new and improved profile privacy options

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
Private
Many of you already know about the profile privacy option in the UserCP.
To cut a long story short, this option allows you to control who can view your profile.
The existing options were :
Public - anyone (including guests and search engines) can see it
Private - only registered members who are logged in can see it
Friends - only people on your buddy list can see it

This, frankly, is not an ideal system. So, I gave it a bit of an overhaul and replaced it with this :
* Public (anyone, including guests and search engines)
* Registered+ (only logged-in users)
* Regulars+ (only regulars, VIPs, and people on your buddy list)
** VIPs+ (only VIPs, and people on your buddy list)
** Buddies (only people on your buddy list)

Moderators, of course, are not affected by profile privacy, they can see even profiles set to "buddies only" without being on that person's buddy list. This is a necessary step to prevent bad people using the profile privacy tools to try to sneak onto the site under the mods' radar.

In order to use the options for "VIPs+" and "Buddies only", you have to have regular or VIP status on the forums. The reason for this is that, IMHO, I think it would be a bad thing if we started getting lots of newbies whose profiles were set to buddies or VIP+ only. It isn't hard to post the 20 posts required for regular status.

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Little
Way to go Moo.

Thanks for being able to do this, as this makes it easier for people to get the right balance between privacy and being open.

Reactions: mm3
Role
Private
This is very nice...it lets the newbies who are concerned about search engines and lurkers from seeing them, and lets Vips and regulars protect themselves from newbies.

mm3

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer, Other
Thanks for being able to do this, as this makes it easier for people to get the right balance between privacy and being open.
+1

Couldn't have said it better myself!

mm3

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer, Other
hehe, I've been getting that a lot lately ^_^

starshine

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Thank-you, Moo! This is better, and the new options added give more variety!

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
Private
I've added a new but related option that covers your instant messenger details (under your avatar in posts, as well as on your profile page). You have all the same options with it as you do with profile restriction... however, it only covers IM details, and not the rest of your profile.

That should provide you all much better privacy for your personal contact details, and lessen the need to restrict your entire profile. One of the major benefits is that you can now allow anyone on the site to PM you on the forum (using ignore to block them if they annoy you), but still keep your instant messenger details restricted to people you know and trust.

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Little
I've seen one newbie "lil_baby" that I can't view the profile of, which would mean it would have to be buddy only. Which you said was restricted to members+...

Reactions: Moo
Status
Not open for further replies.