New Gaming console on the way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice! More competition means there is a good chance games will become cheaper. Yay!!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk

Yeah, there's no way they're going to be able to get that thing running at 120FPS and have it be price competitive with XBox/PS4.

flapjackboy said:
Yeah, there's no way they're going to be able to get that thing running at 120FPS and have it be price competitive with XBox/PS4.

Well if it runs so much better than the competition then there will be a market for it regardless; some people will pay the extra money for better performance

Anyone who wants that extra performance will just join the glorious PC Master Race. This is putting a hat on a hat.

flapjackboy said:
Anyone who wants that extra performance will just join the glorious PC Master Race. This is putting a hat on a hat.

Consoles will always be more accessible to most people; just plug it in, do whatever setup/installations you need, put in games (usually install/update that) and play.

Computers are more complicated and for that reason Consoles will always be the ring more people go for.

BabyTyrant said:
Consoles will always be more accessible to most people; just plug it in, do whatever setup/installations you need, put in games (usually install/update that) and play.

Computers are more complicated and for that reason Consoles will always be the ring more people go for.
If you can set a console up, you can set a PC up. Every pre-built PC these days is as out-of-the-box ready to go as a console and self-builds are so easy a 3yr old can do it.

flapjackboy said:
If you can set a console up, you can set a PC up. Every pre-built PC these days is as out-of-the-box ready to go as a console and self-builds are so easy a 3yr old can do it.

Be that as it may I still think consoles have a more mainstream appeal and for that reason the Mad Box will probably sell well if it has good games

BabyTyrant said:
Be that as it may I still think consoles have a more mainstream appeal and for that reason the Mad Box will probably sell well if it has good games
How is it going to get developers to release for it? It's an untested platform that will only have their own games natively playing on it at release at the very least. What incentive could they give to other dev studios to release their game on yet another new platform that they'll have to spend time and money porting their games to? The only way for them to readily have access to a decent library of games on release is to either run SteamOS or Android on it. In which case, it will have no advantage over a PC or an nVidia Shield.

The console gaming marketplace is littered with the corpses of consoles that were released in hopes of competing with the market leaders of the day. Remember the Ouya? The N-Gage? The Gizmondo?

The current Big 3 are known quantities that devs and publishers are already developing for and can cross-compile on relatively easily. This new entrant into the market? Eeeh, not so much.

Yeah, but who knows it is possible they could end up being successful; not to say it would be easy though

flapjackboy said:
Plus, you've gotta buy a headset. And the nice ones aren't cheap. Plus, while VR is cool, the push for its adoption feels a bit like the push for 3D TV. We're talking about a niche technology here. Even for those who can afford it, the idea of making room for it and (possibly) stringing up sensors on the walls and whatnot... It's pretty unappealing unless you're a hard-core gamer.

Last edited:
Cottontail said:
Plus, you've gotta buy a headset. And the nice ones aren't cheap. Plus, while VR is cool, the push for its adoption feels a bit like the push for 3D TV. We're talking about a niche technology here. Even for those who can afford it, the idea of making room for it and (possibly) stringing up sensors on the walls and whatnot... It's pretty unappealing unless you're a hard-core gamer.

Well I dont think VR is gonna be their only thing; I would expect (and hope) it can run regularly games too, hopefully with a physical disc drive as if I ever get the Mad Box I would probably buy almost all my games as physical copies; but that's just my own tastes anyways.

BabyTyrant said:
hopefully with a physical disc drive as if I ever get the Mad Box I would probably buy almost all my games as physical copies

Yeah, there's no way they'd go down the physical copy route. Digital distribution is just far more cost effective, especially for a new entrant into the console marketplace. I know it seems that I'm being negative here, but I'm being realistic. The current Big 3 in the console space have been at this a long time and know what works. Have they made mistakes? Sure, but on the whole, they know what sells and they have the budget and market share to draw AAA titles to their platforms. SMS don't have any of that and will pretty much only have their own titles available on the platform at launch.

Look, I'm all for new ideas in gaming and if they can do something to disrupt the current console ecosystem, that's great. But I'm not seeing any benefit that this system could provide that a gaming PC couldn't. If anything, a gaming PC would be the better option as it can do gaming and everything else a PC can do.

flapjackboy said:
Yeah, there's no way they'd go down the physical copy route. Digital distribution is just far more cost effective, especially for a new entrant into the console marketplace. I know it seems that I'm being negative here, but I'm being realistic. The current Big 3 in the console space have been at this a long time and know what works. Have they made mistakes? Sure, but on the whole, they know what sells and they have the budget and market share to draw AAA titles to their platforms. SMS don't have any of that and will pretty much only have their own titles available on the platform at launch.

