Nappies with tapes that were marketed towards the over 3s

happiesxxl said:
An older thread on this website talked about the Pathmark Super Toddler Diapers. Here is a picture of them. Does anyone know if other grocery stores in America had a similar diaper?
I paid big bucks for a pack of these off of Ebay a year or so back... waste of money sadly... the sides didn't stretch so they really didn't fit any better than a diaper today. The only good part was they were thick and plastic backed... I ended up using them all, but had to use tape and other diaper sides to make it work properly...

happiesxxl said:
Hi. I collect press photos and happen to have a Sainsburys press photo from 1995 showing the Night Junior diaper on the shelves. Looks like it was only rated to 25kg (or 55 lbs).

In America in the 1980s and 1990s it was somewhat of a taboo to talk about or show older kids wearing baby diapers but I am sure a lot of bedwetting kids did wear them (including me). They did not market them for "older" school aged kids like they did in Europe and the Middle East. In Europe and the Middle East in the 1980s and 1990s it seems it was almost encouraged, and certainly marketed for, older kids wearing large sized baby diapers for bedwetting. Moltex made a Junior plus size showing an older 6-7 year old on the packaging and being rated at for over 20kg.
Brilliant! Those Sainsburys night time nappies were ones I remember seeing! My faulty brain thought the packaging was purple, but they’re definitely the ones!

I just wish I could get a better focussed picture of them. I swiped some of the nappies themselves (in the previous packaging incarnation) and...my oh my...they were HUGE on me with very smooth buttery rubbery plastic. Gives me the tingles just thinking about them!

In fact, top right just by the woman’s hand, you can just make out some of the previous packaging of the Sainsburys brand nappies (stripes and teddies) which must have been on their way out when this picture was taken. I can even see the ones in the orange packaging that I remember!

Having not seen these since they were on the shelves, I’m reasonably impressed with my memory. These crops show what I’m talking about...

1593463326317.jpeg
1593463365880.jpeg

Last edited:
PCS said:
Brilliant! Those Sainsburys night time nappies were ones I remember seeing! My faulty brain thought the packaging was purple, but they’re definitely the ones!

I just wish I could get a better focussed picture of them. I swiped some of the nappies themselves (in the previous packaging incarnation) and...my oh my...they were HUGE on me with very smooth buttery rubbery plastic. Gives me the tingles just thinking about them!

In fact, top right just by the woman’s hand, you can just make out some of the previous packaging of the Sainsburys brand nappies (stripes and teddies) which must have been on their way out when this picture was taken. I can even see the ones in the orange packaging that I remember!

Having not seen these since they were on the shelves, I’m reasonably impressed with my memory. These crops show what I’m talking about...

View attachment 42441
View attachment 42442
Are you also a collector? do you have anything from this time period or before in your collection?

happiesxxl said:
Are you also a collector? do you have anything from this time period or before in your collection?
Sadly not. Those crops are from the picture you posted so that I could show people what I was talking about.

I would love to see more picture of UK packaging and nappies from the late 80s and early-mid 90s.

The only “collectible” things I have are an A+ brief and an Attends Waistband Style (6 tape) which were discontinued some time ago. Not quite in the same league!

I often wonder what a full pack of Peaudouce Child Size would fetch now on eBay- quite a lot, I imagine!

Thank you for posting the Sainsbury’s picture. Great memories in just one shot.

I also remember the Molfix from holidays to Spain and being jealous that the boy on the pack looked about my age at the time. I remember thinking that looked very happy to be still wearing nappies.

That Sainsbury's shot is incredible - thank you for posting! Any more like it from the UK shops would be appreciated.

Last edited:
billybobtombo said:
That Sainsbury's shot is incredible - thank you for posting! Any more like it from the UK shops would be appreciated.
I second that!

I remember sometimes plucking up the courage to pick up and handle nappy packages as a child in the supermarket (often having snuck away on the pretext of using the toilet).

