Nerd Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xzanza

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I made this thread for people who want to talk about geeky things; all are welcome!

how geeky?

About this geeky :D

01000111 01100101 01100101 01101011 01111001

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Ba-Da-Bum! *cymbal clash*

Favorite XKCD? >_<

ShortGuy said:
About this geeky :D

01000111 01100101 01100101 01101011 01111001

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
One of my favorite sayings.
There are 10 types of people in this world:
Those that understand binary and those that don't.

So, I believe we were on the subject of Star Wars and how underrated the fight scenes in Star Wars: The Clone Wars were? In my opinion, I felt like the lightsaber duels were far too slow-paced; maybe I'm just picky.

- - - Updated - - -

geeky like Darth Vader flying an Apache helicopter to get to comic-con

Last edited:
Xzanza said:
So, I believe we were on the subject of Star Wars and how underrated the fight scenes in Star Wars: The Clone Wars were? In my opinion, I felt like the lightsaber duels were far too slow-paced; maybe I'm just picky.

You are undoubtedly picky, but that's your prerogative!

I thought they tended to have more variety, interest and drama than the ones in the movies!

I'll raise you poor lightsaber fight scenes in Clone Wars... have you seen the latest snore fest Rebels episodes with those disgraceful thin blades?

Now who thinks lightsabers should have cross guards?

Starrunner said:
I thought this was a thread to discuss which one is better; Star Trek or Star Wars (hint; the initials of the right answer are ST).

Lol how can someone being trapped in a holodeck be anywhere near as good as someone wielding a lightsaber... First thing you would do if you were in charge of a starfleet ship is tear that junk out before it went haywire, can't see anyone saying the same thing about tearing apart a lightsaber!

As for transporters, is no one else disturbed about being atomised and then a copy of you recreated somewhere else often imperfectly and sometimes even with duplication.

Speaking of space. Has anyone tried playing Kerbal Space Program? It really does a great job in teaching how mass vs available velocity really works. Plus it teaches orbital dynamics and hohmann transfers in a really fun way- ie. explosions. I've played it through several times, and love their career & sandbox modes.

Slomo said:
Speaking of space. Has anyone tried playing Kerbal Space Program? It really does a great job in teaching how mass vs available velocity really works. Plus it teaches orbital dynamics and hohmann transfers in a really fun way- ie. explosions. I've played it through several times, and love their career & sandbox modes.
Best. Game. Ever.

Also, if you like that game I highly recommend Children of a Dead Earth, which is basically KSP but with guns (and you can design your own weaponry, nuclear explosively formed projectiles anyone?)

AdorableRabbit said:
You are undoubtedly picky, but that's your prerogative!

I thought they tended to have more variety, interest and drama than the ones in the movies!
I have to agree with you about clone wars. While there were definitely some episodes that just plain sucked, there were also some really amazing arcs. In particular I remember sync watching the one where they're fighting in the jungle with an internet friend and both of us saying something to the effect of "holy shit this is supposed to be a kids show???". We also came to the conclusion that obi-wan is the most incompetent jedi, and the jedi council just didn't want to hurt his feelings by telling him :p

The original Star Trek was somewhat ground breaking, but the Gorn? I think Star Wars was much better. Of course, Ewoks? So maybe not? As for scary movies, I love "Killer Clowns from Outer Space". Better than Citizen Kane.

Starrunner said:
I thought this was a thread to discuss which one is better; Star Trek or Star Wars (hint; the initials of the right answer are ST).

I just want to say...tumblr_mc7jvvxgQC1qjurp1o1_1280.jpg

I might also add that e83894a1c2bca32b9ab5f99fe567ddd5.jpg

so to determine this warhammer-40k-vs-star-trek-star-wars.jpg

we should consider this the-imperium-vs-warhammer-40k.jpg

40k > ST+SW

The issue though, is the sheer scale, we're talking a billion human planets loaded with xenophobia, each with a fleet, with each ship having the capability of the death star.

Ship to ship actions, would be incredibly one sided when one takes into account The Legiones Astartes.

To quote another forum: "To be more precise, blasters in Star Wars only leave small smoking holes in their targets. Lasguns in 40k vaporize entire limbs. Jedi can be killed easily by slugthrowers. Now imagine a diamond-tipped explosive slug that is supersonic being fired at you automatically and you realize what a Space Marine boltgun/pistol is. You say than an Imperial Star Destroyer can reduce a planet to slag in several hours. A virus bomb kills all life on a planet in minutes.

To be really honest, stormtroopers were killed by teddy bears. As much as I love Star Wars, Space Marines would toast Ewoks in the smoking ruins of Coruscant. And for more brutal realism, Star Wars was made for kids, Warhammer 40k is much too brutal to be."

(going to provide a link of their super-human biology encase your curious.)

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Creation_of_a_Space_Marine

It's unfortunate, but even the death star killling torpedo would be a moot point to ships that have legitimate shields like the 40k universe, as well as most ships packing world ending ammunition, but world ending biological weapons.

I think star trek palls in comparison, talking only human to human fights, if we involve non human races the gap grows wider.

The Jedi..ahh...the jedi..and the sith too, why not? The jedi may be the only actual edge that star wars has, and only if they join forces with the sith...again numbers though...and they will have to contend with psychic powers from the enemy.

can the Jedi stop lasers? yes...to devastating effect

can the Jedi always stop lasers? no..

can the Jedi stop ammunition, with a contact detonation charge built into each round? most likely not.

In this particular case, 40k drowns star wars and star trek in sheer size.

P.S. I know your tweeking my nose. =P

I just wanted to come in here and say Spawk from Star Wars is like so totally awesome and Jar Jar Spynx is the best character in Star Trek.

MommyandMattling said:
The issue though, is the sheer scale, we're talking a billion human planets loaded with xenophobia, each with a fleet, with each ship having the capability of the death star.
Nah, the real issue is trying to compare between universes with completely different rulesets, and capabilities that were wildly inconsistent due to being changed on a whim because the writers needed something to happen a certain way. Jedi can block lasers all day while playing chess with one hand and juggling with the other... up until the point where there needs to be some dramatic tension. Borg can adapt on the fly to repel impacts from high power energy weapons... but somehow never get the hang of not being shredded by melee weapons when a writer wants to show how badass Warf is. I haven't followed warhammer particularly much, but iirc that universe has a bad habit of pulling forgotten superweapons out its ass.

Oh and Goku would beat Superman everytime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back