National Healthcare System

SeaLionMan

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Little
I wish we had cheap surgery here in the US as I may have some elective surgery in the future but I don’t want to have to file bankruptcy because of it.

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
The healthcare system in the U. S. is in a shambles. Theoretically, competition should keep prices down but there isn't much meaningful competition in the healthcare industry. Insulin has been around for 100 years, but a bottle can cost $150.00 if you don't have insurance. That's ridiculous. They have found ways to negate the influences of a free market, and our government is part of the problem, not the solution.

BabyTyrant

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Yeah, the Healthcare System in the United States is pretty bad given there can be no Generic forms of medication for a long time, which can make medicines cost up to $100s-$1000s per month, and what is even worse is a company that makes the medication can decide to increase the cost just for the hell of it.

I have heard of several cases where the cost of the medicine went up 1000%, for no other reason than corporate greed; they don't even need to lie about it, they may say "we want our profit margins to be higher" or some BS excuse like that, FatCat CEOs that don't care who suffers from their greed, it is all about making themselves more money no matter what.

I would love for there to be some sort of National Healthcare system, not that there aren't problems with such a thing, but at least it would help many people in need that struggle even without having expensive medication to pay for, which is much worse if you dont have good insurance.

For example we had insurance as a family that had a $2600 deductible, $2600 before insurance actually kicked in and paid for anything; and it wasn't cheap insurance either; and apparently this is becoming the norm in the Healthcare System; so in the coming years buyers may not have a choice of if they want a high deductible or low deductible plan.

I used to have to pay $450 per month of Seroquel XR, that means it would take about half the year before we were past the deductible and had insurance to help us, so early in the year was always much worse than later in the year.

From what I gathered it seems to be about Licenses/Patents, if a company making a medication let's the License/Patent run out, other companies can start making Generic Versions for sale, which will cost quite a bit less (possibly as low as 1 or 2% of the cost of the name brand), and thankfully I have better insurance and there is generic Seroquel XR now.

happilyderanged

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Little
Privatized health care is a sham, and I'm flabbergasted at how controversial universal health care is.

Nam Repaid

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Because it will be run by the same people that run the Department of Motor Vehicles.

Pawlf

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur
Try working the administration side of healthcare.

The insurance companies, unless a provider is in-network with any given insurance they really don't like to pay hardly anything.

Its been said the reason for the high cost of healthcare in the US is because of all the behind-the-scenes administrative work. It is a very time consuming, tedious, and headache inducing job. There is so much wasted $ within the US healthcare system its not even funny. Doctors charge a lot for their services but when the billing cycle comes around, may get 1/4 to at most 3/4 of what was originally billed depending on insurance and specific specialty of the provider. I've seen hundreds of thousands of dollars simply written off into space because insurance wasn't willing to pay and the patients sure as heck can't afford the high cost and the provider wasn't willing to fight for additional reimbursement.

Every health insurance company has slightly different rules as well and the rules can vary greatly from state to state so that just takes even more time to figure out why claims were paid and denied the way they were. So if you're wondering about the high cost its because of how time consuming it is to get paid for rendered services.

ArchtopK

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
In Europe, a large percentage of citizens actually buy private health insurance because they can get faster and better services that way. Of course they must still pay into the national system - even though they don't use it. Further, it is the governments that sell the private insurance. Think about that for a while. There is no perfect system. Canada seems to work but only because they can come here when the wait is too long there. If we were to adopt national health care, Canada would begin to sell private insurance, same as EU.

howiebabe

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby
If you think a national healthcare system would work, you haven't read any of the horror tales about the VA system.

RubberJin

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
In Europe, a large percentage of citizens actually buy private health insurance because they can get faster and better services that way.
Where in Europe are you referring to? Because in the UK it's pretty rare to have private insurance, and even then it's mostly low-end stuff where the NHS pick up anything beyond very basic things, or they pay the NHS so you can go to the front of the queue for some surgeries.

tiny

Est. Contributor
Role
Little
Where in Europe are you referring to? Because in the UK it's pretty rare to have private insurance, and even then it's mostly low-end stuff where the NHS pick up anything beyond very basic things, or they pay the NHS so you can go to the front of the queue for some surgeries.
In the Netherlands, it's illegal not to have private medical insurance. But insurers are unable to discriminate on age or health, and in most cases cannot refuse or impose any special conditions. It costs about €110 a month (and also covers any children you have), with a maximum excess of €385 a year.

