Nebraska - Child Dumping State

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pramrider

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Other
Probably some of you have heard a little about this in the news. The State of Nebraska has a "safe haven" law which allows parents to hand over their infants to hospitals without facing charges of abandonment. With teens being left at hospitals, Nebraska Legislature sets hearing - CNN.com One problem, however - there was no age limit stipulated in the law which took affect in July such as all other states have done. As a result, at least one parent has come in from another state to *dump off* their (unwanted?) kid. These aren't infants, but older children - 13 out of 17 thrown away children were over the age of ten. The four younger kids were all left by the same person.

Now I heard on the news tonight, Nebraska is pushing through emergency legislation to put a cap on the age to a period of several days, since the law was designed to protect infants. I don't think Nebraska lawmakers ever even envisioned parents dropping off older kids the way they are. What the state is fearful of is that they'll be a sudden rush to dump other kids off before the law is revised, which they say will take about a week to do.

This is really sad! :frown:To see parents get to such a point of exasperation with their children they just want to literally throw them away instead of try to continue working with them to iron out problems, or seek help from professional family counselors. I mean, these kids are their own flesh and blood, their progeny who carry the family name, their offspring who would help care for them as parents in their elderly years. After putting so many years of work into raising them, how can you drive them to a hospital, dump them off, and ride away pretty much erasing them out of your life as though they never existed? Not saying there isn't any emotional feelings on the part of the parent(s) while doing this to their children, I'm sure there has to be. It just seems to me there had to be another solution to the problems that drove them to this extreme. Call me overly sensitive, it just saddens me very much to see families having serious problems between members, and for it to get to this point of actually dumping the kids like yesterday's trash really tears me up inside.:frown:

~Pramrider

Takashi

Always willing to give help to those who seek it.
Est. Contributor
Role
Carer
I agree with you 100% Pram; I think this is very sad.

In Florida we have our own Safe Haven law that allows parents to drop off their infants within the first 3 days of being born at a hospital, police station or fire department without facing any penaties. I think that is good but this is just discusting. The most reasent case I heard of was a mother dropped off her 8 yr old son at a Nebraska hospital and it made me want to cry. Think of all the unneeded drama that the boy is going to go through. :sad:

I really hope something changes.

Dream

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, , Carer
I feel sorry for the kids. Think about the all stuff they have to go through when they grow up and what are you going to tell that their mommy and daddy didn't want them so they dump you off at some place. It freaking sad and Nebraska should have put a freaking time limit on the law so crap like this don't happen.

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
This is stupid as hell and I don't get how it can happen either. People were raising these kids for years and they abandoned them like that? I can understand that some people are unfit mentally, physically or financial wise and there's no other option. But for the people that are just giving up on their family's are just complete you know whats.

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
During the Great Depression there were train loads of children who were taken to orphanages because their parents didn't have the money to take care of them. I knew a man who was a product of this. To make matters worse, he was one of many brothers and sisters, and they chose him to leave, while the others stayed. When I met him, he was in his 50's and living in the basement apartment of a house, his life destroyed. That's what happens to abandoned kids.

Lizzie

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Little
Here in Kansas, there was a lady that left her infant in a dumpster last year. I work with her and she's actualy a rather nice person.

recovery

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
Yes, it is pretty low for a parent just to leave their kid like that. The parent's may feel its ethical in the sense that the children may get some shelter and something to eat. But really, you have destroyed the emotional well being of the children. And as Dogboy pointed out. There lives will be pretty dim. But surely its nothing near as bad as having the children and just being extra tight on the budget, and asking for help. They are not the only one in such a state!

But then again, you ask yourselves, is this the kind of parent that actually cares for their children? Or would they be better off if they were cared by some one else?

I just hope they can make an exception and trace the children back to their parents. No one should really have to do this. They are just abusing the system for their own personal selfish benefit.

Lizzie

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Little
But you take into consideration that maybe the parent is completely unable to properly take care of the child/teen and just wanted them to have a better life

babyemo

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover,
i think this was needed, if for no other reason then to show the U.S just what some people will do to get rid of their kids, its exposing the underbelly of the US

SteveC1981

Contributor
Role
, Other, Private
At least it's good to hear that the legislature in Nebraska is trying to take steps to close the loopholes they created with this law. I have begun to read of news stories of parents taking road trips there just to make the drop-off and the last thing Nebraska wants is to become a destination.

