykables without issues. I don’t think it’s a diaper issue. They work really well for me. I am going to try and adjust the way I tape them on.
You mentioned any changes to my peeing or incontinence. I have noticed now I’m not only dealing with the lack of feeling the need to go before I’m peeing. Lately it’s been where the only reason I know I’ve gone is the feeling of warmth and the diaper expanding. Not all the time but a lot of the time. I also just had a UTI and was on antibiotics for three weeks. I thought the incontinence was bad with the at least knowing when I was going once it started. Not knowing your going is a whole another level. Diaper changes are much more tricky and I really feel like I’m trapped in diapers now.

WanderingToddler said:
You might want to expirament with different means of taping the diaper. Pulling the front higher. Fastening the tops first vs the bottoms. Each way of adjusting them has subtle effects on the diaper. Making sure the front is high enough is a priority.

Also the diaper may be too small. If you are on the boarder between sizes you may want to go up a size.
Thanks for the advice. Definitely going to make some adjustments to hopefully feel more secure in my diapers. I can’t have embarrassing leaks especially at work or while away from home.

Ehorton said:
Yes I’ve used Tykables without issues. I don’t think it’s a diaper issue. They work really well for me. I am going to try and adjust the way I tape them on.
You mentioned any changes to my peeing or incontinence. I have noticed now I’m not only dealing with the lack of feeling the need to go before I’m peeing. Lately it’s been where the only reason I know I’ve gone is the feeling of warmth and the diaper expanding. Not all the time but a lot of the time. I also just had a UTI and was on antibiotics for three weeks. I thought the incontinence was bad with the at least knowing when I was going once it started. Not knowing your going is a whole another level. Diaper changes are much more tricky and I really feel like I’m trapped in diapers now.
Ah, so that's probably it then. You were probably used to changing when you felt you needed to. Except now you don't feel it anymore (possibly worsened by that uti you had). You migh go back to normal, but untill then try going with a timed based schedule for changing and see if that helps. And also make sure to give yourself periodic diaper checks too. I like to do it by discretely pinching back seat of my diaper. If it's still firm then I'm dry enough to not worry. If it's squishy then I need to more closely monitor when I'll need to change.

Ehorton said:

it maybe a sizing issue or faulty diaper, not every diaper is made equaly I found with my own incontinence that I have to keep track of my wetting and messing to avoid diaper leaks. I wear ABU kiddos so yeah. as a recommendation I suggest you keep track of your diaper and make sure your wearing it right as well as be prepared for the odd defective diaper now and then

Back