Need for more absorbent coverage, not thicker!

Would you buy an all around diaper?

• Yes

Votes: 58 78.4%
  • No

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 9 12.2%

• Total voters

neophyte

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
We live in exciting times where each month, it seems, we get a new diaper which gives us new prints and thicker absorbent pads.... but the coverage never seems to change.

Below the red outline represents the coverage today's diapers offer; take a good look at how little coverage there is in the front. The blue x shows an entire area which is not protected. As a guy I always thought it was odd that there was more coverage in the back and not the front where my accidents happens.

What I think we need and want is more coverage. The blue outline represents what I would want in terms of coverage.

Most importantly, and the reason why I need more/full coverage, is because if I am side sleeping or reclined in a chair (movie theater for example) my pee will make its way to the side where there is no absorbancy and it will leak out my side/hips (Black arrow). There isn't much, if any, absorbancy there.

In addition to added protection I think it would be more comfortable/enjoyable to have that extra padding around my sides; 360 diaper padding hugging my front, back, and sides. :love:

If you're wearing a disposable diaper then right now feel your side, is there any padding there? Likely not at all.

Does anyone else feel this way? Would you want a full coverage diaper?

P.S. I'm not wearing my diaper backwards!

d5.jpg

Reactions: WillFord384, 2012Stroke, perlFerret and 3 others
I would buy these, I also wouldn't mind having thicker diapers either, of course the placing of the pads is based on where pee will most likely end up

Reactions: AndyPandy and Lyokodl
More absorbent material in the front for when I am sitting and laying down would make a world of difference to me.
Uncontrollable bladder voiding sucks sometimes .

As a sometimes side or semi side sleeper that is something I would like to see. But not something I feel I would want to wear during the day. My hips are wide enough already, lol

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
Having the padding extend into the wing of the diaper would certainly help people who sleep on their side and also help with guys that their woo-woo stick likes to roam from the down position. I think it would be more comfortable though it would probably require that the cut of a diaper be a bit more generous to compensate and some of us may have to go up a size

Reactions: perlFerret
Are you listening #Northshore to these great ideas?

Whenever I have asked about this, I was told it would take a custom setup and the mfg's would not be interested. I thought the best thing you might be able to get made on current equipment would be a disposable prefold ala early Pampers. This could be done with the machines that currently make bed wetting pads, just make the pad thicker and use a solid white plastic back sheet. For me, it's not about function, it's about look and feel.

Reactions: stinkape
If I remember correctly at one time Attends 6 tape diapers once had a little broader coverage up front , more so than most of thair competition .
The first time I tried them I was in aww of how much they really felt like a diaper should but that's been nearly 30 years ago .
I still love the fit , feel and comfort a 6 tape diaper provides but they have been long lost to the 4 tape systems .

A wider diaper would help, too. Wider in padding and the plastic between the legs, as the plastic is what goes between the padding and the legs, to help with a more liquid-tight seal in tough conditions. Baby diapers are like that for a very good reason. Just my .000000002 Bitcoin.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joediaper
Chucky129 said:
Are you listening #Northshore to these great ideas?
I almost guarantee you that them and every other premium diaper company has already had these ideas on their own and/or has been told multiple times by multiple people.

The problem is that there are only a handful of factories that make all of the adult diapers in the world, and the machines there are made to basically apply a continuous sheet of absorbent core material to a continuous sheet of plastic and inner diaper material, then stamp out diaper shapes at the very end. There's no room in that design for a diaper with 360 padding, and a new custom diaper machine would be a huge capital investment on the order of tens of millions. As it is, most companies are just renting time on existing diaper machines.

Reactions: perlFerret and eastcoastdl
neophyte said:
We live in exciting times where each month, it seems, we get a new diaper which gives us new prints and thicker absorbent pads.... but the coverage never seems to change.

Below the red outline represents the coverage today's diapers offer; take a good look at how little coverage there is in the front. The blue x shows an entire area which is not protected. As a guy I always thought it was odd that there was more coverage in the back and not the front where my accidents happens.

What I think we need and want is more coverage. The blue outline represents what I would want in terms of coverage.

Most importantly, and the reason why I need more/full coverage, is because if I am side sleeping or reclined in a chair (movie theater for example) my pee will make its way to the side where there is no absorbancy and it will leak out my side/hips (Black arrow). There isn't much, if any, absorbancy there.

In addition to added protection I think it would be more comfortable/enjoyable to have that extra padding around my sides; 360 diaper padding hugging my front, back, and sides. :love:

If you're wearing a disposable diaper then right now feel your side, is there any padding there? Likely not at all.

Does anyone else feel this way? Would you want a full coverage diaper?

P.S. I'm not wearing my diaper backwards!

