Nappies with tapes that were marketed towards the over 3s

PCS

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
In the 1980s in the UK and Europe, long before Pull-Ups and DryNites hit the market, Peaudouce produced a plastic backed tape-on nappy called Child Size, which was actively marketed as being for children aged 3-5 years.

Here’s the magazine ad which proves this wasn’t just wishful thinking.

Both my partner and I wore these to bed for bed wetting (me to age 3 3/4, her to age 5).

Were there any other nappies that were specifically marketed for older children before Pull-Ups and DryNites came on the scene?

I remember seeing Sainsbury’s Performers Night Time Nappies in Sainsbury’s supermarkets in the early 1990s (I’d love to see a picture of the packaging again!) which had an older sleeping child on the front but no age range that I can remember.

1582065811658.jpeg

Reactions: Rezzu and littlejunioruk1982
I think they even had a larger size than that, all I remember is seeing a package, the pack was green.

Reactions: shrimper
Interesting they still thought ti sensible to use a child crawling - quite a babyish act.

I remember seeing these, the ads in particular, but I never tried one sadly.

In Australia, Cosies nappies in the early 1990s were the first to introduce 'junior' size nappies. (I'm certain, but happy to be corrected, that they pre-dated junior sized Huggies.) On the packaging was a blurb that said they were designed for larger that average babies or kids who "need the security of a nappy at night".

Reactions: Lyokodl and XLdiapers
KCA said:
On the packaging was a blurb that said they were designed for larger that average babies or kids who "need the security of a nappy at night".
Ooh, I love marketing speak like that.

I love the “security of a nappy at night”!

Sends similar tingles to the first part of the observation in the UK Pampers Trainers advert that “nappies are safe...but you can’t wait to be out of them.”

Last edited:
Reactions: KooshyX
What does the “slips” mean? Must be a Europe or UK thing. Like the Tena slip maxi and all that. What exactly is the “slips” referring to?

We don’t find this word on American diaper products.

Last edited:
Slip is a word that seems to be used to refer to a underwear in French European Country if that could help you out.

Nearly all the manufacturers of that time made a 'child' size dispy (a bit debatable as to what's defined as child sized), even the cheap, local brand which I began buying after Cosifits became scarce did a child size.

My 2 cents..

Average weight of an 8 year old is around 55 lbs? I had a friend the same age who would occasionally have to wear a diaper to school. That was 2nd grade. She was on the smaller size compared to all the other girls in my class.

It was plastic backed diaper because she kept some in her backpack(we stored our backpacks in the same locker and occasionally she'd forget to zip the backpack closed). If you factor in the date, 1993..... those were Pampers Walker Size 3( 26-35lbs)

CodyBaby said:
I think they even had a larger size than that, all I remember is seeing a package, the pack was green.

Was it these?
div10.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: WillFord384 and PlastiBrain
12srepaid said:
Woah... 40+ kilos... 88 pounds...

What I find interesting is that, isn't it generally thought that older kids being in diapers was more of a stigma 30+ years ago? So you would think these products wouldn't have existed... but I guess a need was recognized, and then they just faded out as pull-ups came on the scene...

Speaking from the cerebral palsy place, there will always be children who, for whatever reason, usually it's immobility, need tapes. Even at 88 pounds, wrestling those with abnormal muscle tone into pull ups, would be like wrestling a scared, resistant octopus into a bag. When it's severe CP, and one can't change alone, tapes work better.

Reactions: BlameBaby, Aby and 12srepaid
Some toddlers are just big, or tall, or a bit chubby. Yeah, a 5-year-old who still wets the bed, or a 3 1/2-year-old who's not quite ready to toilet train could wear them, but I choose to see diaper sizes as just that: sizes, not ages.

Reactions: 12srepaid
The junior ultra remind me of a local diaper in the states from the late 80's to the mid 90's, they were sold under pathmark food stores and called super toddler plus, same 4 tabbed diaper, expect there's had an animal character print across the tape panel. I never seen these in person, but I do remember seeing these on early internet forums and know they exist.

KimbaFoxNatsume said:
Woah... 40+ kilos... 88 pounds...

What I find interesting is that, isn't it generally thought that older kids being in diapers was more of a stigma 30+ years ago? So you would think these products wouldn't have existed... but I guess a need was recognized, and then they just faded out as pull-ups came on the scene...

Crazy isn’t it. That’s more than DOUBLE the size guide for Pampers size 8s!

I always wondered whether that was one of those “pastie” fake diaper ads or packs that were doing the rounds online many years ago (like the unisex DryNites age 10-17 size in the red packaging, or the Pull-Ups ad featuring Britney Spears!).

A waist size of up to 110cm is 43 inches!

40 kilos is just over 6 stone, though, which doesn’t seem to add up...

Last edited:
Yes that waist size seems totally implausible doesn’t it. 6 stone with a 43 inch waist... hmmm.

Will do some Googling!

Last edited:
Looking at the age range of those “childsize” diapers, it’s very reminiscent of when Pampers first introduced their size 6 (or Junior/XL for those overseas) back in the mid-late 90’s, and is very much on-par with today’s size 6 diapers. To me it seems like they could be equivalent to that, and the terminology is just another way of tacking a larger size to the end of the range.

PCS said:
In the 1980s in the UK and Europe, long before Pull-Ups and DryNites hit the market, Peaudouce produced a plastic backed tape-on nappy called Child Size, which was actively marketed as being for children aged 3-5 years.

Here’s the magazine ad which proves this wasn’t just wishful thinking.

Both my partner and I wore these to bed for bed wetting (me to age 3 3/4, her to age 5).

Were there any other nappies that were specifically marketed for older children before Pull-Ups and DryNites came on the scene?

I remember seeing Sainsbury’s Performers Night Time Nappies in Sainsbury’s supermarkets in the early 1990s (I’d love to see a picture of the packaging again!) which had an older sleeping child on the front but no age range that I can remember.

View attachment 38574
Hi. I collect press photos and happen to have a Sainsburys press photo from 1995 showing the Night Junior diaper on the shelves. Looks like it was only rated to 25kg (or 55 lbs).

In America in the 1980s and 1990s it was somewhat of a taboo to talk about or show older kids wearing baby diapers but I am sure a lot of bedwetting kids did wear them (including me). They did not market them for "older" school aged kids like they did in Europe and the Middle East. In Europe and the Middle East in the 1980s and 1990s it seems it was almost encouraged, and certainly marketed for, older kids wearing large sized baby diapers for bedwetting. Moltex made a Junior plus size showing an older 6-7 year old on the packaging and being rated at for over 20kg.

Attachments

• IMGresized2.jpg
    IMGresized2.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 362
  • DX07D1 Moltex (22 ud. Junior Plus (+20 kg.))_resized.jpg
    DX07D1 Moltex (22 ud. Junior Plus (+20 kg.))_resized.jpg
    336.2 KB · Views: 345
Last edited:
Reactions: WillFord384
An older thread on this website talked about the Pathmark Super Toddler Diapers. Here is a picture of them. Does anyone know if other grocery stores in America had a similar diaper?

Attachments

• vintage-pathmark-super-toddler-diapers-plastic-backed-free-shipping-adult-baby-48207915.jpg
    vintage-pathmark-super-toddler-diapers-plastic-backed-free-shipping-adult-baby-48207915.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 275
Back