450 W PSU
GiGabyte Mobo
AMD Phenom quad core (2.4 GHz)
XFX Geforce 8800
3 X 1Gb Ram
750 GB Western Digital HDD
double layer dvd burner with lightsribe
TV tuner and PVR
Vista 32 bit and some version of linux(to be determined)

Sound Good?

chevre

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Sounds pretty solid. But get Vista 64-bit.. you are buying a 64-bit CPU!

paddedhawk

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I know, but with a student discount i can get the 32 bit version for $12. and i already have copies of several programs including Office for Win32. So, its a huge price swing (about $350). and from what i've heard, the driver support and compatibility isn't quite there yet. Am i right in thinking that a 32 bit OS will be able to use my processor to its fullest extent anyway?

Rene

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent, Other
noo.... dont get vista
thats the crappiest os i have ever seen!!!!

For Real Now:
vista still kinda has some stability issues so if i were u i would just get xp and buy somthin like desktop x or windows blinds for a nicer interface

(i know ur probly on a budget but...)
as far as the specs i would go with a more powerful psu maybe 500-600w
also, if your about speed i would ditch that hdd and get a wd 150gb raptor which will be much faster
and finally, be prepared to be able to handle heat with that tv tuner
i had an ati tv tuner and even with a 80mm fan pointed directly at it i still had heat issues!!!!!!!

other than that its pretty sweet!!!

paddedhawk

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
noo.... dont get vista

For Real Now:
vista still kinda has some stability issues so if i were u i would just get xp and buy somthin like desktop x or windows blinds for a nicer interface
My two year old laptop has Vista now and the only thing i needed to fix was a new driver for my sound. It's not that bad. I know it had problems earlier on but most of them have been fixed. and as far as the HDD its 7200 RPM i don't need anything faster than that b/c its mostly for multimedia. Im not much of a gamer.

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
My two year old laptop has Vista now and the only thing i needed to fix was a new driver for my sound. It's not that bad. I know it had problems earlier on but most of them have been fixed. and as far as the HDD its 7200 RPM i don't need anything faster than that b/c its mostly for multimedia. Im not much of a gamer.
Your not a gamer but you buy a 8800?

Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Carer, Other
noo.... dont get vista

For Real Now:

(i know ur probly on a budget but...)
as far as the specs i would go with a more powerful psu maybe 500-600w
also, if your about speed i would ditch that hdd and get a wd 150gb raptor which will be much faster
and finally, be prepared to be able to handle heat with that tv tuner
i had an ati tv tuner and even with a 80mm fan pointed directly at it i still had heat issues!!!!!!!

other than that its pretty sweet!!!

Have you ever tried to play games on Vista?

Status
Not open for further replies.