Need LAN/Computer Hacking Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

kite

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur, Carer
hey, you guys might have noticed i was gone for a bit there (you did notice... right?)
anyways, i had a bit of a mishap flashing my go 7900gs on my dell e1705/9400. so far i've tried telnet'ing, using remote desktop admin (on vista), did a few scans, ect. and although i can ping it and find open ports (135, 139) i can't seem to connect to it in a GUI manner (or even non-GUI would be nice to install VNC server).
if i could get some help to a solution i could make you a personal mix of songs that you like (considering a used 7900 is going for around 220 on ebay :( ow).
so thank you for your time and consideration on reading this. hopefully, i'll be back on my own computer soon...

andysetra

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Other
So wait I'm a little confused. The video on your laptop is pooched and you're trying to get your files off it?

Oh, and I was literally just thinking today that you haven't been here lately (your name was red!)

kite

Est. Contributor
Role
sorry about the confusion. what i am trying to do is get a remote admin access from my fiancee's computer to see what is going on on my laptop in order to see the boot process. thus, by seeing the boot process, i can reflash the video card to it's stock settings and repair my laptop.

andysetra

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Other
Ahh I see...sorry, never really done something like that before - but I'm sure someone here will know something..

Jon

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Is that a single card, or is it in SLI configuration?

mm3

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer, Other
That sounds like a toughie. So your GPU was flashed incorrectly? That could either leave with with a borked firmware or no firmware at all. Try seeing if you can find a bootable utility that will flash it without booting your operating system, considering that it looks like you turn it on and see POST, etc. If you can't, try booting into a Linux distro LiveCD and see if you can boot that. If you can, get your files that way, and reinstall your Operating System.

kite

Est. Contributor
Role
it was a eeprom chip flash. so it's visual and on a laptop so i can't switch over to onboard video (laptops don't have onboard vid chips do they?).
what i would like to do is build an autobat script for my usb stick to run nvflash with command -4 -5 -6 (to bypass invalid id match and eeprom write protection) or connect through port 135 or 139 to get a gui interface and flash it again from cd by that method (so i can see what i'm doing). the latter seems easier though.

kevintje

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
get the drive out, hook it up to another computer, and work your way up from there...

Spirit

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Other
First of all, graphics cards, from what I can tell (at least not desktop versions) don't have re-writable flash chips. Secondly, since it's a laptop, the graphics chip is soldered to the motherboard, so you can't just swap it like you can on a desktop machine.

So if the graphics chip has gone, only thing you can do is send it back for repairs. If you do that, ask if you can take the hard drive out, it will usually come back wiped.

kite

Est. Contributor
Role
it's not gone permenantly, i'm just flying blind at the moment. the backscreen lights up when powered, but the screen is blank (yet still running and loads into windows). i did what's called a bad flash.

mm3

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer, Other
Try hooking it up to an external monitor, anything displayed there?

kite

Est. Contributor
Role
no, nothing.
any more info i could give you guys that could help?

element

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Unfortunately, since the part of the boot process you're dealing with is long before any sort of networking stack is loaded, you really are flying blind here. My guess is that your only hope is to somehow flash the card back by typing and essentially hoping what you're typing is correct, since if the card's dead, it can't generate video output, and if it can't generate video output, you can't see what you're doing.

However, now that I think about it, if you can somehow make a DOS boot disk (I assume you're doing the BIOS flashing from DOS) that can boot up and load a networking or serial driver (serial is probably your best bet if your laptop has a serial port) and allow you to run the flashing commands remotely, then you might have a chance. A quick Google search led me to this and this.

kite

Est. Contributor
Role
thank you so much element. looks like that could work. now i just need to get a day off...

D

Deleted member 221

don't you mean you OC'd your laptop graphics card?and it went dead?
your screwed up your laptop, oh and you CAN change the graphics card for a new one if you have a laptop that allows that as some laptops dont have the gpu soldered to the motherboard they just have it stuck in a slot so that you can upgrade it.
you will need to take the hard drive out my friend and buy an external enclosure to copy your files the enclosure for a 2.5" hard drive is around 20-30 $ australia

NEJay

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Have you tried booting with something that uses generic drivers?

If you have an upgraded video card, you should be able to default to using the original onboard graphics (and yes, most laptops have onboard graphics, unless you bought a laptop that uses a 7900GS as it's primary GPU). A boot disk, like an Ubuntu Live CD, should revert to using your onboard GPU, and should allow you to reflash your 7900GS using whatever Windoze prog you used running under WINE.

Status
Not open for further replies.