I remember that the unisex night time nappies felt thicker and heavier than the equivalent daytime boy/girl junior nappies through the packaging. I longed to wear them and liked to
imagine myself as the child on the front of the pack. I used to fantasise that the child was actually weeing in their sleep as the photograph was being taken- same with the early DryNites packages.

Drynites had not yet arrived in the UK around the time of that picture. I wonder what proportion of parents of bedwetters over the age of 3 bought those special “night time” nappies for their children rather than just use a rubber or plastic sheet.

I suspect that a decent proportion did, given that I saw nappies in the bedrooms of quite a few friends around the ages of 4-6.

Amusingly, though, when I asked about them the reaction was always the same- they always blushed and said that the nappies were “left over from when I was a baby”.

I never had a single friend say to me “Yes, I wear those at night because I still wet the bed”.

Thank you again for posting.

Reactions: WillFord384, XLdiapers and ChocChip
happiesxxl said:
Hi. I collect press photos and happen to have a Sainsburys press photo from 1995 showing the Night Junior diaper on the shelves. Looks like it was only rated to 25kg (or 55 lbs).

In America in the 1980s and 1990s it was somewhat of a taboo to talk about or show older kids wearing baby diapers but I am sure a lot of bedwetting kids did wear them (including me). They did not market them for "older" school aged kids like they did in Europe and the Middle East. In Europe and the Middle East in the 1980s and 1990s it seems it was almost encouraged, and certainly marketed for, older kids wearing large sized baby diapers for bedwetting. Moltex made a Junior plus size showing an older 6-7 year old on the packaging and being rated at for over 20kg.

not going to lie seeing a shelf full of what I know are plastic backed diapers gets me all excited.

Reactions: babybobby
Sam I am said:
not going to lie seeing a shelf full of what I know are plastic backed diapers gets me all excited.
Halcyon days... they really were wonderfully thick and huge plastic backed nappies!

I cna almost feel myself being a near identical Sainsbury's aisle to that - the smell, the sound...it's just all "there" in my memory. I remember when allowed off on my own in the supermarket always walking down the nappy aisle. Unlike @PCS I never had the courage to pick up the packages but wanted to so desperately.

Some of the packages in that pic - I didn't know I remembered but I clearly do given the strong memories seeing them have stirred.

I'd guess that the pics was early 90s rather than late 80s?

Last edited:
billybobtombo said:
I cna almost feel myself being a near identical Sainsbury's aisle to that - the smell, the sound...it's just all "there" in my memory. I remember when allowed off on my own in the supermarket always walking down the nappy aisle. Unlike @PCS I never had the courage to pick up the packages but wanted to so desperately.

Some of the packages in that pic - I didn't know I remembered but I clearly do given the strong memories seeing them have stirred.

I'd guess that the pics was early 90s rather than late 80s?
The two different varieties of packaging present there suggest to me it’s early 90s.

I wish I could see an in-focus shot of the Sainsbury’s Performers Night Time nappies. I craved those every time we went to Sainsbury’s and envied the child on the pack.

I used to tell myself that when I was grown up I would be able to buy nappies whenever I wanted and wear them. Guess I was right!

I’m just glad that the plastic backed medical nappies available now (in particular the L4, Molicare Maxi, Formacare X3, Drylife Super and Betterdry) all “hit the spot” in terms of replicating (for me) the fit and feel of what was available then.

Reactions: WillFord384
I am from USA so never had the pleasure of having these Sainburys nappies. Did they have a perfume smell to them? What did it smell like if it did?

I also collect vintage magazine advertisements.

This Pampers ad from Germany in 1992 is quite intriguing. It appears to make the assumption that these older kids wear Pampers. Does anyone else get that interpretation? Anyone on here from Germany that rembers this advertising campaign?