Look, I'm all for new ideas in gaming and if they can do something to disrupt the current console ecosystem, that's great. But I'm not seeing any benefit that this system could provide that a gaming PC couldn't. If anything, a gaming PC would be the better option as it can do gaming and everything else a PC can do.

I'm just saying why get rid of the disc drive?

That is unnecessary, you can still do the online copies and eventually just streaming all you games instead of buying them (when that becomes feasible; I would guess it isnt there quite yet).

I know a lot of people dont buy physical copies anymore; and I understand the reasons why; but theres several reasons I buy almost all my games as physical copies and I would always like to have that option

Here is something no one seems to be talking about, sure that new console might be able to output 120fps but here is the problem: Most HDTVs don't support 120hz! You may see terms such as 120hz effective refresh rate or 240hz "trumotion" but these refresh rates aren't true refresh rates. The issue, simply put, is calling it "120Hz" when it's really just a 60Hz TV with a scanning backlight causing you to see the same frame twice in a row, along with other methods intended to reduce motion blur, under the guise of a high refresh rate.

These "refresh rate" claims are just marketing terms to get you to open your wallet. There are a few real 120hz TVs in existence though, but you have to watch out. There is a difference between "120hz" and "120hz effective refresh rates" there is more to it as well, if you guys want to read up more on this topic, I will provide a link below.

In sum:
  • There are only 60Hz and 120Hz TVs.
  • There are no 240Hz TVs anymore.
  • Anything higher than 120 is a fake number.
  • Since it takes more expensive hardware to increase a TV's true refresh rate, it's rare a budget TV will actually be 120Hz.

Don't get fooled by TV manufacturers! That's all I'm saying, be informed.

I totally understand how the TV Manufacturers like to use bigger numbers to get more people to buy newer "better" TVs even if in some ways these TVs are not that much better (if at all) than older TVs and have noticed for a while they have fake refresh rate technology.

It isn't all bad though, 4K is quite nice (even if it isnt used as much as it could be) and if the Mad Box can really do the 120 FPS or match 120HZ maybe in some way that will help them get a big enough audience to be successful in some way

I have Astro A40s and I love them..

BabyTyrant said:
I'm just saying why get rid of the disc drive?

That is unnecessary, you can still do the online copies and eventually just streaming all you games instead of buying them (when that becomes feasible; I would guess it isnt there quite yet).

I know a lot of people dont buy physical copies anymore; and I understand the reasons why; but theres several reasons I buy almost all my games as physical copies and I would always like to have that option

ditching a Diskdrive is not really that big of a deal, i haven't had one in my computers for almost 7 years now and have had zero handicaps from it, if anything i gained more in terms of storage extra hard drives.

that being said a console is not a PC and Vice Versa, their internals and architecture not withstanding. the two machines are built for vastly diffrent usage that would dictate their hardware selections. most consoles are built with 4-7 year old PC hardware to keep costs down but also in order to justify such a price most consoles must bring more to the table than just gaming to maintain itself as a viable purchase. thus i see no reason the Disk Drive will leave consoles in the forseeable future as doubling as a full home entertainment system has proven to be a very large selling point and a disk drive is needed to play DVD/Blu-ray Media.

w0lfpack91 said:
ditching a Diskdrive is not really that big of a deal, i haven't had one in my computers for almost 7 years now and have had zero handicaps from it, if anything i gained more in terms of storage extra hard drives.

that being said a console is not a PC and Vice Versa, their internals and architecture not withstanding. the two machines are built for vastly diffrent usage that would dictate their hardware selections. most consoles are built with 4-7 year old PC hardware to keep costs down but also in order to justify such a price most consoles must bring more to the table than just gaming to maintain itself as a viable purchase. thus i see no reason the Disk Drive will leave consoles in the forseeable future as doubling as a full home entertainment system has proven to be a very large selling point and a disk drive is needed to play DVD/Blu-ray Media.

Yeah that is true, but Microsoft is releasing a Discless Xbox One for a cheaper price than the One retails at in hopes of making a lot of sales.

They have already lost the current "console war" and there is no changing that, but they are hoping that they can make some more sales because a cheaper console would be more accessible to more people

not that the regular Xbox One or the One S is terribly expensive, even the X isnt bad considering it has some advantages over the PS4 Pro, including a 4k Blu-Ray player

I personally almost never buy a game digitally (if I do it will be because it is very cheap or can only be found digitally so I wont have a choice); but I know I am in an ever shrinking minority there; but I at least like to have that option because you can almost always find cheaper games (used) on eBay (or at a gaming store like GameStop or GameCraze, but I will almost always buy on eBay after a game has been out for a while and is way cheaper than retail prices) and I rarely pay the $60+ tax that games cost these days at the store upon release date

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back