RubberJin

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
In the Netherlands, it's illegal not to have private medical insurance. But insurers are unable to discriminate on age or health, and in most cases cannot refuse or impose any special conditions. It costs about €110 a month (and also covers any children you have), with a maximum excess of €385 a year.
Ah, in the UK the NHS gets its money from our taxes and no-one has to pay anything for using the NHS, although I think you pay a small (fixed) amount for prescription medicines (but there's relief for old/young/poor).

Private insurance is an "extra" that some people buy but it's very rare.

tiny

Est. Contributor
Role
Little
Ah, in the UK the NHS gets its money from our taxes and no-one has to pay anything for using the NHS, although I think you pay a small (fixed) amount for prescription medicines (but there's relief for old/young/poor).
Prescriptions are free in the UK, except for adults in England, where they're £8.80 per item. They usually give you two-months' worth of drugs at a time.

I have a pre-payment card which costs £104 a year and gives you unlimited free prescriptions.

parcelboy2

Padded Truck driver
Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Little
Prescriptions are free in the UK, except for adults in England, where they're £8.80 per item. They usually give you two-months' worth of drugs at a time.

I have a pre-payment card which costs £104 a year and gives you unlimited free prescriptions.
Snap Tiny , I have one as does my brother
I also hate to think how much 2 endoscopys and numerous blood tests I’ve had for my cealioac diagnosis would cost private

RubberJin

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I'm out of touch as thankfully I've not had any reason to get prescription medicine.

AddyShadows

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Diaperfur, Little
America's national healthcare, or just healthcare in general is a joke. Let me break down to you what is going on lately with our health care systems.

A couple years ago the pharmaceutical companies came out with this drug that was supposed to be so much better and not nearly as addicting as pain medication. I can't remember the name of the medication off the top of my head.
What happens is pharmaceutical companies push their product, your doctor gets paid to say "Hey try this new medicine" So that's what they did. They also phased out older medications for being "Too Risky." A lot of people got addicted, they later found out that, "Oh crap, it's even more addictive!"
So they took it away. This left many people addicted with no help at all.

Meanwhile, while this was happening, places like pain clinics were using their patients like guinea pigs, testing newer treatment methods on people who were fine with what they had. Would threaten their patients that they'd just stop seeing them if they didn't do all of these weird and wonderful (And not insurance covered) Tests. Many people would become addicted to these newer treatment methods that were more addictive. Some would choose to leave the pain clinics for fear of pretty much what happened, getting addicted. These people, mainly people who suffer from cronic pain, would have to rely on their Primary Care Physicians for treatment which they would get none. So these people would then go to the streets. Then we started to see people show up in the news over heroine.

Doctors, for fear of being "part of the problem" cut more and more patients off from their needed medications, this pushed more and more people to the streets. Be it anxiety medications, pain medications, anything really that was even remotely addictive. People started to suffer and turned to the streets to get relief. Their doctors weren't going to help them, the government wasn't going to help them, so what were they supposed to do? People went and bought drugs off the streets to relieve their pain and suffering and often would OD because they didn't know what they had or were doing.

As this problem got worse doctors continued to cut off patients, doctors now will not prescribe you pain medication if you're on any sort of anxiety control medication, or the opposite. The only way to get treatment is to go to the hospital. Where they pretty much tell you to take Ibuprofen or Tylonal.

The problem escalates, as the opioid epidemic gets worse, doctors are now looking at patients histories and denying them treatment on the basis of "Well you were on X medication in the past so you are automatically someone trying to get opioids." They won't say that to you directly, but its the truth.

Meanwhile, we open up "Safe Spaces" for people to shoot up, we offer clean needles and things like methadone to people to satisfy their 'need' but we can't treat honest people who are just trying to get pain relief, anxiety relief, so on and so forth. It's one of the main reasons weed isn't legal yet, the pharmaceutical companies don't know how to monopolize it to make money yet. In fact it's one of the reasons why it became illegal in he first place.