Attachments

• 1992_Pampers_Germany_Older_Kids_Playground_resize_watermark.jpg
    1992_Pampers_Germany_Older_Kids_Playground_resize_watermark.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 204
1593539286193.jpeg

I swiped a few of these from a particular friend’s 3 year old brother on a fairly regular basis whenever I went round to play when I was quite young. This was around the time
I still had access to a fairly regular supply of my sister’s, which was the girl equivalent. I couldn’t tell the difference apart from the blue waistband. They felt nice to wear though.

Slightly OT, but they certainly fitted five year old me!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Iron, xxPampersBoyxx, WillFord384 and 1 other person
PCS said:
View attachment 42467

I swiped a few of these from a particular friend’s 3 year old brother on a fairly regular basis whenever I went round to play when I was quite young. This was around the time
I still had access to a fairly regular supply of my sister’s, which was the girl equivalent. I couldn’t tell the difference apart from the blue waistband. They felt nice to wear though.
How old was your sister at the time? Did you wear the pink Pampers for fun?

1992 Pampers Walker Ad From Canada shows an older toddler sleeping and mentions "Because Potty Training Doesn't Happen Overnight..."

Attachments

• 1992_Pampers_Canada_Walker_Bedwetter_resized_watermark.jpg
    1992_Pampers_Canada_Walker_Bedwetter_resized_watermark.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 248
Reactions: WillFord384, tdlrfootedpjs and KCA
1995 Chicco diapers from Italy had an 18-30kg Junior size (gender specific!) and a night time unisex version that appears to be the same huge size.

Attachments

• 1995_Chicco_Italy_18-30kg_night_resized_watermark.jpg
    1995_Chicco_Italy_18-30kg_night_resized_watermark.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 149
1999 Sangenic Windel Twister (Germany), essentially a diaper Genie, shows it can be used for older childrens diapers and shows an older toddler wearing Pampers.

Attachments

• 1999_Sangenic_WidelTwister_Older_Boy_resized_watermark.jpg
    1999_Sangenic_WidelTwister_Older_Boy_resized_watermark.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 274
happiesxxl said:
How old was your sister at the time? Did you wear the pink Pampers for fun?

I’m 3 1/2 years older than her.

She day trained at 2 and she stopped wearing at night shortly before or after she turned 3, so I had a readily available stash until I was about 6 1/2.

I wore the pink Pampers as it was all I could get hold of initially. I don’t have any sissy, cross dressing or trans tendencies but will happily wear a pink nappy or a DryNites for Girls (8-15 size) to this day as a result.

This is what I was usually wearing back then...

1593541002887.jpeg
I have “told all” here...

Enjoy!

Last edited:
happiesxxl said:
1999 Sangenic Windel Twister (Germany), essentially a diaper Genie, shows it can be used for older childrens diapers and shows an older toddler wearing Pampers.
Wow! That picture could have been me at about 4! I remember I used to look at myself in the bathroom mirror whilst wearing them (often wondering why on earth I wanted to wear and wet nappies so badly!)

happiesxxl said:
I also collect vintage magazine advertisements.

This Pampers ad from Germany in 1992 is quite intriguing. It appears to make the assumption that these older kids wear Pampers. Does anyone else get that interpretation? Anyone on here from Germany that rembers this advertising campaign?
Interesting, unless the ad has been doctored in some way?

I always had the impression (from holidays) that continental Europeans took a more relaxed attitude to children wearing nappies longer anyway. Just like schooling.

In the UK the following ages were the standard expected milestones back when I was a child:

Out of nappies in the daytime - around 2.
Out of nappies at night- around 3.
Formal education starts- around 4.

As I understand it, in some continental European countries formal education doesn’t start until 6 or 7? Perhaps they weren’t in such a rush to toilet train either.

As I’ve said before, I would be driven wild with jealousy when, aged about 4-6, I would often be on cheap package holidays (Spanish and Greek Islands) and would see children who we’re around my own age playing poolside or on the beach (sometimes playing with me even though there was a language barrier) who were wearing nothing but nappies.

Reactions: WillFord384 and XLdiapers
Back