Sarcasm aside, these "safe-haven" laws do still need to exist, as they encourage young parents to do the right thing, as opposed to just literally "throwing out" an unwanted baby (for some reason, I've read too many news stories where that happens with high school girls at the prom). For overwhelmed parents, there are plenty of social services that our government also loves to provide.

IncompleteDude

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
This is really sad! :frown:To see parents get to such a point of exasperation with their children they just want to literally throw them away instead of try to continue working with them to iron out problems, or seek help from professional family counselors. I mean, these kids are their own flesh and blood, their progeny who carry the family name, their offspring who would help care for them as parents in their elderly years. After putting so many years of work into raising them, how can you drive them to a hospital, dump them off, and ride away pretty much erasing them out of your life as though they never existed? Not saying there isn't any emotional feelings on the part of the parent(s) while doing this to their children, I'm sure there has to be. It just seems to me there had to be another solution to the problems that drove them to this extreme. Call me overly sensitive, it just saddens me very much to see families having serious problems between members, and for it to get to this point of actually dumping the kids like yesterday's trash really tears me up inside.:frown:

~Pramrider
I would probably be better if the state raised those kids than that kind of parent. The only reason they are putting this age cap in place is for financial reasons. It has nothing to do with ethics. If it did, the state would develop a superior child rearing solution than the current one with a big sign saying, "If you are an incompetent parent, bring your kids here." At the very least, they could take the kids for a month or two to give the parents a break before sending them back. If the kids are really the problems, then maybe a little state sanctioned boot camp wouldn't be so bad. Either way, the fact this is happening indicates a larger problem than just some legal loophole.

Corri

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Incontinent, Carer
AUHMERICKA! FUCK YEUAH!

Would you really want someone to parent kids they don't want tho? That could jsut lead to abuse or neglect.

juriev

Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Sissy
I think safe haven laws are a good idea, the problem with Nebraska is that theirs seriously overlooked age restrictions.

B

Butterfly Mage

Crap like this is why I wish there was a license required to procreate -- and that unfit parents could be denied the right to breed! The government licenses everything ELSE but all you have to do to create an entire new human being is screw. Geeez!

This has got to be one of the worst laws ever passed.

Pramrider

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Other
Crap like this is why I wish there was a license required to procreate -- and that unfit parents could be denied the right to breed!
I know, I hate to see children suffer emotionally (sometimes physically) because couples who can't even take care of themselves bring a little one into the bad situation, and the child eventually ends up being pulled out by child protection services for their own well being, or eventually dumped off on someone else. I really feel for children who end up in that kind of situation.

I'm always observing parents with their kids while out and about. Now, I realize as a parent myself, there's no such thing as a perfect parent, but I see so many who have no idea how to handle their children when little, and IMO shouldn't even be parents. Raising kids only gets more challenging as they get older and have to deal with more serious situations. If the parents can't instruct, discipline, and train their kids while very young, there's no way they're going to be able to help them stay on the right course when teen years come along. Though they'd never admit it, it 's probably some of these parents who were doing the *dumping* because they were incapable of being the supportive parents their child needed them to be as they got older.

~Pramrider

Customizer

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Pram, if you live on minimum wage, getting rid of the food hole dead weight is probably a good idea for desperados.

On the other hand, this is unfair to the children and taxpayers.

Twenty-six children and counting.

Wanna come live with me?

Pramrider

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Other
It's getting worse, Customizer:frown: - Teen is state's 30th 'safe haven' child - Crime & courts - a 17 year old was the 30th child dropped off. According to the article, someone even tried to drop off an 18 year old, but the state refuses anyone over 17. That's insane! An 18 year old is an adult in most states. getting booted out of their home doesn't make them a "safe haven" child, it makes them a homeless young adult.:frown:

~Pramrider

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Here in Kansas, there was a lady that left her infant in a dumpster last year. I work with her and she's actualy a rather nice person.
I don't think killing your baby makes a person nice. She might of seamed nice I guess but throwing another human in the trash when they aren't even able to get out seams uhhh.. I don't know, Evil? ( Edit: what I mean is that if I saw a person that seamed nice toss her own baby into a trash can most likely ending his/her life I would consider the person evil for the rest of my life. There's better options then to chuck a human into a trash bin like they are garbage. Not to mention its murder.)

(On a unrelated note didn't you leave?)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.