So you have all of that, plus an ass backwards insurance system that you can literally blame a part of it on every single president all the way back to the 50s, and still nothing is being done. The Pharmaceutical companies control healthcare. And until something is done about those greedy people, the health care system is going to be screwed regardless. You want an MRI of your head because your neurologist wants to make sure you don't have cancer or a tumor? (Or literally any other thing possibly wrong with you) PASS OVER THAT FIFTEEN GRAND PLEASE. OH Btw your insurance doesn't cover it because its deemed as "Not critical to your survival." But for some reason they're willing to continue to pay for your monthly medications at the pharmacy that make it livable, but not truly fixed.

The truth is, America's health care system is a manufactured shit show, no matter how you look at it, unless you have money or a doctor that actually cares (Which are becoming harder and harder to find) Good luck getting treatment that actually works aside from "HEY JUST TAKE THIS PILL THE PHARMACEUTICAL COMPANY TOLD ME TO GIVE YOU"

So there, now you all know the truth, and I really only just covered pain medication and the Opioid "Epidemic" . . . that was manufactured entirely to get money from the population. Because god forbid I can get my anxiety medication, or my parents can get pain medication for their authritus, lupis, so on and so forth without jumping through hoops, but we literally hand out narcan like its Halloween candy and it's Halloween every day. One of the things they can start doing is y'know charging you narcan uses, since you know an ambulance costs like eight grand but any old police officer can just shoot you full of narcan and you will stop ODing and worst thing that happens is you go to jail for a few days. Because y'know, that's just the right way to do it.

I apologize for the rant, but our system is so ass backwards right now, and has been for years, many many years, since before Trump, since before Obama, since before Bush, it's just gotten worse since those people. Even if they want to help, the pharmaceutical companies are so far up the governments ass that they're the head of the puppet, and the big oil/fossil fuels aren't even controlling the arms anymore.

So do with that information what you want. I have to go make sure my mother doesn't pass out because the entire medical community in my town keeps passing her to other doctors and refuses to treat her for what we're pretty sure is her thyroid medication not absorbing right. . . since that's what the blood tests said. . . but no doctors want to touch that! No no no, we need to take care of the addicts first and just tell everyone else to fuck off. Because y'know. . . that's how you prevent more people from becoming addicts. . . sigh.

Bose

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Sissy
Some companies in the UK offer private healthcare to their employess and there are also private insurance schemes but these typically cover dental care (which is pretty poorly funded on the NHS) and fairly trivial needs. Major and chronic illness is almost always dealt with by the NHS. Even stuff like provision of nappies (diapers) or gluten free food by prescription is covered. It’s also very, very rare to see medication or healthcare related items advertised on TV or radio here, unlike in the States.

parcelboy2

Padded Truck driver
Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Little
Ah, I found it - US medical bill for being bitten by a snake - $153,000:

https://imgur.com/gallery/BbQgU8a

God bless the NHS is all I can say!
Yep :thumbsup: Scalded my foot last week :frown: already had 2 dressings done and got at least 2 more visits plus a Flu jab and a Doctors appointment today as well for a sick note and sort out my tabs , all free to me but in US $$$$$

IzzyFox

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur
Even having health insurance in the USA is no guarantee against high costs. I am lucky enough to have an outstanding insurance policy that covers pretty much everything after a modest co-pay (however, this coverage would be lost if I got laid off), but others can still pay quite a bit out of pocket for a procedure, either via high deductibles or the policy not covering everything. Contrary to what the private insurance lobbyists and their bought politicians will tell you, people aren't dying in droves from lack of healthcare access in countries that have single-payer systems and such.

CaterpillarSick

Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Little
If you think a national healthcare system would work, you haven't read any of the horror tales about the VA system.
To be fair though, the VA is an example of a health care system that has been poorly funded, managed, and allowed to lapse into incompetency. I think extrapolating to the entire US health system would be a dubious proposition. I can't say that it would be better, but I highly doubt the government would allow it to reach such a poor state when a large portion of voters are utilising the system.