View attachment 44715
Great visual & technical write-up neophyte! Yes, side padding for side-sleepers a must!

Reactions: chamberpot
Sounds like the limitations are with the current machines that manufacture the absorbent pad, too bad it's so complicated to add a bit more padding to the front so that it extends into the wings a bit more 😕

JOCKMAN said:
Great visual & technical write-up neophyte! Yes, side padding for side-sleepers a must!

Thanks, Microsoft Paint at it's finest lol.

Reactions: JOCKMAN
Could you try a size larger to get that wrap around effect? Also consider a doubler.

I believe in a better (faster and more efficient) wetness distribution layer in the middle and in a better fit (tight on front, back and leg gathers, loose in the middle) more than in more fluff on the sides. What I would like instead is a larger core, possibility with higher standing containment elastic barriers.

If there was that type of coverage I wouldn't buy it. Mostly because the extra padding current diapers have doesn't actually work and only creates big leak zones on the sides. The main reason adult diapers don't wick up the back very well before leaking is because the extra padding is outside the leg gathers and if the manufacturers do add more padding I doubt they will move the leg gathers outside the padding area. If they were to create a full coverage diaper just like the old baby diapers I would most likely purchase some for nostalgia reasons but the padding in the rear wings would have to be trimmed up higher in the hip area and the elastics would need to be against the skin higher up as well.

Fiammaverde also has a good point. ADL's in adult diapers are way to thin and small to work properly. ABU mad the biggest mistake with their ADL in the PeekAbu by putting it at the base of the diaper against the backsheet and filling it with SAP. Having SAP in an ADL renders it useless by trapping fluids in the layer which limits it's distributive properties. Also having it on the backsheet does nothing for helping skin feel dryer when the diaper is wet. If you get a chance take a look at the ADL's in baby diapers and pullups. They are usually about 2mm thick, cover more than 50% of the topsheet and are attached/glued to the topsheet.

First of all:
YES
I
FREAKING
WANT
EXACTLY
THIS!!!!

Putting taller leak guards does absolutely nothing. The leak guards are not useful up high. And I can’t aim my “woo woo stick” down because frankly it’s too small. If aiming it down is what allows you to sleep on your side or pee while reclined such as in the movie theatre then I wouldn’t know. When I pee while reclined, pee immediately runs down the sides then breaches.

I solve this by placing a Northshore large booster on each side, horizontally. They’re very thin and hold a lot so i don’t feel that they’re adding any bulk that matters, at least while dry.

More than anything, I want the padding to go all the way into the wings. It solves a lot of problems for so many people. I understand that nobody’s machines are set up for this but I want action not excuses. I hope some company can get this done.

Reactions: neophyte and DiaperedBedwetter1998
While I am not a fan of mfg's commenting on user boards for the purpose of marketing, this is one area where I would welcome a discussion on the machines themselves. unfortunately, I suspect none of the AB mfg's have much information or knowledge on the equpment or they would be more conversant on this subject.

irnub said:
I almost guarantee you that them and every other premium diaper company has already had these ideas on their own and/or has been told multiple times by multiple people.

The problem is that there are only a handful of factories that make all of the adult diapers in the world, and the machines there are made to basically apply a continuous sheet of absorbent core material to a continuous sheet of plastic and inner diaper material, then stamp out diaper shapes at the very end. There's no room in that design for a diaper with 360 padding, and a new custom diaper machine would be a huge capital investment on the order of tens of millions. As it is, most companies are just renting time on existing diaper machines.
This is also what I’ve heard when this request has come up in the past.

I’d love it to see this, specifically a “MegaMax+” with added padding around the sides, but I’m not holding out hope that it’s feasible.

Crinklz/BetterDry have the best standing leak guards on the market right now IMO. They're 2.5" tall, have good elastic, and extend well into the front and back. Get a bag of those to try and see how they work out for you.

Also make sure you "activate" them by making sure they're not stuck down on the padding - lift them up and stretch them out, run a finger under them up the front and back on both sides to make sure they're ready to go.

bambinod said:
Crinklz/BetterDry have the best standing leak guards on the market right now IMO. They're 2.5" tall, have good elastic, and extend well into the front and back. Get a bag of those to try and see how they work out for you.

Also make sure you "activate" them by making sure they're not stuck down on the padding - lift them up and stretch them out, run a finger under them up the front and back on both sides to make sure they're ready to go.

Thats great to hear, I actually have a pack of Crinklz Astronauts arriving tomorrow. I'm hoping the can be my nighttime diaper (I dont pee much). They are less noisy than diapers with plastic landing pads, so I can sneak into bed with one on.

I'll be sure to pull the leg guards out and that's awesome news that they are nice and tall.

Back