Network Genius !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Incontinent
I work at a few large retail stores, and last week all the workstations lost access to the network, at one of the stores I work at.
I go to different stores every day on a weekly schedule.

I was busy at the time so I didn't really look into it, and the store called in Nerds on Wheels to fix the problem.

All the wireless devices on the network still worked though, so all the employees were using these to access the computer.

It took the NERD 4.5 days to finally figure out that the hub connecting the workstations had died.

LOL, there's money well spent!!

Entity

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Private
Thats why nerds on wheels and geek squad will never hire me for anything. Im to damn smart. I'd probably figure that out in a couple of hours. But hey, they get to charge a lot per hour so they can take as long as possible. Seriously, they just hire dicks off the street, educate them loosely, and say: do your job.

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
We fix that kind of thing at my school all the time, and in minutes. Sometimes our kids will disconnect us, as the hubs are exposed in one of the computer labs. Then I go up there and re-connect. That's just our junction boxes. If the switches go out, we just replace. It's simple.

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Sometimes our kids will disconnect us, as the hubs are exposed in one of the computer labs.
That is something that I so would of done. I messed with my school's computers a lot but I never did anything that I couldn't fix myself.

Nexeon

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
It took the NERD 4.5 days to finally figure out that the hub connecting the workstations had died.

LOL, there's money well spent!!
Wow, that's pretty sad. That is money well spent. Do you know how much that NERD got paid per hour? I hope it's not much.

Role
I don't know how much exactly he is paid per hour, but I'll guess at around $12/hr.

But he does get to drive around in that shiny bright red new VW Beetle. ROFL

I had a switch go on my network and I knew what the problem was in like 10 minutes.
Went and bought a new switch and was back online in an hour.

M

Mako

This is something I encounter everyday, I work the business side of an ISP's tech support. An absurd amount of tech's out there are rather completely incompetent with little to no knowledge about networking, milk the customers for insane amounts for minuscule set-up's, or will purposely set up their customers networks in inefficient manner, simply to get more money and ensure other tech's can't take their job without reseting or replacing vital equipment.

Lazy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Incontinent
It's an honest mistake. He's going through the routine problems but he overlooked the easiest solution: it was already dead. Jeez you guys like to ride that high horse huh?

Role
It wasn't an honest mistake.
It was a stupid one, for 4 days the guy thought the computer was down.
Hello, if the wireless devices can connect to the computer, it's working fine and the problem is elsewhere.

Grutzvalt

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby
My cats have tails that are very stiff and straight up, so they always unplug the pwoer strip that has my networking equiptment connected to it. The first thing I look for is "are the lights on?" If not, then its unplugged. If I plug it back in and it doesn't light up, it could be the power adapter. If that doesn't fix it, then new router. I have it done in less than a minute....Geek Squad: Undertrained and overpaid.

T00L

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
It's an honest mistake. He's going through the routine problems but he overlooked the easiest solution: it was already dead. Jeez you guys like to ride that high horse huh?
Yeah its a mistake and sometimes obvious things can be overlooked but 4 days? really? 4 days? Thats a little ridiculous.

r0bino

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
People who know what they are doing usually either have a physical checklist or a general way how to resolve such problems. You can't just "overlook" the fact that the switch is down, as you have to gradually isolate the problem by using certain programs, equipment or just your eyes. There's so much stuff that can go wrong, you can be happy if the switch's lights go off when it's broken, as it's just as likely that it will just continue to blink happily even though it's messing up all your packets going through :)

Stepping even further up my horse, I'd say that they still didn't pay enough to that kid if it was <200$. At least he solved the problem ;)

Of course my opinion on this is open for discussion, but that's just what I'd advise anybody to do if he does that kinda work, it's so easy to overlook these obvious things if you just start without a good plan. I always curse myself if I see myself faced with a new problem and don't try to solve it this way because I get so absorbed in trying to find the solution that I just try thousands of things without really having a plan, just to have to do them all over again because the problem wasn't so easy to find after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.